How can I stop overthinking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 9:07 am

Worries and thoughts I'm struggling with include:

- Dying from something just because I'm over 30 (e.g. heart attack, stroke etc) despite not believing that there is something right now physically wrong with me and I know full well that I'm more likely to die from being run over or crashing my car outside and don't worry about that. I always find myself sometimes worrying about getting something in the future years from now when I clearly don't know what's going to happen to me.

- Worrying about others dying (I lost one granddad in October and another in January)

- Current issues going on in the world like war in Ukraine, Gaza etc thinking it will get worse and worse, cost of living despite the fact we and not exactly a poor family and can still afford things.

- Feeling that because I'm over 30 that my time for starting relationship, marriage and kids is "running out" even though I've never really been in a relationship and thinking I've wasted the 20s not being in one. Despite the fact that there are times when I enjoy my own single company and a part of me not wanting my own kids knowing tantrums, stress that come along with them but feel if I don't have a child like my peers then I never will in the future because of age or whatever.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 1:07 pm

I really think you need to get some kind of talking therapy chris1989.

You seem to be trapped in a pattern of thinking, asking the same questions and getting the same answers over and over, and you don't appear to be interested in engaging with the answers you keep getting.

I think you might have more success breaking this pattern with a professional therapist.

If you can't afford to do that privately your GP should be able to refer you to whatever services are available in Kent. Or you may be able to self-refer, you can in Dorset.