What's the point speaking to someone when I won't get seen?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 12:24 pm

I seem to think the health services are in a state with strikes and stuff going on and that I'll just be put on waiting list with hundreds of other people. When I say health services, I mean mental health services.

Last edited by chris1989 on 27 Apr 2023, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 12:54 pm

Is that TRUE or is it a distortion in your thought process? Even if its true, isn't it better to be seen eventually than not to be seen at all?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 1:00 pm

No, the NHS *is* in a state of crisis. You're not imagining it. Because the government wants us to go to the American style of insurance healthcare.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 2:43 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think the health services are in a state with strikes and stuff going on and that I'll just be put on waiting list with hundreds of other people. When I say health services, I mean mental health services.

Wow, dude. Hell of an edit there.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 2:48 pm

KitLily wrote:
No, the NHS *is* in a state of crisis. You're not imagining it. Because the government wants us to go to the American style of insurance healthcare.

That panics me and we must not let it happen.

Don't protests get people to change the law to their desires? Instead of getting everyone to change gender pronouns they should be listening to us working class citizens who rely on the NHS and want to keep it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 3:10 pm

If we went to the Korean style of private healthcare we would have no waiting lists and though it costs, it is far superior. If we went to the American style healthcare we would be paying twice (Our taxes would not go down to compensate for not paying into the NHS side of things) AND we will be paying out privately.
The Korean healthcare system is (If used correctly by all) very fair and has the best of nearly everything. Everyone pays, but if one goes ill, one does not pay a penny until one is back to good health. Thus it is in the interests of the healthcare system to treat you to the utmost health so you don't have to go back as they don't get paid when you are ill. ALSO due to this, there is no such thing as waiting lists. Patients walk in (Or are dragged in etc), and are seen straight away! Rarely does anyone need to wait! It is an incredible system, and when one sees such a system working so efficiently one will not mind paying (If one has the money) because one knows they will do their utmost to give you the very best treatment to get you back into work and it is appreciated by all.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 27 Apr 2023, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 3:16 pm

I think every country should have an NHS system. It's very comforting to know that whatever happens to your health you won't have to pay to see a doctor or a nurse or to have an ambulance, except for the dentist (yes, we have to pay unaffordable amounts to see the dentist).

I have no money really, so the NHS is a godsend for me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 4:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

That panics me and we must not let it happen.

Don't protests get people to change the law to their desires? Instead of getting everyone to change gender pronouns they should be listening to us working class citizens who rely on the NHS and want to keep it.

Yes it's terrifying isn't it. I keep trying to tell people but they just say 'nonsense' and refuse to believe it.

I really want to stop it happening but it's hard to know what to do, I just try my best :?

I agree, the dentist prices are ridiculous.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 4:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Instead of getting everyone to change gender pronouns they should be listening to us working class citizens who rely on the NHS and want to keep it.

How are gender pronouns related to this topic?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 4:29 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Instead of getting everyone to change gender pronouns they should be listening to us working class citizens who rely on the NHS and want to keep it.

Well my boyfriend told me that groups of people get what they want by protesting, and that protesting has the power to change the law or change the way the government runs things (which was how LGBT got heard). So if enough people get together to protest against privatising the healthcare system then the government might change their minds and keep the NHS.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 4:52 pm

I think people here ought to know that when I seem aggressive here it means that I'm freaking out with anxiety overload. The thought of the NHS collapsing terrifies me.

Offline it's easier to express anxiety without being aggressive, because I can use tone of voice, facial expressions and body language and it's easier to relate to people. Online there's no non-verbal cues to back my feelings up. Well there is on Facebook because the emojis are much more convincing. Here the emojis aren't that great at illustrating how I really feel.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 6:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think people here ought to know that when I seem aggressive here it means that I'm freaking out with anxiety overload. The thought of the NHS collapsing terrifies me.

Offline it's easier to express anxiety without being aggressive, because I can use tone of voice, facial expressions and body language and it's easier to relate to people. Online there's no non-verbal cues to back my feelings up. Well there is on Facebook because the emojis are much more convincing. Here the emojis aren't that great at illustrating how I really feel.

That is a mixed blessing. Online puts autistic people on a more even playingfield than in person. But, I'll personally be going in person to meet with my psychologist as I work through the diagnosis process specifically because I don't want to be given the help masking that comes from technology.

These sorts of things rarely have an easy solution to them. The best you can do is try to muddle through it as best you can and look for anything that can reasonably help you get through it more effectively.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2023, 6:53 am

Joe90 wrote:

Hopefully there's enough people fighting for the NHS to keep it going. Sending you virtual hugs! I would post a soothing photo but I have no idea how to do that on this site.

I think I'm more aggressive offline because I tend to suddenly blow up without warning. Or at least, no warning that unobservant humans notice. Online I can take my time to write clearly. I wish I was like you and could relate to people offline :heart:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Well my boyfriend told me that groups of people get what they want by protesting, and that protesting has the power to change the law or change the way the government runs things (which was how LGBT got heard). So if enough people get together to protest against privatising the healthcare system then the government might change their minds and keep the NHS.

Tories will work to dismantle the NHS no matter what. Their motive is letting their cronies take over that sector of the economy.

Protests might help exert pressure, but you'd also need to vote for a party that will adequately support it.

That party might end up being the one that's also respectful of people's pronouns. It's not like compassion for people is at odds with compassion for people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 12:43 pm

I'm just in a blind panic about the NHS that's all. I can barely afford to live as it is, let alone having to pay to see a doctor. I've had to neglect my pet's health because I have very little money at the moment (no, they don't have insurance for rodents), so if I have to pay for my own health then I'd obviously have to abandon my own health in order to save myself some bread.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 4:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm just in a blind panic about the NHS that's all. I can barely afford to live as it is, let alone having to pay to see a doctor. I've had to neglect my pet's health because I have very little money at the moment (no, they don't have insurance for rodents), so if I have to pay for my own health then I'd obviously have to abandon my own health in order to save myself some bread.

I don't blame you. I'd feel the same way if OHIP was dismantled (minus the pet dilemma).

I'm just saying there's a bigger picture; the same people who want to dismantle the NHS would love for you to blame whatever group of marginalized people you might pick rather than blaming them.

Directing your fears and contempt towards anyone but those actually making the decisions is a common strategy in politics. If someone's pre-existing biases will make them take out their frustrations on that group instead of the people in power, that's one less person trying to take out their frustrations on the people in power.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う