Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 11:22 pm

I am not yet diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome but have come to truly believe that I have it. I found out about AS while looking up something in wikipedia and became obsessed with it. After thinking I knew enough about it i created my own self diagnostic. I went to the person that handles that kind of stuff at my school (Im 14) and gave her the self diagnostic. She said she would look into it and even arranged for me to take a autism test. (I am also part deaf so that was a problem that is being fixed also.)

Awhile later I visited this person and she told me that it would probably be a waste of time to take a test for autism and she believed that I did not have it from the observations she made. In fact I had no problems other than my hearing. I thanked her and told her I understood and was happy with that. However I have a growing feeling that I do have Aspergers even if she thinks I don't.

I have meet many people that think I have Aspergers and should get a diagnostic when I showed them my self diagnostic and i fit so many of these characteristics only theres no real way to show this to people I think.

Is it wrong to think these things?

What should I do from here?

(Please ask if you want to see my self diagnostic, its rather long however and some of you might like it.)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:26 pm

Not wrong at all.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 11:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Not wrong at all.

Tim

Thank you very much Tim. ^.^

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:46 pm

I'd say that your refusal to accept her saying you don't have it was an AS trait in its own right...

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 12:07 am

If you think that the AS traits that you show are caused by being partially deaf, than you might not have AS. However, if you think the traits are not due to being partially deaf, then most likely you do have AS. Most people have never heard about AS and many professionals are only just learning about it. The criteria for AS is somewhat subjective and it may help to have a professional diagnose you, to make sure you're not over-exaggerating some things. However, if you are pretty certain you fit the criteria, then your opinion is probabaly worth as much as a professional's.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 12:57 am

I've met professional psychologists who don't believe I have it even though I have the diagnosis. They hardly even seem to understand what it is, I'm guessing because it wasn't around as a diagnosis when they went to school. If you have to know ask a professional who knows a lot about AS.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:19 am

Well, my school district had done the test, then ignored it. I'd say pursue it further.

aminahmae
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2007, 1:19 am

you know yourself better than anyone else. if you understand the diagonostic criteria and trluy feel it applies to you , then you most likely are an aspie.

05 May 2007, 2:48 am

Can I see your self diagnoses you made?

WriterWithoutWords
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2007, 11:13 am

I too would like to see you self diagnostic.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 1:12 pm

Who cares about right or wrong ?
Self diagnosis at age 14 is ludicrous. :lol:

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:22 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
Who cares about right or wrong ?
Self diagnosis at age 14 is ludicrous. :lol:

It's a comfort for some.

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 12:34 pm

What are her qualifications? All you said was that "she handles these things". Does she have a Ph.D? Masters? And, what exactly were these "observations" that she made? Does she see you interacting with people 24 hours a day? She doesn´t sound like someone you should continue to see about this. Tell your parents, go to a professional, heck, go to a few of them. Ones that know about AS.

This could be very important. You are still young and have a chance to work on these things rather than being confused about them for years and having it completely destroy your psyche and self-esteem like some of us here. Even if you don´t get the diagnoses, you already recognize certain problems that you have, so you need to work on them regardless of the fact that you have AS or not. This is important, this is very important.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 1:46 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
Self diagnosis at age 14 is ludicrous.

Why?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 3:34 pm

OddCoyote wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Not wrong at all.

Tim

Thank you very much Tim. ^.^

yes... there's nothing wrong with questioning the things you are told... in fact, there's something wrong if you blindly accept most things you are told.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2007, 12:55 pm

jonathan79 wrote:
What are her qualifications? All you said was that "she handles these things". Does she have a Ph.D? Masters? And, what exactly were these "observations" that she made? Does she see you interacting with people 24 hours a day? She doesn´t sound like someone you should continue to see about this. Tell your parents, go to a professional, heck, go to a few of them. Ones that know about AS.

This could be very important. You are still young and have a chance to work on these things rather than being confused about them for years and having it completely destroy your psyche and self-esteem like some of us here. Even if you don´t get the diagnoses, you already recognize certain problems that you have, so you need to work on them regardless of the fact that you have AS or not. This is important, this is very important.

This person talks with Aspies and such people about 6 hours a day. She has had the job for 30 years and has two masters degrees. I guess that would qualify her wouldn't it?