Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

27 Sep 2020, 7:01 pm

i'm tired of not understanding how social interactions work. how to respond, what to say, is it appropriate to talk about it? i'm tired of appeasing to people who i want to try to have friendships with but it never happens, or i just find myself incredibly drained for no reason and cant bother to respond.

im tired of feeling like a bad person for not understanding. i try, and i feel like the internet makes everything worse, but it's also a curse that i find myself able to respond more strongly than i can in real life - i'd just fumble over my words or get too riled up and start crying because im too frustrated.

i rather just kill myself than go on, i don't have much to live for. i more or less dropped out of college. i don't have a family. i have a partner, but they can do better than me. i don't think i was supposed to be born and as punishment god or whatever f*cking exists decided to make my life a living hell.

i don't know how to handle anything. why am i so g0ddamn pathetic? why am i this stupid pile of flesh that can't do anything right except cry?


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,678
Location: Jersey UK

27 Sep 2020, 7:30 pm

It sounds like you just need to get the right support.
Consider going to a doctor of general medicine and explain to them how you feel.
If you don't think that you can do that face to face, perhaps write something
such as what you have written above and give it to them to read.

Most MD's / medical doctors (called GP's in the UK)
should be able to help in one or more ways.

Antidepressants and other med's can help reduce how depressed you are, as well as help a bit with social anxiety.
If you have a formal diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, then you may be able to get an occupational therapist to help advise with various autism spectrum disorder based issues (i.e. help you with sensory issues etc.)

Medical doctors may also be able to refer you to a psychologist, who can give you counseling or CBT.

A medical doctor may also be able to refer you to an autism spectrum disorder support group.
If the doctor you speak with does not know, then you should be able to get information from your national autism charity, which can be contacted via website.

I completely understand how crap it is to have autism spectrum disorder, in a world that doesn't understand.
However, despite life for a person with autism spectrum disorder being harder than it is for normal people
this does not mean that there isn't still a lot in life to enjoy.

Sure, many of us won't necessarily be the next big superstar actor, model or rock star.
But does not mean that life has nothing to offer us.

Trying to stay positive is an essential skill to get through life. Being in your early 20s means that you likely have a great deal of years left on this planet and loads of potential opportunities available to you, many which you likely aren't aware of.

Personally i stay contented by engrossing myself in my favourite areas of interest.
So i recommend that you find one or more areas of interest to focus your mind on.

Ideally something that stimulates you intellectually, creatively and perhaps even spiritually.

There are loads of great activities that we can focus our time on while on this planet that
have the potential to bring us great pleasure.

I recommend focusing on them rather than the darkness in this world and the darkness in our own lives.
Much of life can be viewed in many different ways.

You can look for all that is bad in life, and see bad where ever you go.
Or you can look on the bright side of life, which may brighten your outlook.

There is a lot to be said for the count your blessings idea.

Count your blessings before you go to bed every day, and you remind yourself what good there is in your life and the world. I recommend including in your counting all sorts of things that we take for granted, such as shelter, food, clothing, partner, any friends, good health, even the natural beauty that we see in the world around us every day of our lives.

If you learn to be thankful for the many good things in life that we have, then you start to appreciate what you have.
If it helps, thank God (which ever one that you believe in), for the things that you have.

The funny thing is, doing this simple activity does help you change your outlook on life and appreciate the little things.
Prey to God, see if it helps.

From a different perspective, Buddhists believe that the nature of life is suffering.
Following the logic that even those with everything in life can not escape suffering as we all inevitably
grow old, our bodies decay and then die.

The Buddhists believe however that there is an answer, an solution to this problem is to accept that we suffer,
and taking that into account, learn to live with the suffering.

If interested in this idea, then perhaps buy a book on Buddhism that explains their philosophy in more detail.
I can recommend books by the Dalai Lama.

As for activities to take up.
I can say there are loads of activities that may take your mind off your suffering.
For example:

Sport
Music
Art
Learning language
Martial Arts
Cooking
Craft

etc.
hope this post helps you
hope you feel better soon



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

27 Sep 2020, 7:33 pm

Everybody was “supposed to be born.”



Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,303
Location: The Northern Waste

27 Sep 2020, 8:27 pm

^ Seconded

honeytoast wrote:
i more or less dropped out of college.


I know what it's like to drop out/get kicked out of college. It was an awful experience.

honeytoast wrote:
i have a partner, but they can do better than me.


They chose you. Remember that.



Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,507

27 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

You are not a bad person. :heart:

Learn to forgive yourself. :heart: :heart:



Last edited by Jiheisho on 27 Sep 2020, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

27 Sep 2020, 8:49 pm

honeytoast wrote:

im tired of feeling like a bad person for not understanding. i try, and i feel like the internet makes everything worse, but it's also a curse that i find myself able to respond more strongly than i can in real life - i'd just fumble over my words or get too riled up and start crying because im too frustrated.


What is it about online interaction that you have difficulty with?
I find it preferable than relating to people in real life because it gives me time to organise my thinking.



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

27 Sep 2020, 11:36 pm

Pepe wrote:
honeytoast wrote:

im tired of feeling like a bad person for not understanding. i try, and i feel like the internet makes everything worse, but it's also a curse that i find myself able to respond more strongly than i can in real life - i'd just fumble over my words or get too riled up and start crying because im too frustrated.


What is it about online interaction that you have difficulty with?
I find it preferable than relating to people in real life because it gives me time to organise my thinking.

Tones. It can be so easy to misread what someone was trying to say because of how it can be present via text.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

27 Sep 2020, 11:38 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
It sounds like you just need to get the right support.
Consider going to a doctor of general medicine and explain to them how you feel.
If you don't think that you can do that face to face, perhaps write something
such as what you have written above and give it to them to read.

Most MD's / medical doctors (called GP's in the UK)
should be able to help in one or more ways.

Antidepressants and other med's can help reduce how depressed you are, as well as help a bit with social anxiety.
If you have a formal diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, then you may be able to get an occupational therapist to help advise with various autism spectrum disorder based issues (i.e. help you with sensory issues etc.)

Medical doctors may also be able to refer you to a psychologist, who can give you counseling or CBT.

A medical doctor may also be able to refer you to an autism spectrum disorder support group.
If the doctor you speak with does not know, then you should be able to get information from your national autism charity, which can be contacted via website.

I completely understand how crap it is to have autism spectrum disorder, in a world that doesn't understand.
However, despite life for a person with autism spectrum disorder being harder than it is for normal people
this does not mean that there isn't still a lot in life to enjoy.

Sure, many of us won't necessarily be the next big superstar actor, model or rock star.
But does not mean that life has nothing to offer us.

Trying to stay positive is an essential skill to get through life. Being in your early 20s means that you likely have a great deal of years left on this planet and loads of potential opportunities available to you, many which you likely aren't aware of.

Personally i stay contented by engrossing myself in my favourite areas of interest.
So i recommend that you find one or more areas of interest to focus your mind on.

Ideally something that stimulates you intellectually, creatively and perhaps even spiritually.

There are loads of great activities that we can focus our time on while on this planet that
have the potential to bring us great pleasure.

I recommend focusing on them rather than the darkness in this world and the darkness in our own lives.
Much of life can be viewed in many different ways.

You can look for all that is bad in life, and see bad where ever you go.
Or you can look on the bright side of life, which may brighten your outlook.

There is a lot to be said for the count your blessings idea.

Count your blessings before you go to bed every day, and you remind yourself what good there is in your life and the world. I recommend including in your counting all sorts of things that we take for granted, such as shelter, food, clothing, partner, any friends, good health, even the natural beauty that we see in the world around us every day of our lives.

If you learn to be thankful for the many good things in life that we have, then you start to appreciate what you have.
If it helps, thank God (which ever one that you believe in), for the things that you have.

The funny thing is, doing this simple activity does help you change your outlook on life and appreciate the little things.
Prey to God, see if it helps.

From a different perspective, Buddhists believe that the nature of life is suffering.
Following the logic that even those with everything in life can not escape suffering as we all inevitably
grow old, our bodies decay and then die.

The Buddhists believe however that there is an answer, an solution to this problem is to accept that we suffer,
and taking that into account, learn to live with the suffering.

If interested in this idea, then perhaps buy a book on Buddhism that explains their philosophy in more detail.
I can recommend books by the Dalai Lama.

As for activities to take up.
I can say there are loads of activities that may take your mind off your suffering.
For example:

Sport
Music
Art
Learning language
Martial Arts
Cooking
Craft

etc.
hope this post helps you
hope you feel better soon

i dont even know if i can. no insurance or anything, its pretty messed up in the states. usually im able to be alright, but some days everything just comes apart. im still learning about autism and my diagnosis. maybe im not really autistic, im just an anxious coward and a pessimist.

i just feel so lost. i want to have a normal life, but normal will never be in my reach.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

27 Sep 2020, 11:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Everybody was “supposed to be born.”

I don't like how I was born. It's not fair that I was born into this life, but I guess that I gotta do my best to cope or give up.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

28 Sep 2020, 12:08 am

honeytoast wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Everybody was “supposed to be born.”

I don't like how I was born. It's not fair that I was born into this life, but I guess that I gotta do my best to cope or give up.


No one chooses to be born, that's right.
And yes, we just have to make the best of things.

You are only 22.
It gets easier when you get older, "all things being equal".
People generally learn/gain better-coping skills, with experience.

I advise you to simplify your life, where you can, to take some of the anxiety/stress out of your existence.
Avoid toxic people and toxic situations wherever you can.

Do you have a pet you can focus on?



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

28 Sep 2020, 12:33 am

Pepe wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Everybody was “supposed to be born.”

I don't like how I was born. It's not fair that I was born into this life, but I guess that I gotta do my best to cope or give up.


No one chooses to be born, that's right.
And yes, we just have to make the best of things.

You are only 22.
It gets easier when you get older, "all things being equal".
People generally learn/gain better-coping skills, with experience.

I advise you to simplify your life, where you can, to take some of the anxiety/stress out of your existence.
Avoid toxic people and toxic situations wherever you can.

Do you have a pet you can focus on?

I used to have a dog, but he lives with my parents. I’d love to get a pet but I am not allowed to have one. Even a fish is a big no no. Though I might just get one just because why not? I miss the feeling of taking care of an animal.

I just feel like I’ve lived a million lives. I am young, but I’ve gone through traumatic things some people never will experience. I’m better than where I am now, but is it worth it? To continue hopping from one dark pit to the next?


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,303
Location: The Northern Waste

28 Sep 2020, 1:31 am

honeytoast wrote:
I used to have a dog, but he lives with my parents. I’d love to get a pet but I am not allowed to have one. Even a fish is a big no no. Though I might just get one just because why not? I miss the feeling of taking care of an animal.


You might qualify for an emotional support animal? That would require a diagnosis/evaluation of some sort.

https://esadoctors.com/how-to-certify-an-emotional-support-dog/#:~:text=The%20only%20legitimate%20way%20to,professional%20through%20an%20online%20platform.

I got to have my cat that way in our apartment. You say you have no family, but do you still talk to them at all? Maybe they'd consider adding you to their insurance (if they have insurance) so you could get an evaluation. Your parents can cover you until you turn 26 in the US.



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,163
Location: 1Q84

28 Sep 2020, 2:06 am

Feyokien wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
I used to have a dog, but he lives with my parents. I’d love to get a pet but I am not allowed to have one. Even a fish is a big no no. Though I might just get one just because why not? I miss the feeling of taking care of an animal.


You might qualify for an emotional support animal? That would require a diagnosis/evaluation of some sort.

https://esadoctors.com/how-to-certify-an-emotional-support-dog/#:~:text=The%20only%20legitimate%20way%20to,professional%20through%20an%20online%20platform.

I got to have my cat that way in our apartment. You say you have no family, but do you still talk to them at all? Maybe they'd consider adding you to their insurance (if they have insurance) so you could get an evaluation. Your parents can cover you until you turn 26 in the US.

They’re in a different country so I cannot do that.

I might sneak in a gold fish and call it good


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 114,317
Location: the island of defective toy santas

28 Sep 2020, 2:34 am

i feel for what you have described, Honeytoast, i really do. i have been on this earth for roughly twice as long as you, and can tell you that in light of this, that eventually it does get better, but that the intervening years are a real trial, a real test of one's mettle, but if you stick it out you will be light years ahead, if you stay the course you will have a degree in the school of hard knocks and that henceforth, nothing more will be able to get you seriously down. you will get a hard-won sense of perspective, which will enable you to see things in their correct precedence and not be easily alarmed at temporary problems. on a slightly tangential tack, i can tell you that when i was on Strattera, that was the first and only time in my life [before my present long-in-the-tooth dotage] that life made sense to me, it was the first and only time in my life when i could be both relaxed yet alert at the same time. YMMV, but if you are like me with slow frontal lobes, that is something to ask your MP about.



quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Age: 324
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,922
Location: Germany

28 Sep 2020, 1:03 pm

honeytoast wrote:
i'm tired of not understanding how social interactions work.

Just be nice and open but not naive towards others and care about keeping a good mood and a positive feeling towards them and especially skip negative expectations at first contact because they notice your expectations and their empathy may cause them to feel bad about you. Here I wrote a about that stuff - hope it helps you a bit:
viewtopic.php?t=388749#p8572166
viewtopic.php?t=390686&start=240#p8621230


_________________
I am as I am. :skull: :sunny: :wink: :sunny: :skull: Life has to be an adventure!


Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,507

28 Sep 2020, 2:07 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I miss the feeling of taking care of an animal.


Can you volunteer at a local animal shelter?