Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2014
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,452

21 Apr 2017, 1:10 pm

If you paid attention to the news events in the world, things are getting pretty tense around the world with the new administration in the US. Things like Russia, N. Korea, China, ISIS etc. I'm not prepared to face death yet. Please God, spare us from the end of our world as we know it. What are your views? Do you think nuclear war is more likely going to happen, especially with N. Korea? I mean, Japan and South Korea may have reasons to be afraid, but what about the United States too? Doesn't N. Korea say they want to nuke us?

And all this world tension is just a big mess of a headache after another.

But do you think we can survive this? I'm afraid of dying, and here's a little secret: I'm also a little afraid of life after death, even if it exists. Your entire nature and existence to changed and it's for all eternity. Now, think about that.



nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 1:24 pm

I thought I was the only worry wart. :mrgreen:

The whole N Korea thingy is scaring the crap out of me. I'm religious, of course, and just keep praying. I actually do think this could be it - especially with that nut in N Korea. He won't go down without a fight and it seems that Trump and China do not want to back down. Russia is getting ready by moving their troops into position too, ready for a nuclear war. Hawaii is getting ready for a nuclear strike. The US sent a special plane over that can signal if there is nuclear chemicals in the air. Several Fox commentators (one being Charles Krauthammer) believe that the US will be faced to intercept a nuclear weapon sometime this year. They were talking about it last night on Coast to Coast AM about how close to a possible nuclear war we are with N Korea and how quickly it could get out of hand. The religious people I listen to are also saying they believe the end is near. And if you are religious, then you know the end can't be by water again (that was with Noah) according to the Bible, so fire could be the next way through nuclear weapons. Let's just say that I am very worried and trying not to think about it and keep on with normal life while still trying to keep in good graces with the Big G. :mrgreen:


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2014
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,452

21 Apr 2017, 1:38 pm

You are only giving me more worry. I just pray very hard that the end doesn't come in my lifetime, as crazy or anti-religious as that sounds. Would such prayer work?



nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

I don't think so because the Big G has His own plan. A person never really knows when it's their time now do they? I do believe in the Rapture, but not every religious person does. I'm hoping that that will happen for me. Otherwise, everyone is pretty much on their own with trying to make their peace with their God.

My friend Julia is religious and she is just so sure that she will make it up to Heaven. How she can be so sure I have no idea. I always have doubt in the back of my mind. I figure I'm doing all that I can to be on Big G's good side, but who the hell really knows? Maybe I'll have to spend some quality time in Purgatory for saying one to many "sh!ts" or something :mrgreen: - that is if Purgatory even exists. I don't know what to tell you to make things sound more rosy.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 34,668
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

21 Apr 2017, 2:17 pm

Hmm and to think Trump was all about 'making america great'...maybe he should have kept the focus on that, also we still have all the destabilization of the middle east and war on terror crap going on perhaps that needed sorted out before addressing North Korea. I mean yeah it seems possible there could be nuclear conflict, I think I have accepted that...but that doesn't mean no chance of survival.

But yes if you are outside the main blast area that obliterates everything then it takes time for the radiation to spread the further away you are the better. It is possible you could get to proper shelter before it reaches you. Or if there is not enough time it is best to find whatever closest shelter you can and stay there till the main debris settles or whatever and then move to a better shelter. Granted it may be hard to avoid getting cancer or some amount of radiation sickness. That is probably not all 100% accurate sorta paraphrased from a thing I was looking about survival in the event of nuclear attack. But basically provided you don't get obliterated in the explosion it seems there is a good chance of being able to survive.


_________________
We won't go back.


nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 2:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hmm and to think Trump was all about 'making america great'...maybe he should have kept the focus on that, also we still have all the destabilization of the middle east and war on terror crap going on perhaps that needed sorted out before addressing North Korea. I mean yeah it seems possible there could be nuclear conflict, I think I have accepted that...but that doesn't mean no chance of survival.

But yes if you are outside the main blast area that obliterates everything then it takes time for the radiation to spread the further away you are the better. It is possible you could get to proper shelter before it reaches you. Or if there is not enough time it is best to find whatever closest shelter you can and stay there till the main debris settles or whatever and then move to a better shelter. Granted it may be hard to avoid getting cancer or some amount of radiation sickness. That is probably not all 100% accurate sorta paraphrased from a thing I was looking about survival in the event of nuclear attack. But basically provided you don't get obliterated in the explosion it seems there is a good chance of being able to survive.


I think you're right. What Trump should do is go play several rounds of golf just like his predecessor. That should solve the problem.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Apr 2017, 2:53 pm

I don't think we're in dire danger.

I think North Korea is merely trying to provoke things for whatever reason. We have to be watchful---but I don't see a serious threat to our world here.

We have lived through much worse times.

You should read more history; you'll see what I mean.



nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

My question is with all of these countries having access to nuclear weapons, isn't it to be expected that some doofus at some point in time will get an itchy trigger finger?! Otherwise, why have nuclear weapons in the first place? Duh.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


parabasis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 21 Apr 2017
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 23

21 Apr 2017, 3:01 pm

Don't worry about Armageddon just yet, at our current pace the Earth still has 40-50 years left of abundant resources. Once they start to go that's when you'll see the nukes fly as the national power structures fight for the remaining leftovers. It's our grand children that'll get the treat of holocaust, not us, we're merely the catalyst.

As for N. Korea, the situation will remain a stalemate. Why? Because everyone in power benefits from it being that way at the moment: the N.Korean dictatorship gets to exist (if a war broke out they'd be gone and they know it, and not necessarily by the U.S. or S. Korea's hand), China retains a negotiating chip, and the U.S. politicians get a boogieman to rattle a saber at. As I said, the status quo is a win-win for all parties involved that have power and control in the situation.

Terrorism is nothing to worry about, seriously. The fact that you are worrying about it only gives it power. Far more people die in car crashes in the U.S. in a year than have died to terrorism since the start of the century. It is in effect psychological warfare, and the only way that's effective is if it invades your psyche-- i.e. you worry about it so much that you start making decisions based on it. That's what winning is for terrorism, training their victims to fear. Consider this: the best terrorism could do was a four pronged attack on 9/11 that took ~5000 people, contrast that with Cannae, a battle in 216 B.C where the Carthaginians slaughtered 80,000 people in a single half day battle. Tell me, would you be more scared to run into a legion of Carthaginians or a terrorist cell of a few dipshits that learned how to fly a plane so poorly they didn't even know how to land?

--Also, that's not to minimize the impact of 9/11, needless loss of life is not a good thing, it's merely to put it in perspective. If you're able to put it in perspective you'll see exactly how small and unimportant terrorists are, effectively cutting off their only ability to influence you which is all they want. Terrorism is just the global version of the kid at school that who's only ability to get attention is by annoying others; you ignore that kid and he runs out of steam because he's not getting what he wanted.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Apr 2017, 3:01 pm

We've had nuclear weapons since 1945. There have been many people with "itchy trigger fingers" who have had access to these weapons. And there has been much inducement to make use of those "trigger fingers." Still, it hasn't happened.

I don't believe even Iran wants to destroy itself. I just think the North Korean guy is somebody who likes to play with toys. And his nuclear arsenal has the potential power of toys. And they break down like toys used to break down when I was a kid.



nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We've had nuclear weapons since 1945. There have been many people with "itchy trigger fingers" who have had access to these weapons. And there has been much inducement to make use of those "trigger fingers." Still, it hasn't happened.

I don't believe even Iran wants to destroy itself. I just think the North Korean guy is somebody who likes to play with toys. And his nuclear arsenal has the potential power of toys. And they break down like toys used to break down when I was a kid.


They think Doofus has the nuclear ability to reach Hawaii now and they keep testing more weapons wanting to take out the West Coast. They are saying that N Korea is close to being able to do that and that's why Trump has to step in - before they get that ability. I have no doubt that he would blow us to smithereens if he knows that he will be taken out by China or the Navy Seals. You're too trusting, Mr. K.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


Last edited by nurseangela on 21 Apr 2017, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,017
Location: Kansas

21 Apr 2017, 3:16 pm

parabasis wrote:
Don't worry about Armageddon just yet, at our current pace the Earth still has 40-50 years left of abundant resources. Once they start to go that's when you'll see the nukes fly as the national power structures fight for the remaining leftovers. It's our grand children that'll get the treat of holocaust, not us, we're merely the catalyst.

As for N. Korea, the situation will remain a stalemate. Why? Because everyone in power benefits from it being that way at the moment: the N.Korean dictatorship gets to exist (if a war broke out they'd be gone and they know it, and not necessarily by the U.S. or S. Korea's hand), China retains a negotiating chip, and the U.S. politicians get a boogieman to rattle a saber at. As I said, the status quo is a win-win for all parties involved that have power and control in the situation.

Terrorism is nothing to worry about, seriously. The fact that you are worrying about it only gives it power. Far more people die in car crashes in the U.S. in a year than have died to terrorism since the start of the century. It is in effect psychological warfare, and the only way that's effective is if it invades your psyche-- i.e. you worry about it so much that you start making decisions based on it. That's what winning is for terrorism, training their victims to fear. Consider this: the best terrorism could do was a four pronged attack on 9/11 that took ~5000 people, contrast that with Cannae, a battle in 216 B.C where the Carthaginians slaughtered 80,000 people in a single half day battle. Tell me, would you be more scared to run into a legion of Carthaginians or a terrorist cell of a few dipshits that learned how to fly a plane so poorly they didn't even know how to land?

--Also, that's not to minimize the impact of 9/11, needless loss of life is not a good thing, it's merely to put it in perspective. If you're able to put it in perspective you'll see exactly how small and unimportant terrorists are, effectively cutting off their only ability to influence you which is all they want. Terrorism is just the global version of the kid at school that who's only ability to get attention is by annoying others; you ignore that kid and he runs out of steam because he's not getting what he wanted.


I see a person who doesn't want to look a problem head on as having your way of thinking. All we need is a few lone wolves in different states start blowing things up and everyone will be scared s**tless. Isis will never be gone or be able to be controlled because there are too many of them. However, there is only one N Korean Doofus that can be taken out before he really does something nutty.


_________________
Me grumpy?
I'm happiness challenged.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.


parabasis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 21 Apr 2017
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 23

21 Apr 2017, 3:22 pm

nurseangela wrote:
parabasis wrote:
Don't worry about Armageddon just yet, at our current pace the Earth still has 40-50 years left of abundant resources. Once they start to go that's when you'll see the nukes fly as the national power structures fight for the remaining leftovers. It's our grand children that'll get the treat of holocaust, not us, we're merely the catalyst.

As for N. Korea, the situation will remain a stalemate. Why? Because everyone in power benefits from it being that way at the moment: the N.Korean dictatorship gets to exist (if a war broke out they'd be gone and they know it, and not necessarily by the U.S. or S. Korea's hand), China retains a negotiating chip, and the U.S. politicians get a boogieman to rattle a saber at. As I said, the status quo is a win-win for all parties involved that have power and control in the situation.

Terrorism is nothing to worry about, seriously. The fact that you are worrying about it only gives it power. Far more people die in car crashes in the U.S. in a year than have died to terrorism since the start of the century. It is in effect psychological warfare, and the only way that's effective is if it invades your psyche-- i.e. you worry about it so much that you start making decisions based on it. That's what winning is for terrorism, training their victims to fear. Consider this: the best terrorism could do was a four pronged attack on 9/11 that took ~5000 people, contrast that with Cannae, a battle in 216 B.C where the Carthaginians slaughtered 80,000 people in a single half day battle. Tell me, would you be more scared to run into a legion of Carthaginians or a terrorist cell of a few dipshits that learned how to fly a plane so poorly they didn't even know how to land?

--Also, that's not to minimize the impact of 9/11, needless loss of life is not a good thing, it's merely to put it in perspective. If you're able to put it in perspective you'll see exactly how small and unimportant terrorists are, effectively cutting off their only ability to influence you which is all they want. Terrorism is just the global version of the kid at school that who's only ability to get attention is by annoying others; you ignore that kid and he runs out of steam because he's not getting what he wanted.


I see a person who doesn't want to look a problem head on as having your way of thinking. All we need is a few lone wolves in different states start blowing things up and everyone will be scared s**tless. Isis will never be gone or be able to be controlled because there are too many of them. However, there is only one N Korean Doofus that can be taken out before he really does something nutty.


There are less terrorists than there are cold blooded killers in the world. They just all fly under a banner, and the banner is what's getting your attention.



seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Age: 29
Posts: 1,380
Location: underwater

21 Apr 2017, 4:03 pm

if a nuclear attack comes and hits me i'll die. there is nothing i can do about that. there is nothing i did to deserve that.

also, i could get hit by a bus and die.



the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,489
Location: up from the ashes

21 Apr 2017, 4:39 pm

A quote by William Shakespeare ...

“A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.”

...



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,647
Location: temperate zone