please pray for WPer ASS-P!

Page 5 of 14 [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

^^^
yes I believe so also. walter left a phone message with me, despairing that nobody was helping him and that he was totally bereft, that was my impetus to start this thread.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:02 pm

I'm glad you did. I know Grisha doesn't come around here much anymore, but he is a Facebook friend of mine and he lives outside L.A.
Maybe he has some insights. I'll ask him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm

all help is appreciated :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

If a low life is bilking him out of his money it should be reported to the Social Security office,maybe they will press charges against this ass.I would hope that would prevent them from victimizing another person,they may be doing this to several other people.A sleaze wad could collect quite a bit that way.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm

I don't know if it's accurate but earlier in the thread someone said they heard a social services employee is the low life in question.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm

presumably the official [judge appointed] beneficiary payee.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 11:16 pm

I hope there is some sort of free legal aid available,does he have a therapist or anyone that can help him find resources?There should be low income housing available for him,but I have no idea about what it's like in a big city.There are apartments here and your rent depends on income,but there may be a waiting list in a large metro area.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:26 am

What exactly are the legal issues he needs to take care of before he can get help?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 9:37 am

i am going to westpac at leura tomorrow at about 11 am. he will get some money then.
life support is a last resort.
do you know that?!?
or don't you?

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Aimless wrote:
This is why sending money is good for the short term but he needs a long term solution. It would be great to find someone to advocate for him. If he is on SSDI he should have resources available. There's section 8 housing and food stamps and Medicaid. What happened that he doesn't have access to these things?

It's possible that his record/legal issues are barring him from accessing subsidized housing. I work for a social services agency and the hardest clients to get housed are the ones with any type of record, even if it's something fairly minor and there were extenuating circumstances. Sometimes even people with medical problems, who are unable to work and need help with housing the most, are also difficult to get housing for because they tend to have bad credit history, due to their medical expenses. There are a lot of flaws in the system and it's hard to get exceptions made to the rules for your clients, even when it's clearly the right thing to do.

Also, I don't know what it is like in California, but in my area, the waiting list for Section 8 is closed. If there is an opening they will make an annoucement and fill it through a lottery system. So, it takes on average 6-8 years to get a Housing Choice voucher here, unless someone is very lucky. How someone is homeless and not currently working with a social worker could ever hear an announcement like that I have no idea.

Aimless wrote:
Even if the judge did appoint a beneficiary payee, the purpose of that is for that payee to make sure ASS-P's needs are met. I think a crime is being committed.

It's very possible. But, it is hard to say without knowing the details. If he has fines relating to his legal issues, it might be that the Rep Payee needs to make payments towards dealing with those and he is only being given what is left over each month. The bottom line, though, is that there is an appeal process through the SSA and he has the right to file one, if he believes his rights are being violated. And, he certainly has the right to know the details of how and why his money is being spent the way it is.

By the way, does anyone know if Walter is a Veteran? Just curious because, if so, getting a social worker through the VA system and access to short-term housing for homeless vets could be an option.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:31 am

Aimless wrote:
What exactly are the legal issues he needs to take care of before he can get help?

He deserves and needs help now,but if some sort of legal action isn't taken against the crooked payee they will just continue to steal his money as long as they can get away with it.They may be doing this to others.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

blueroses wrote:
By the way, does anyone know if Walter is a Veteran? Just curious because, if so, getting a social worker through the VA system and access to short-term housing for homeless vets could be an option.

according to him, he never served in the military. his legal issues [according to him] are related to multiple violations of local vagrancy laws. IOW it is illegal to be homeless, officially and in legal practice, in California and many other states.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm

That was good information blueroses, thanks. I wonder if it's a matter of paying off fines. Do we know how much? That might be a useful thing to do for him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:21 pm

at last tally, walter has $15k of fines against him. this is an outrage that our nation does this to the least among us who are TOTALLY INNOCENT!. :x

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:51 pm

Wow!
It seems the powers that be think the poor should be punished for being poor. It's only getting worse too.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 7:03 pm

I know he needs cash now to feed himself, but for a longer term solution maybe someone could set up an escrow account and people could send contributions directly to that account to help pay off those fines. I know its a huge amount,( it's more than I make in a year - I'm poor), but it seems nothing can move forward until those fines are paid off. I know it would take a while.