Should I remain friends with a narcissist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WalmartCow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2016, 6:31 am

Yes. I am friends per say with a girl who has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
I've done research on the disorder and I believe I am not exactly a "friend" to her. More like somebody that is treated like a friend but really is just a life supply for her ego and a mirror to look at. And supposedly, sooner or later from what I've read, I'll be possibly abandoned somewhere along the friendship if I don't fulfill her needs or keep her entertained. I'll be left behind, feeling dry and drained from the roller coaster of the friendship.

She has done positive things like, showing me some music she listens to, introducing me to her boyfriend and her friends, we watched horror movies together and all. If she did something bad to me, like hurt my feelings, she would typically apologize and everything would get patched up easily. Even though she can not feel remorse whatsoever, she at least says the words, "I'm sorry.". And that's enough for me. But, she also has her negative and bad moments.

Whenever she gets attacked in a situation that sometimes she'll start, she'll start playing the victim. She has forced me into situations I would not want to partake in, and she would end up yelling at me and calling me names. Like, moron, socially tone deaf moron, idiot, etc, etc. And also, when her dog passed away, I felt apathetic towards it since I didn't have an emotional or personal connection with the dog, but I at least tried to comfort her in my awkward and quiet way. She didn't like it whatsoever and said how "I was deader than her boyfriend" and had the nerveto bring up the death of my dad and say how if I was emotionless with that situation as well.

She also gas lighted me and maybe emotionally manipulated me at times. And once, I gave her some criticism about a series she was working on and saying how it could possibly be a hit or miss depending on how the readers, critics, and all perceive it. She flipped her crap and called me untalented and insecure.

I gladly have a lot of tolerance with people, if I didn't, the friendship would've immeaditley been cut off once she said the first offensive thing towards me. I found per say answers on whether or not if I should continue the friendship with her and most of them said, "Avoid them like the plague", "Cut them from your life, if not, you're going to be emotionally and mentally drained once they're finished with you.", "They're toxic people and all they can bring to the table is negativity.", etc, etc.

With all that advice and answers, I am still confused on whether or not if I should keep her in my social life. Any advice, opinions, and answers from you guys?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 11:29 am

I say if she is toxic, you don't have to be friends with her. If you know she is gas lighting, just ignore it and don't listen to it. Believe in yourself. Also don't argue with her, just go "okay" and move on. I also hope you are being careful about how much you are sharing with her because they do use it against you.

My ex boyfriend who was a narcissist knew I had anxiety so he kept on doing things that would trigger it and get mad at me about it and when I told him one day i thought he was going to drive into these mailboxes, he started to drive close to them intentionally to make it look like he was going to do it. I knew he would never wreck his car so I ignored it and didn't get nervous.

If they know you have low self esteem, they will use it against you like let's say they know you often don't feel very smart, they will then just say things to make you feel more inferior and worse.

Also to never try and prove a narcissist wrong, they will always try to be right and keep being right and you can't prove them wrong. I could never prove my ex wrong so he always found excuses.

Example:

Him: You like baby stuff
Me: I like adult stuff too, I like oldie music, I like to watch movies about crime and drama, I even have Vision Quest, Benny & Joon (and listed other adult titles)
Him: They play oldie music for toddlers and re sing the songs for their albums and you only watch movies based on Spokane and Benny & Joon

See? You couldn't prove him wrong. No matter what I liked, he would find excuses to minimize my other interests that weren't so baby. It was like nothing was ever good enough for him. Even me listening to a radio station, it didn't prove him anything so instead he would make a big deal out of what music I listened to and called it country even though it wasn't country. My husband said he was making fun of me because of a tone he was using. I always thought it was his normal voice.

But yeah I would cut these people out of your life. My ex did hurt my self esteem and had me thinking I was crazy and I was doubting myself. I even felt like carrying a tape recorder around and recording our talks so I could go back to see if I really said this and if he said that. But seriously if you are often feeling this way, you are very likely being gas lighted. The way to deal with it is to take notes what your friend says to you and tell her you have been feeling your memory has been going bad so you take notes to help you out.

Also try gray rocking if you don't think dumping your friend is an option.

http://narcissistsupport.com/going-gray-rock/
http://www.lovefraud.com/2012/02/10/the ... ychopaths/

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 11:44 am

I only had to read your first two sentences and I just went through the same thing with someone. Get out while you can.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 12:26 pm

Good thing for her she didn't talk about my father that way.
She'd be sorry, all right.

That's not a friend.

WalmartCow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I say if she is toxic, you don't have to be friends with her. If you know she is gas lighting, just ignore it and don't listen to it. Believe in yourself. Also don't argue with her, just go "okay" and move on. I also hope you are being careful about how much you are sharing with her because they do use it against you.

My ex boyfriend who was a narcissist knew I had anxiety so he kept on doing things that would trigger it and get mad at me about it and when I told him one day i thought he was going to drive into these mailboxes, he started to drive close to them intentionally to make it look like he was going to do it. I knew he would never wreck his car so I ignored it and didn't get nervous.

If they know you have low self esteem, they will use it against you like let's say they know you often don't feel very smart, they will then just say things to make you feel more inferior and worse.

Also to never try and prove a narcissist wrong, they will always try to be right and keep being right and you can't prove them wrong. I could never prove my ex wrong so he always found excuses.

Example:

Him: You like baby stuff
Me: I like adult stuff too, I like oldie music, I like to watch movies about crime and drama, I even have Vision Quest, Benny & Joon (and listed other adult titles)
Him: They play oldie music for toddlers and re sing the songs for their albums and you only watch movies based on Spokane and Benny & Joon

See? You couldn't prove him wrong. No matter what I liked, he would find excuses to minimize my other interests that weren't so baby. It was like nothing was ever good enough for him. Even me listening to a radio station, it didn't prove him anything so instead he would make a big deal out of what music I listened to and called it country even though it wasn't country. My husband said he was making fun of me because of a tone he was using. I always thought it was his normal voice.

But yeah I would cut these people out of your life. My ex did hurt my self esteem and had me thinking I was crazy and I was doubting myself. I even felt like carrying a tape recorder around and recording our talks so I could go back to see if I really said this and if he said that. But seriously if you are often feeling this way, you are very likely being gas lighted. The way to deal with it is to take notes what your friend says to you and tell her you have been feeling your memory has been going bad so you take notes to help you out.

Also try gray rocking if you don't think dumping your friend is an option.

http://narcissistsupport.com/going-gray-rock/
http://www.lovefraud.com/2012/02/10/the ... ychopaths/

I'll maybe try gray rocking. Since from what I've seen from these replies, I should get rid of her.

WalmartCow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2016, 5:02 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Good thing for her she didn't talk about my father that way.
She'd be sorry, all right.

That's not a friend.

Defiantly not a friend!

WalmartCow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I only had to read your first two sentences and I just went through the same thing with someone. Get out while you can.

I'll try!

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 3:33 pm

I'm sure I don't have to repeat what everyone else just said, but why not solidify it. Run, Run, Run! I also was with an ex who was an abusive narsessist, and they are draining, abusive, controlling, and they constantly play the victim. Nothing is ever their fault, but the fault of others only. You will never be right, no matter what, and eventually, they will drain you of a self esteem, and leave you behind to find another fresh victim to play with again. It doesn't matter whether it's a friend, family member, or a partner. This is what they do, and the best way to handle them, is to keep your distance. They are toxic!