Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cookiemol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm

I am 19 and made it at college for 6 weeks before needing to leave. I brought my service do instead off having a room mate and was on a floor by myself. I am at home now and still very depressed that I couldn't last. Anybody else been through something like that? I need someone to commiserate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

you are not the only one who didn't find a foothold in school, i also failed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 12:49 am

I failed at it twice, just had to give it another go...feels like it was a waste of time and made my mental health issues significantly worse but it's complicated how so I wont go into all that right now.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:22 am

Yes, my first go at college was a big bust. But, many years later I am enjoying university. You are far from alone and this is not the only chance or choices you have. I did drop one course last term and I felt like crap for it - but in the end it was a good choice. A knew a couple of others that had to drop their terms and it came with stress and disappointment - followed by relief! It doesn't feel good, but it is okay. Lotsa time, lotsa different ways to go about life. You made the right call for what you needed - that is smart and brave. Very mature.

Best to you, LM

Rumpole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2013, 5:27 am

I failed University quite spectacularly on my first three attempts. I now have a Bachelors degree, two Masters degrees and I have just passed the half way point in another Bachelors (Yes, I know that is probably excessive but I really enjoy studying). Keep at it and don't become discouraged if it is all too much at this point in your life. What was too much for me at 18 was achievable at 23. Don't be too hard on yourself!

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 5:50 am

I tried once and left pretty fast. There are so many things I'd have trouble with at college (like I have trouble with writing papers and public speaking) that there would be no point in my going, plus there isn't even any job I'd want to get to get a degree for. I also can't afford it. The time I went even with financial aid it didn't cover everything.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 5:56 am

i do think, that with the benefit of delayed maturity, i might be able to make a go of part-time schooling in my advanced age. fat lot of good it would do me, though. :hmph:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 9:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
i do think, that with the benefit of delayed maturity, i might be able to make a go of part-time schooling in my advanced age. fat lot of good it would do me, though. :hmph:

If you're only looking toward future financial compensation, then maybe. I don't see why you shouldn't if the interest is there, even if it's just for the experience or accomplishment of it. :)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

I quit going after a month or two on my first attempt at college. It did make me feel bad on several levels. For me it turned out to be just the wrong time & later on I was able to take courses successfully both part & full time.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Food for thought;

My aunt went at 65 for the first time and is wrapping up her degree at 71. I started at 44 and now I am half way through. People ask what I will "do" with my degree ... I don't know what I will be when I grow up, but I feel like I need to be in school. We will see where it goes. I've survived plenty, I am not too worried. The experience is everything for me right now. If it stops being something that fills that passion - so, it will stop. I hope to do something meaningful at the end, but really - there are so many options I am not worried. If this is "all I get to do" - go to school and keep scrubbing toilets as a career - then I have had the school experience, too - and that is so meaningful. The good is in the experience itself. Outcomes are never guaranteed. I hope this sounded encouraging as that is my intent. I just see the potential for you to have the experience and get something personal out of the experience itself - outcome independent - not worried about where you would use it, but finding meaning in the "doing" :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:26 am

if i lived anywhere that had a music college, i'd probably attend a few classes at least. cultural deprivation comes from having to live out in the woods away from "civilization."

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:13 am

Don't feel bad cookiemol I too went to collage and then to a university in Budapest where things got messy and I left after 3 years with one year left. I had preexisting issues before that tremendous fatigue, lingering physical damage to my body and I sat in school studying from 08.00 to 21:00 nearly every day. It was quite "hardcore" not to mention the great change in scenery moving from what I was comfortable with and used to back home in contrast to a lively capital like Budapest. I did well but I pushed myself insanely and started passing out and developed insomnia and malnourished. I simple broke and broke down. After some reflection and the realization that I was going from my normal comfortable self aware insanity to a more darker place I decided to call it quits and return home to heal and repair myself.
I've never really revered academia that much, I'm a autodidact individual who soaks up most things whether it's in a place of learning or in my own privacy.

Health over progress. You still have time, get better do something else. Maybe a calm temporary job doing whatever. Then go back to studying when you have more energy. But never blame yourself for things like these they are not failures. Even tho collage can be a lot for some people you just need to adjust and adopt a more relaxed attitude to it all. I remember having to adjust my approach to university life, some courage is needed but also an open mind. It was tiring but I had a blast and being stimulated by everything and everyone really benefited me as a individual and made me grow.

Feel better and don't believe that anything or everything is lost just because of this little bump in the road.

:cat:

:::)

prettylittlepanda
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm

You are definitely not alone! I barely made it through two semesters at college before I had to stop going.

MarkE
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2013, 8:30 am

Friend, I'm a Brit who failed his A-levels (badly) and took ten years to even try university- then got a 2:1 and an MA in philosophy- so don't give up on yourself. It REALLY isn't your fault.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

I dropped out of my course after only three months, and I'm happier for it. Remember that higher education is not the only path to success in life.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

ruckus wrote:
I dropped out of my course after only three months, and I'm happier for it. Remember that higher education is not the only path to success in life.

No offense meant here but the Aussie/Kiwi system and environment gives you a much better chance. In the US it is very,very hard to have a good chance in life if you have no degree. Yes, yes, there's success stories of people with no degrees and such.... but its a few success vs. millions who didn't make it. I see it as : if you are to succeed without a degree then you would make it even greater WITH one. Its the person not the piece of paper...but that piece of paper is a solid backup in case the individual has no luck.