Page 16 of 578 [ 9247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 578  Next

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:13 am

*edited, due to loss of context*

Last edited by violentcloud on 16 Aug 2007, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:40 am

*edited, due to loss of context*

Last edited by violentcloud on 16 Aug 2007, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:48 am

Looks like the 10 year old with computer access and a spellchecker had to go to bed.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

Looks like someone had a shovel jammed up their ass.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 5:31 pm

Looks like this thread is turning into
the mess that it always seems to.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 7:16 pm

Starbuline wrote:

I was responding to a troll, whose posts were deleted.

Shame really, this thread degenerates because of fallouts and arguments.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 7:21 pm

Anubis wrote:
Starbuline wrote:

Along with yours.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 2:30 am

Anubis wrote:
Starbuline wrote:

and I wasn't aiming this at you. :?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 10:25 am

I think I'm slightly dislexic :(
yesterday I was talking to a friend and I read corpses instead of copies
that was embarassing :lol: :(
But it happens and has happened all my life
Its always just creeps up on me too

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 10:30 am

Kilroy wrote:
I think I'm slightly dislexic :(
yesterday I was talking to a friend and I read corpses instead of copies
that was embarassing :lol: :(
But it happens and has happened all my life
Its always just creeps up on me too

I experience that same thing.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 10:33 am

8O so do you know what it is-are we just fast readers (I doubt that)
or what
whats your theory :)

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 9:57 pm

Oh, I have a real good one to rant about from today.

It's that time of the year when students are all going out to find the supplies they need for their classes. This is so true with art students.
So every year I keep finding the same kinds of students from this one art teacher. I know this teacher, I had two classes with him when I started college. My personal opinion of him is that he the kind of person who turns me off to art. Art isn't a fun thing to do with him like I've had with other teachers, it's work. And you better work at it damn hard. So I personally think he is a pompous ass and this reflects in the supply lists he gives his students every year.
His lists often somehow end up sending students off in search of obscure items that may or may not exist. So I see his list again for this year in an ongoing effort to turn his students into starving artists. Okay, so most of these items can be found in most art stores... but there's always this group of items no one can seem to find. Well I know where this is going since it's my guess that these items can only be found at one specific art store downtown. Now I don't mind the support of the independent retailer but really... there are probably more common alternatives to many of these items. Then are some things that make no sense, like sending a student to go look for the paint color "Cadmium".
Really, I looked at the list and it is there with the colors. It's got cadmium red, cadmium yellow and then just... cadmium. WTF... cadmium by itself is not a color...
I guess I can't rule out that it was a typo... but still, this sends students off and gone in search of something that doesn't exist.
I swear I never see this sort of thing from the art teachers at the university in town. It always from this one guy each year... :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:55 pm

Kilroy wrote:
8O so do you know what it is-are we just fast readers (I doubt that)
or what
whats your theory :)

My theory is that I might also be slightly dyslexic, or that I might be absorbed into my obsessions to the point, that I might see the words that I want to see.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 7:58 pm

hmm never thought of that :P

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2007, 1:09 pm

My mother and I volunteer at the food pantry quite often (at very least once a month, sometimes every week). Most of the people going through for food are nice; contrary to some people's beliefs, they aren't bums. Most of them have jobs; those who don't are either looking for one or disabled to the point that they can't have a job. A lot of said people would be able to support themselves, but they have families and so have to take the extra assistance. Which is fine; the majority are sweet people, and almost all are polite. Some of the volunteers really need to learn lessons from them.

Lately, there hasn't been enough food. The supplies are coming in less frequently, and the number of families has increased. We give them what we can, but sometimes that's not much at all. And some of the basics (bread, pasta, meats, fruits) are almost always scanty or missing entirely. We do what we can; most of the volunteers buy extra supplies, the churches (it is run by four local Catholic churches - which, before any anti-religous zealots start complaining, means that they take collections for it, pay the rent for the building, and we invariably get a rush of Conformation hours seeking kids volunteering for about a month. That's as far as the religious influences go) have taken up extra collections, and we've gotten some connections with local businesses. Still, everything doesn't go as planned - for instance, the other week someone stopped our connection with Panera Bread because they were giving sweet rolls, which aren't healthy. It's food, which is more important, but now it's not available for the people. Which is sad.

Anyway, there's a sweet old lady who goes out and buys bread for us every week. She also volunteers there; while she's not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, she really is sweet. She comes in every week, every month. There's a schedule of who's supposed to be in each week, but it's invariably changed and lacking. She's helpful.

In contrast, there's an older couple who volunteer whenever they're scheduled. Honestly, we're not sure why they come at all. My guess is that they're trying to rack up brownie points for the afterlife. The woman - Marsha dearest (actually, I don't know her name, but that's what I've called her for ages) - is rude, haughty, and a general brat. She'll refuse people who have children; she'll yell at any of the other volunteers. (No one likes her...) She also pushes other carts up and tells us to "hurry up!" Her husband is similar, but much quieter. He lives in her shadow. We don't get along well at all; I'm too stubborn to listen to her (she can't get me into any trouble, so why should I do anything she says? As it is, I'm well liked there, both amongst the other volunteers and the people coming through, simply because I try to be nice to everyone, whereas no one supports her, because she's nice to... no one), and I'll take through the people she turns away, push back the carts, and tell her when she's stepping out of line. They think they own the place; they don't like being told to back off. It's hard enough to get along with them under any circumstances, but lately they've started bringing their granddaughters in.

Now, their granddaughters (there are two of them) are a little older than I am. They're quite like their grandparents in terms of unpleasantness. Both of them are very into themselves (they make no secret of the fact that they think they're the best people in the building), rude to the people coming through (they think they're "bums"), and oh so snobby. They sit behind the desk and do their nails instead of checking people in; when they do check the people in, they don't ask for the information that's required. More than once I've had to ask them to either speed it up (there a ton of people waiting in the room, but I can't take any through until the paperwork is done) or slow it down (they're checking in people instead of waiting for anyone to take them through; the lines for the carts gets out of hand and the there are disagreements about who's next). They never listen (at least Marsha dearest listens, for reasons unbeknown to me); they openly scoff most of the time ("Why should we listen to you?" Because I've been doing this for over a year whereas you've only done it for less than a month? Because I know what I'm doing? Because you're causing problems? They're never impressed).

Anyway, last Saturday (it's open twice a week - Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings), Marsha dearest and her family were there, as well as the sweet old lady from above. The granddaughters, as per their usual standard, did practically nothing behind the desk. At one point, T (sweet old lady) asked one of them how many people were in the family of the person she was taking through. The girl responded (scoff), "How should I know?" To which T replied, "You're supposed to ask." Which you are; that's one of the first things you do - what's your name and how many are in your family?

The girl turned around and complained to her grandfather, who then confronted T saying that his "granddaughter is very distraught over how you treated her" and she needed to stop coming in anyway; she was there too much (at least she's helpful, unlike some other volunteers I could name...). Then he went to the guy who actually is in charge of the food pantry and complained.

Like I said, T is sweet, and she's a good lady, but she's not the brightest. She couldn't really defend herself; the only other volunteer was working at the time and didn't know what was happening until afterwards. (Said other volunteer is a lady who's much like me in terms of attitude there; she's not hesitant to speak (well, yell) her mind. She's furious too.) Joe (the guy in charge) apologized to the granddaughter and told T to start staying away most days. So now not only are we short a much needed volunteer, we're also short another supply of bread. And the brat has been allowed to stay without warning. And the sweet old lady who has been so much help has been punished. It's absurd.

The other volunteer is planning to appeal to Joe once she's calmed down, but the damage has been done.

Three years!

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 12:29 pm

Yeah.. in response to the "street racers" thing. I have what can be described as "rice rockets", a 1995 Integra and now a 2004 Mazdaspeed MX5 roadster. I drive them rather sanely on MOST public roads because I just think that there are no races to win plus there are FAMILIES and kids on public streets too. The only time I let loose is on backroads where there is no traffic and my friends and I spot each other with radios, making sure there is no traffic...or pigs. However, it's a different story when you are driving around crowded areas like an idiot and there's no shortage of those guys. The worst is that they kiss my car's a** all the time thinking that I am going to race them.

There is no end to the idiots who ride my bumper and fly by me in 2nd gear like they are so cool. Then there are the ones that sit there at the clubs with their shades on at night..friggen idiots. I have no idea why they have all these chicks in miniskirts leaning on their cars either because they are idiots! I guess the chicks are idiots too for liking them. They all love to drive around in that 2nd gear and most of them can't shift worth S**t. They have like a 1500 or more RPM loss from gear to gear. Then most of them have that baffle out of their exhaust, robbing crucial low end power but usually they are too stupid to know that. So with my new car, I wanted to get into closed course racing but lo and behold..everyone around here just drag races.
TALENTLESS...BALL-LESS DRAG RACING. And most of them can't even do that worth crap.

These idiots who are doing 80+ in 50 zones and revving their 2nd gear all the time are NOT STREET RACERS! Most real racers I know take it to the track and can actually drive. There is just a select few who make the rest of us look bad. So they simply need to be put on a big target board and be shot at with a supersoaker full of skunk piss.
Once inawhile I pass the morons at the clubs and show them a nice double clutched, zero loss, quickshift but usually I just relax and sip my coffee knowing that I have 250+ under the hood with some of the best handling in the world and don't need to endanger the public with it either.