please pray for WPer ASS-P!

Page 6 of 14 [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 7:08 pm

it seems that local governments can garnish what is in a bank. so I am sure just giving him modest cash assistance directly into his pocket, would be the most practical thing for walter. correct me if i'm wrong here.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 7:19 pm

If we are proceeding with immediate money drop, those willing should PM me for my Paypal address. If I am unable to give money to ASS-P I will paypal it back to you.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2013, 8:52 pm

Done!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 9:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it seems that local governments can garnish what is in a bank. so I am sure just giving him modest cash assistance directly into his pocket, would be the most practical thing for walter. correct me if i'm wrong here.

I don't know, you're probably right.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2013, 1:45 am

I agree the cash will help until an advocate can be found.
I am blown away that it is a crime to be poor and homeless.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:46 am

auntblabby wrote:

I agree that this will be the short term, but he does need someone to get involved and advocate for him locally. Trying to find a lawyer who will deal with the SSI fraud, who could then argue that with the money he was due he would not have been liable for the fines and try to reduce the overall amount. I don't know the system but there has to be an organisation that will support him?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:50 am

Keni wrote:
I am blown away that it is a crime to be poor and homeless.

in America.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
at last tally, walter has $15k of fines against him. this is an outrage that our nation does this to the least among us who are TOTALLY INNOCENT!. :x

$15k in fines just for inconveniently existing???! !! 8O 8O How the Fu... Really?! !

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:23 pm

the running tally of fines now totals $16.5k. :(

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:28 pm

But what exactly are these fines for, I just can't wrap my head around it and never heard of something like this in my life 8O

Is there anybody who could shed some light on the legal aspect here? I can't understand how people can declare bankruptcy and have their debts erased and a homeless, disabled person can end up in such a terrible situation :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:30 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
But what exactly are these fines for, I just can't wrap my head around it and never heard of something like this in my life 8O

Is there anybody who could shed some light on the legal aspect here? I can't understand how people can declare bankruptcy and have their debts erased and a homeless, disabled person can end up in such a terrible situation :(

vagrancy laws prohibit homelessness, not to put too fine a point on it. he is being fined simply for occupying space when the powers-that-be would rather that he just disappear.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm

I understand he's being seen as a nuisance, but isn't there anything that can be done? An organisation who could help with this mess? I can't imagine he doesn't have any rights... Even if a sum could be gathered to cover those fines, won't he soon end up in the same situation?

I don't know anything about US laws or who to contact... as b9 said I too would be happy to contribute towards a long lasting solution. I don't even know what to say, I'm utterly lost here :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 6:16 pm

your heart is in the right place, none of us really know what to do as none of us have the magic wand to wave over the situation and make it better. all we can do is our own little bit, I'm just mailing him $$ here and there. there is so much need out there, and the public re$ource$ are utterly starved of attention.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 6:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Until you say otherwise, auntblabby, I will continue to simply send him $ for food on a small scale - what I can afford. After money for food he sorely needs legal help arranged for him, and a safe place to call home. Would he take care of his foot and other medical problems if he had these other necessities taken care of? Sorry this is so difficult - it is ridiculous and heartless that this is happening to people, that it is so hard to simply help someone in need.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 6:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
your heart is in the right place, none of us really know what to do as none of us have the magic wand to wave over the situation and make it better. all we can do is our own little bit, I'm just mailing him $$ here and there. there is so much need out there, and the public re$ource$ are utterly starved of attention.

So is yours, obviously :) I understand the need of doing something right now and I'll do what I can, I would just like to find out if more could be done for him to get out of this mess...

I'll just send you a PM to try to figure out some details.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

There are a lot of things to consider with a lasting solution - we certainly need input from more US people on legalese.

-Even if a very cheap property is purchased, I am guessing the government could snatch it for fines if it was in his name.
- There don't seem to be any cheap properties in his area- would he want to move? Is there a law against him moving because of the fines?

- Many cheaper places are away from transport and facilities.
- Would it be possible to buy a small very basic caravan and find someone willing to offer cheap rent on their land?