Breakfast with folks and a friend soon

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 10:57 am

A friend of my dad and stepmom is visiting this weekend, and in about half an hour from now, they're all coming to pick me up to go have breakfast somewhere. It'll be nice to see this friend, but I'm not really excited about this for several reasons:

- I woke up with a headache that hasn't gone away yet

- I'm worried that when the friend asks me what I've been up to, the topic of school will come up, and my stepmom will seize the opportunity to hold me up for ridicule ("we don't know if she's EVER going to graduate" "I keep telling her she'll never do anything with an English major") and the friend will join in and my father will do nothing

- The place where we're going will probably be crowded and noisy

- I don't know if they'll have anything I like

- I've had a hell of a week and kind of just wanted to spend my weekend in bed with my Cars blanket and plushies, with my earbuds in, shutting everything out

Oh well, it'll only be for a few hours at the most, and I'll take two or three plushies with me in my bag...they always help me feel less lonely, even if I can't take them out for fear of being made fun of/having them get taken away.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 2:55 pm

Update:

Well, that went reasonably well....when we got to the place where we were going to eat, it was actually really nice and less chaotic than I remembered it. There were some tasty food smells, too, which helped. The only negative thing was that my dad had a hard time finding a parking space, so he ended up going to a coffee shop not far away and having a muffin there, while me, my stepmom, and her friend went to the restaurant. I was stressed out about my dad until I found out he was safely esconced in the coffee shop, tho - he likes it there. We didn't talk about my school that much - my stepmom and her friend mostly talked about what they'd seen at the theater last night and their grandkids. I got to have pancakes with chocolate chips, too, which I liked. :)

Then we went to a couple of shops downtown and walked around a small art fair for awhile until my dad came back to pick us up. Afterwards I politely asked to be dropped off at my dorm, and went in after saying goodbye to my folks and their friend. I feel kind of guilty about not staying longer, but relieved at the same time. I hope I did everything right.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 3:56 pm

I'm glad everything went so well.

Just wondering -- have you ever told your stepmother that you don't like that kind of talk when people are around, and that you feel ridiculed? I know it would be hard.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2014, 3:59 pm

Family can be so critical. You do what you feel you must! An English major can do a lot more than a Criminal Justice major, which is what I graduated with in 2003. Especially a Criminal Justice major that's decided he hates the Criminal Justice System .... LOL!

Life will happen on your time table. You may find yourself in a few different careers. I went from Criminal Justice to Information Technology and now, I'm a truck a driver. I know some of the difficulties are related to my autism. So, at 37 years old, I drive an 18 wheel tractor trailer and, for once, I'm professionally happy. Since I'm on the road so much, I downgraded from a single apartment to having a roommate and turning a 900.00 a month housing bill into 400.00 per month. I turned in my lease and bought an older used car, a clunker, which gets me from the apartment to the terminal. For the first time in a very long time, life is simple. Driving a truck is an underrated experience. Women do it too. It's a heavy in demand career. You will be fine as an English major. There will always be good work out there.

All of the best!