Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 4:22 am

How do you go about it?

Say for instance, people who drop you? I feel like I deserved an explanation, and if there was a problem they should have given me a little heads up. But I'm finished being angry. How can I go about forgiving?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 4:35 am

If somebody just drops me socially then I consider that simply being rude and there's nothing for me to really forgive. I just go on about my business and when they want to come back around or hang out again I tell them nope. I ignore them from then on.

However if somebody betrays me such as lies about me, tells a secret I told them, does something on purpose to mess me up for no reason, then I'm not going to forgive them. Not at all. I'm not going to forget it either. While I may or may not ever get revenge one day, I will remember it. I may decide to just let it go because it's better for all involved, but I won't forgive and I won't forget.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

bl44d3lf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2013, 7:23 am

[quote="CaptainTrips222"]How do you go about it?

its easy. try to connect with them still with cheesy lines. and be thought. and keep doing it. even if they refuse. when the f*****s still aint accepting you do it some more. after that go hunt the women in your class room. and try to connect with a outsider in liabary or somewhere else in that hood.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 10:07 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
How do you go about it?

Say for instance, people who drop you? I feel like I deserved an explanation, and if there was a problem they should have given me a little heads up. But I'm finished being angry. How can I go about forgiving?

It's not so hard if you are naturally a forgiving or accepting person.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 10:54 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
If somebody just drops me socially then I consider that simply being rude and there's nothing for me to really forgive. I just go on about my business and when they want to come back around or hang out again I tell them nope. I ignore them from then on.

However if somebody betrays me such as lies about me, tells a secret I told them, does something on purpose to mess me up for no reason, then I'm not going to forgive them. Not at all. I'm not going to forget it either. While I may or may not ever get revenge one day, I will remember it. I may decide to just let it go because it's better for all involved, but I won't forgive and I won't forget.

Frances, I understand your point on not forgiving betrayers, though I will have to disagree. Let me give you an example from my life. My family did some awful things to me; they betrayed me repeatedly. I have forgiven them. What that means is that I have let go of my anger. It also means I won't seek revenge or retaliation. Forgiveness does not demand I go back for more abuse. Forgiveness is more about our own welfare than that of our offenders.

Just my two cents' worth....

Penelope08
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2013, 11:19 am

I guess it depends on the situation with people who dropped you. Were they good friends? Acquaintences? Acquaintences are easy, because it's nothing personal. If we're talking Facebook, then maybe they were just doing a little "clean up". Either way, maybe you'll want to ask them if there's anything you did, whether they were good friends or not. And be prepared to hear something you may not like.

On the other hand, if you don't want to learn from it, and if it isn't worth it to you to you to find out and you just want to get on with the forgiveness part, then you can do this.

1) Consider that maybe you weren't the best fit for them, and in a way, they are doing you a favor so you can find friends that appreciate you for who you are and who appreciate the good parts of you and are willing to accept/overlook quirks, etc. In other words, focus on the good in you and consider it an opportunity to find good people in your life.

2) Consider where they are coming from, and consider this a limitation of theirs. You're a good person and they didn't have the wherewithall to see it and appreciate you. That is their limitation, and that can be forgiven.

And you move on. Forgiveness is good, no matter how egregious the action, because it sets YOU free. It's not to say you forget what happened, or that you will repeat your actions, if there are any actions/behaviors that are involved. You do it for you, not for the other party. If you use it as a learning opportunity (even if it hurts to look at it, and may expose parts of you that you aren't proud of), you stand to grow as a person, and that is awesome.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

Penelope08 wrote:
I guess it depends on the situation with people who dropped you. Were they good friends? Acquaintences? Acquaintences are easy, because it's nothing personal. If we're talking Facebook, then maybe they were just doing a little "clean up". Either way, maybe you'll want to ask them if there's anything you did, whether they were good friends or not. And be prepared to hear something you may not like.

On the other hand, if you don't want to learn from it, and if it isn't worth it to you to you to find out and you just want to get on with the forgiveness part, then you can do this.

1) Consider that maybe you weren't the best fit for them, and in a way, they are doing you a favor so you can find friends that appreciate you for who you are and who appreciate the good parts of you and are willing to accept/overlook quirks, etc. In other words, focus on the good in you and consider it an opportunity to find good people in your life.

2) Consider where they are coming from, and consider this a limitation of theirs. You're a good person and they didn't have the wherewithall to see it and appreciate you. That is their limitation, and that can be forgiven.

And you move on. Forgiveness is good, no matter how egregious the action, because it sets YOU free. It's not to say you forget what happened, or that you will repeat your actions, if there are any actions/behaviors that are involved. You do it for you, not for the other party. If you use it as a learning opportunity (even if it hurts to look at it, and may expose parts of you that you aren't proud of), you stand to grow as a person, and that is awesome.

I've already sent them emails inquiring as to why, and that whatever the reason, I'd be okay with it. No answer. That's why it's hard to forgive, actually. They weren't even big enough to tell me.

It's either a punishment for something, or it's not and they are just cowards. It could go either way.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

For Warcraft fans to peoples forgive Illidan? NO! so for betrayers i do same

Penelope08
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm

If they aren't telling you why, then that's where I usually add my own story line, but I base it on:

1) Were your comments/conversations friendly with them? Was there any snark in them or unkindness?
2) What kind of relationship did you have? How well did you know them?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
How do you go about it? Say for instance, people who drop you? I feel like I deserved an explanation, and if there was a problem they should have given me a little heads up. But I'm finished being angry. How can I go about forgiving?

To me, betrayal is essentially unforgivable. A person who has betrayed me once can not be trusted - at least, not at the same level of trust they had before they turned traitor.

Forgive a traitor? It's an extremely remote "maybe".

But I will never forget their betrayal.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

Penelope08 wrote:
If they aren't telling you why, then that's where I usually add my own story line, but I base it on:

1) Were your comments/conversations friendly with them? Was there any snark in them or unkindness?
2) What kind of relationship did you have? How well did you know them?

Those are good questions. There was a woman involved with one of them that didn't like me, or was at least totally rude a few times, but I don't know if she had enough influence to get them ALL to stop talking to me. It's just so mysterious. :?

TornadoEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Penelope08 wrote:

Still takes me time to unwind myself, and overall it doesn't change how I feel much. Forgiveness is about learning and letting go. I really like this advice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 6:54 pm

being a hermit enables one to sidestep all of this drama. online, it doesn't really matter because nobody can strangle anybody else- forgive or not forgive, it is just electrons through wires. only when the person/s involved somehow get sucked into your real waking life, does it have visceral consequences.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
being a hermit enables one to sidestep all of this drama.

I agree, but then you have to deal with being a hermit. That's... not quite for me yet. :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
being a hermit enables one to sidestep all of this drama.

I agree, but then you have to deal with being a hermit. That's... not quite for me yet. :wink:

being a hermit is ok if you love yourself and your own company. :)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 8:57 pm

Holding a grudge can really make you look petty and mean.