Page 4 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:
I'm utterly PROUD to be white and decidedly oppose mixing of the races and "multicultural" junk. Apartheid would be a good thing, however I didn't say that others should get inferior stuff unless they prove they don't deserve better.

Well there are many races in the world, a whole planet of mixing of the races.....so what ever will you do?

There are only some people who are into that interracial stuff, i.e., mixing the races. Otherwise, there would be no more distinguishable races but only one single hodgepodge.

Yes, the state of affairs is sad and worrying. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about other people and their behavior. That doesn't mean, however, that I have to approve of it.

Do you have any rational basis for that? (Just so you know, "Ew, foreigner cooties" doesn't count.)

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:24 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
I dont think I would go that far though but that is probably what it would take those constantly hateful to change their opinions of caucasians.

I'm not sure they would change their minds after something like that. You have to remember that these people are already hateful and nasty about it. There is no reason to suspect that they wouldn't continue.

You actually can't change someone's mind against their will, and their opinions aren't based on reality, so there is no reason for you to feel guilty for their messed-up ideas.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

Is there any possibility some of this pre-occupation with redemption is slightly obsessional? It smacks a bit of religious ruminations in OCD or something.

Do you have OCD?

I know you said you grew up in an area where you were treated badly and expereinced dislike for being a white person, but the way you take it all intensely personally and want to cleanse yourself and others seems obsessional to me. Maybe.

What do you think?

This is not a criticism by the way, it is a genuine observation.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
There are only some people who are into that interracial stuff, i.e., mixing the races. Otherwise, there would be no more distinguishable races but only one single hodgepodge.

Yes, the state of affairs is sad and worrying. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about other people and their behavior. That doesn't mean, however, that I have to approve of it.

I'm sorry, what? Why do you care about preserving the races? I mean, honestly, if humanity continues the way it has been, we're probably all going to end up some shade of brown, but why is this a bad thing, exactly? It harms no one.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:13 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
I'm not sure they would change their minds after something like that. You have to remember that these people are already hateful and nasty about it. There is no reason to suspect that they wouldn't continue.

Exactly - hardened racists will continue to be hardened racists, regardless of what anyone else does. They're like people with serious drink problems in a way - they have to realise themselves that what they're doing isn't acceptable or good for them.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Sometimes thoughts of gathering by the masses and announcing an apology followed by performing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku would redeem the wrong doings that whites have done. But I would be considered extreme and taking things to far though but sometimes I think thats what it would have to take for such a slate to be wiped clean. I dont think I would go that far though but that is probably what it would take those constantly hateful to change their opinions of caucasians.

Aspieotaku, you probably need to take a few steps back as far as your thought process.

Aspieotaku, you possibly need counseling in order to deal with being discriminated against/dealing with racist attitudes.

Any person who associates you with slavery in your generation--is a moron. Any person who associates you with anything done to them by another--is a moron.

You can feel bad for something POSSIBLY in your bloodline was responsible for--and keep in mind unless you have definitive proof that not every white person owned slaves or was even for slavery--infact it is due--to many people who are caucasian that slavery was abolished; That being said--you're not responsible.

Example; Someone in my family killed someone.. I knew the person and was raised with them, okay I feel bad, maybe something I could've said or done differently to guide them past their ignorant minded mentallity that taking a life is ok. STILL not responsible.

Versus; Someone born 200 years ago in my bloodline kills someone.. What could I even remotely have done differently? You were born 1982-1981 not 1840. You're not responsible-- on any level--even marginally.

There are many people of many races and cultures responsible for great atrocities--You have to be responsible for your own actions first--before others.

Ignorant mentalities will never stop existing. Ever. It'll die down somemore eventually--it already has a great deal, thats it. If it makes you feel better, people have already apologized for slavery. Bill Clinton did in 1998.

Last edited by Greatsharkbite on 22 Jan 2013, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

OP, you definitely shouldn't feel ashamed of your race! My uni has a lot of left wing nuts (i.e fanatics) who have expressed some very racist views against white people and these are just accepted and announced openly.....which I think is horrible. It seems like your opinion of your race is based on these kind of racist views.

As others have mentioned people of colour have committed many atrocities as well as white people....the genocide in Rwanda, for example. Also white people (countries that are predominately white) have done a lot of good things in the world...set up charities for starving children in other countries, taken in refugees who are shunned elsewhere, in Canada and the northern U.S. before and during the civil war white people helped slaves escape in secret from the south, during world war 2 in Holland families hid jews in their attics when the Nazi's were after them -risking their own lives- in Denmark non Jews risked their lives during world war 2 by wearing a star of david (which was the sign to identify the jews so they could be persecuted). The point is all races have both nice and naughty deeds which can be attributed to them.

You have just as much a right to be proud , certainly not ashamed of your heritage and ethnic background as anyone from any other ethnic background does.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 3:42 am

I have come to realization that I have done what a could do and have decided to no longer feel ashamed of being who I am or what ethnic group I bear I nor have my ancestors have partaken in the atrocities others have done and as a result I forgive myself for thinking as such however hope to stand up against the oppression against others who are different. Coincidentially its MLK day and I totally forgot about that. Dr King was after the same kind of goals to end oppression he was a great man and a great leader. May we all join together and live in harmony for we are all human. For the ones who are racisist towards whites in general they are going against what Dr Martin Luther King stood for. Racism is racism and I wish it could come to an end. I care a lot and wish I could do more and I welcome all walks of life and consider them family.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 4:36 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
OP, you definitely shouldn't feel ashamed of your race! My uni has a lot of left wing nuts (i.e fanatics) who have expressed some very racist views against white people and these are just accepted and announced openly.....which I think is horrible. It seems like your opinion of your race is based on these kind of racist views.

As others have mentioned people of colour have committed many atrocities as well as white people....the genocide in Rwanda, for example. Also white people (countries that are predominately white) have done a lot of good things in the world...set up charities for starving children in other countries, taken in refugees who are shunned elsewhere, in Canada and the northern U.S. before and during the civil war white people helped slaves escape in secret from the south, during world war 2 in Holland families hid jews in their attics when the Nazi's were after them -risking their own lives- in Denmark non Jews risked their lives during world war 2 by wearing a star of david (which was the sign to identify the jews so they could be persecuted). The point is all races have both nice and naughty deeds which can be attributed to them.

You have just as much a right to be proud , certainly not ashamed of your heritage and ethnic background as anyone from any other ethnic background does.
You are right it has been a great contributing factor in my thought process. It is unfortunatly openly acceptable in my school as well. I happen to live in the SF Bay area although most people arent racist as opposed to where I used to live and grew up in highschool reverse racism seems to be ok.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:13 am

It's natural to be proud of a group you identify with. I think feeling ashamed takes more thought and requires being able to see beyond your own group's predjudice's.

But you have to be sure to always see the whole picture and distinguish the individual from the group. Otherwise its quite easy to get caught up in new predjudices.

Personally I do not ascribe the concept that the 'Sins of the Parents' transfer to the child.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:
I'm utterly PROUD to be white and decidedly oppose mixing of the races and "multicultural" junk. Apartheid would be a good thing, however I didn't say that others should get inferior stuff unless they prove they don't deserve better.

Well there are many races in the world, a whole planet of mixing of the races.....so what ever will you do?

Do you have any rational basis for that? (Just so you know, "Ew, foreigner cooties" doesn't count.)

That's not about foreigners but other races who may live here even much longer than my own ancestors do. And it's restricted to areas where I can choose. For instance, if I hire a person I can make a choice. And I also make a choice in my private realm, that is, who I accept as acquaintance or invite to my place.

As far as my job is concerned I can't make a choice.

You might say that's not a strictly logical reason, but I simply don't like members of races other than white regardless their nationality or culture and I avoid to get in touch with those people.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:

I'm sorry, what? Why do you care about preserving the races? I mean, honestly, if humanity continues the way it has been, we're probably all going to end up some shade of brown, but why is this a bad thing, exactly? It harms no one.

That's a matter of taste, but you never know how things might change. Still most people get married and propagate with members of their own race. What is undoubtedly a good thing.

I don't care what might be the case in a hundred years or so, but in my lifetime there will be clearly distinguishable races.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:
Yuugiri wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:

That's a matter of taste, but you never know how things might change. Still most people get married and propagate with members of their own race. What is undoubtedly a good thing.

I don't care what might be the case in a hundred years or so, but in my lifetime there will be clearly distinguishable races.

Why does race have to be distinguishable? I've never understood this way of thinking. What do we lose if we have no distinguishable racial groups? Culture? Nope - race is not culture. People of certain races may be associated with certain cultures, but culture is something we practice, not something we are born with. Besides, culture is a rotten excuse to support harmful, antiquated ideas such as racial segregation. Do we lose national identity? Nope because that is a part of culture and that is a social construct. Do we lose certain useful attributes? Nope - if anything it only increases them and creates different interesting combinations (assuming that different racial groups are vastly different from one another, genetically). Do we lose our heritage? Well, look far enough into your family history and you'll find that there are a few people who are, not only from different ethnic groups, but are from different races as well. It's already part of our heritage. And the mixed race offspring that we produce? That's their heritage, too. Will people lose a sense of community? How does sharing similar physical traits create any functioning community? How does not sharing those traits harm the community?

If people just to happen to be mixing racially, then why does it matter to you?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 12:46 am

meems wrote:
I can sort of relate. I am very very white looking and some of my family is a lot... less white looking, and just within my own family I've seen vast differences in how I'm treated to how they're treated. That extends beyond my family to my friends and all of the POC I know and have known.

Ridiculous racists deny white privilege and I wonder how uncomfortable it must be for these very obviously angry people to keep insisting they aren't experiencing privilege and they ARE. NOT. RACIST. Then I remember that it's their own problem, and who gives a sh** if they're uncomfortable while they're willfully being part of the problem?

But you, you have an idea of exactly why your skin color implies something out of your control. You're actively non-racist, which actually does take some work. You've done everything you should ever be expected to do by just KNOWING there is racial tension. There is nothing more that is your social responsibility.

Anything further is BS, beyond being a good person, and being aware of what's going on around you, you don't owe anyone anything. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You do not have to let anyone make you feel bad and YOU NEVER SHOULD. You aren't stepping on anyone's toes by goddamn existing or being white or being a male. You aren't responsible for what has happened throughout history.

If someone tries to make you feel bad, tell them to f**k off. Seriously. Tell them to get f****. No one has any right to make you feel bad for your ethnicity.
Ill be sure to keep that in mind and not be so down on myself about it also ill have to remember even my Irish ancestors been through a lot as well as my Native American ancestors but as a result I do not blame the descendants who have oppressed my ancestors because their descendants did not and do not partake in those atrocities. People change over time but sadly people cannot let go of the past and blame it on the descendants or in this case ethnic appearances looking like the descendants of the people who have committed the atrocities. I guess dealing with reverse racism for no reason over time has really screwed me up eh?

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:17 am

PTSmorrow wrote:

You might say that's not a strictly logical reason, but I simply don't like members of races other than white regardless their nationality or culture and I avoid to get in touch with those people.

Meaning you don't socialize or form friendships with them on any level? Or am I misunderstanding?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 3:35 am

Ancalagon wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
I dont think I would go that far though but that is probably what it would take those constantly hateful to change their opinions of caucasians.

You actually can't change someone's mind against their will, and their opinions aren't based on reality, so there is no reason for you to feel guilty for their messed-up ideas.
I suppose your right..there are many types of monsters in this world..[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgcpxkevEQ[/youtube]