I'm worried about making the same financial mistakes

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

Losing my SSI income has been eye opening but I worry when I get things going again (income wise) I'll just make the same mistakes. $1,000's in games wasting money. How can I keep from making the same mistakes???

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2016, 9:43 pm

How did you lose your SSI? Once you are back on it you could get a payee to manage your money for you. I heard those are a headache sometimes though, but if it has been that much of a problem in the past it might be worth doing.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 10:08 pm

Yes I agree, you would benefit by having someone pay your main bills out of your SSI and then give you an allowance. You'll be limited in what you can spend, which for now seems like a good idea.

Are you engaged in anything to learn more about independent living? I see too many people here at WP who fritter away their lives primarily challenged by reaching the next level in a video game. I'm not saying you can never game, but by your own admission, it has taken over your life and your budget at times.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 10:29 pm

I don't really game much anymore and I did it by picking one game (Skyrim) and just sticking to that. Don't buy a lot of games just find a good one with loads of content and boom just play that. Remember you don't have to do every Steam Sale and another good idea is create a budget for hobbies. Like put $10 a month towards games and game off that. Also google humble bundle, its great for gaming on a budget and its legit.