It seems impossible to have a discussion about...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

meems
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 10:19 am

Women, how sexism impacts women etc. (anywhere) without at least one or two really whiny guys contributing "Wait, why aren't we also talking about how sexism impacts men and men have it worse than women wah wah wah" it really has opened my eyes to the fact that there are loads of guys who can't stand the idea of a conversation about women's issues, even in areas specifically for discussions about women. Even my women's group(which is open to males joining, so long as they understand it's not a group that focuses on male specific problems, but rather finding solutions to female specific problems) every single time we let a guy in it turns out he's some whining, sniveling MRA twit.

But it's mostly online. Why do these dudes visit feminist websites if they're so opposed to feminism? Their arguments are so pathetic and weak and full of holes, and being on the side of feminism, I could easily come up with some really good arguments about flaws in feminist concepts etc. yet these people who dedicate their time to being against it aren't capable of doing the same... it's frustrating to see it play out on the sites that don't filter comments. I border on feeling pity for them, which is why it's so frustrating.

Yeah, this thread isn't about feminism, for the record. I just was reminded of this like five seconds ago and YEAH OK DONE

Edit: This thread isn't about anyone here(though these types of things come up here frequently) nor is it meant to be a message to a specific member

Last edited by meems on 10 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 1:47 pm

Please do enlighten me as to what was wrong about what I've said.... clearly you think you're more intelligent and learned than me, so you should teach, instead of making whiny threads about how whiny men are :?

The reason it's impossible to have a discussion about feminism, for me anyway, is because I have yet to meet or talk online with a woman willing to actually explain what's wrong with what I say..

It simply degenerates into childish insults and emotional outbursts before anyone has learned anything or even discussed anything.

And it seems to depend who I talk to as well, like I basically can't have an opinion contrary to any woman who believes herself to be a feminist, or I'm a misogynist pig who wants violence and abuse for women.... it's really sad and I hope you realize you can't be taken seriously if you approach an ideological subject with such irrationality.

Quote:
it really has opened my eyes to the fact that there are loads of guys who can't stand the idea of a conversation about women's issues

Actually, I was willing to discuss, and opened up many areas to be either explored by you, or explained... and instead you insulted me, and made this thread :?

meems
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm

uwmonkdm wrote:
Please do enlighten me as to what was wrong about what I've said.... clearly you think you're more intelligent and learned than me, so you should teach, instead of making whiny threads about how whiny men are :?

The reason it's impossible to have a discussion about feminism, for me anyway, is because I have yet to meet or talk online with a woman willing to actually explain what's wrong with what I say..

It simply degenerates into childish insults and emotional outbursts before anyone has learned anything or even discussed anything.

And it seems to depend who I talk to as well, like I basically can't have an opinion contrary to any woman who believes herself to be a feminist, or I'm a misogynist pig who wants violence and abuse for women.... it's really sad and I hope you realize you can't be taken seriously if you approach an ideological subject with such irrationality.

Quote:
it really has opened my eyes to the fact that there are loads of guys who can't stand the idea of a conversation about women's issues

Actually, I was willing to discuss, and opened up many areas to be either explored by you, or explained... and instead you insulted me, and made this thread :?

This thread was literally a response to a comment thread on an outside website, which is why I decided to vent about it here. Being a perfect example, you're trying to make this thread about you. I do think some of your posts are incredibly stupid, but I haven't said I'm more educated than you. Education doesn't cure stupidity.

You're a really good example of a whiny, sniveling person, who is trying to make a conversation about you when it has nothing to do with you. Please just leave me the f**k alone in this thread. Just f*****g stay out of it. It's the Haven, the purpose is to get support and feel safe to talk about whatever without people being as*holes. Stop being an as*hole.

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 1:49 am

Its not just feminism, its religion, race, gay marriage, misandry.. its a spectrum. Any complicated topic will evoke many different opinions and emotional reactions. People who visit a feminism website to complain or talk about topics not at all related to feminism are honestly just a waste of your time.

There are many people who'd react differently to domestic abuse against women if I were to bring up such a topic. There are.. some valid arguments that guys are actually at a disadvantage in some ways themselves. But I don't believe that lessens your own struggle or what you go through.

When I was close to being homeless due to parental abuse, there were only shelters for women and children, guys like me who were 18 were simply s**t out of luck. My abuser was a woman (my mom) who lied and tried to get me arrested by saying I hit her, but since she had all the blood on her (my blood) and the weapon she went to jail instead.

I'd never do the things you accuse the people who post on your website do-- but my emotional experiences make me think and wonder why is it only focused on the problems of a certain people or gender.

Online in particular is full of people who get a kick out of doing things they'd think twice about in real life, "trolling" or just the sheer amount of people on the internet can bring idiots in from all walks of life. Ever step into a mcdonalds? There are college students who drink coffee, people who can barely afford a burger, and monetarily sound people who just don't want to cook dinner for the kids.

The internet is the same and therefore a website which is free to anybody will get all sorts of people.. wackjobs, intelligent and mature people and immature people as well. The advantage is.. you get more intelligent opinions, and its a good advantage as long as you ignore the unintelligible opinions.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 4:12 am

The websites aren't focused on people of a specific gender, I'm talking about individual conversations about women and in my group that meets in person we have focused on trying to start a men's shelter since there isn't one in this area, with f**k all success because people believe women are delicate little flowers and men are supposed to be the opposite of all things woman.

The thing I don't think you get... the internet is full of people. Those people are real, and they make up society. When a huge percentage of people on the internet say and do nasty things, it means a big chunk of people are walking around out there with those ideas in their heads, even if they're too afraid to say them, and that s**t is disturbing and at least it makes everything make sense... like why no one really seems to care about certain issues. In a lot of cases people are clearly suppressing their hatred and that s**t is f*****g disturbing.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2013, 7:51 am

The problem is...people suck! And unfortunately they're everywhere.
This is why I try to avoid them as much as possible and only hang out with my own kind. Even though we're like endangered species or something :p
I hope you feel better soon.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 8:07 am

meems
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 9:42 am

uwmonkdm wrote:

Dude, a mod already asked you to stop it, so please, f*****g stop.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 10:38 am

[Mod. edit: content removed by request of b9, who regrets what he'd posted ]