I don't know if I like my job

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

I don't think I could work full time. It is not due to laziness, it's just due to anxiety, depression and being stress-prone. Yes, all humans can get depressed and anxious at some point in their lives, and the majority of people get stressed. But I am more prone to anxiety, depression and stress to a point where it can be disabling. Plus I have very low confidence and low self-esteem, which doesn't help.

I know there are people out there who have no choice but to work full time, and I don't know how they do it. Maybe they have better coping mechanisms and can adapt to pressure better than I can? I'm glad I've finally got a job, but I don't think I am too happy there, and I don't think I could work there full time. I just hope there doesn't come a time where I have to work full time, because I think it will just drive me to suicide.

I work as a cleaner at a care home, and I don't mind the work, but some of the residents there can be very cantankerous. I've been shouted at, told to get out of their room, asked if I wanted sex, and someone has even aggressively grabbed me and started yelling in my face. I know they are old and ill and have lost their self-awareness and the general rules of social interaction they once had, but it still makes me feel a bit worried sometimes. Also we have to work under strict instructions, the line managers are on to you over such small things, even if what you're doing aren't wrong. I find that all stressful aswell.

No, I don't think I could work full time, unless I was working somewhere where I had to get the bus (because I love getting buses) and it was just very easy work where I am not under strict pressure, like sorting goods in the back of a shop (no customer interaction involved), or inputting data on to a computer (no customer interaction via telephone involved), or just cleaning somewhere quiet where you're just left to it where there's no people while you're cleaning, so it is all kept nice and clean and nobody's in your way or watching you and you can get it all done by yourself. I have been looking for this type of work but I never got in, I only got this job because I knew someone who worked there. That's what it seems to be now; ''it's not what you know, it's who you know''. Even the jobcentre had admitted that.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

When I was 30 years old, and finally realized I was doomed to forever work in a nursing home, I did try to kill myself. What? A life of toiling away like that just to make money to pay the rent? No way! But I'm older now and, yes, defeated. The difference between working and not working is having a home and homelessness. It's really that simple. It sucks but that's what spurs me on.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

The time I had a part time job it seemed like all I did was work and sleep. I don't know how people even manage to do a full time job.

When my mother is gone I'll be screwed because I don't know how to find a job or do anything. I wouldn't be able to get or keep a job to support myself regardless of the consequences.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:00 pm

I finally had to give up and go on disability.

Nobody will hire me because of prejudice,
I can do electronics if they'd only pull their heads
out from their armpits.

I am no good at anything else.

Just electronics.

and maybe imitating voices and making ar radio voice.

I have my own video shop now, I edit video if
someone will have me do it.

I can't get rich doing it but its the only thing in the
world that I can do. don't make enuf money doing it
to live on either.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:31 am

I hear you, i've been considering working full time for months just because of the extra money. But the people i'd deal with would probably drive me nuts.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:37 am

Well I suppose it's either I move out and have to work full time and get bullied by young druggie neighbours, or I stay at home with my parents but be independant and stay here where it's nice and peaceful and local and I just work part time where I'm happy.

Last edited by envirozentinel on 03 Jul 2020, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.: at user's request

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:34 pm

I went on disability and I've since than unleashed my inner Hippie Mod. I also have subsidized housing where I live. I can also get an extra $100 a month just to volunteer once a week. I guess I have it made. I'll always be working class unless I man up and get a job, but I do have it made.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 5:53 am

I work part time with lot of difficulty i found a part time job

the problem i face there is on weekends when other school teachers come in and i have to do social interaction
i find it extremely difficult

and often i get comments like are you quite from childhood???why dont you smile???why are you quite when i am around only???
i dont attend office parties and no interaction outside working hours
i mean i am not invited and when i invite i am politely declined

but yes i cant work full time