I'm cynical, and I'm not happy about it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 3:58 pm

I just lately have been really down about the world. I've been think these horrible thoughts. Like I was down town and this drunk homeless man was crossing the street and this man in a Mustang conveertable drove past him and gave him no notice, then I thought to myself that it would be funny if the homeless man would piss in his car.
Another time I was riding the city bus when everyone was cutting everyone else off in their cars. I then thought to myself they are like pathectic cattle just going about their meaningless lifes. But then I relized that would be a horrible insult to the cows!
I guess I'm just really tired of the world I live in. I think their is horrible things going on and that it is all just a big chirade. Maybe I'm depressed or maybe its nothing just a faze. But I am just tired of this crap. I have been even reading more depressing books. I am also emulating these philosophers like Nitchze-sorry I cant spell his friggin name- I have even been watching really cynical movies. I just so tired of this crappy world we live in.
Sorry I just feel like I could go on forever but I'll stop now.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 4:50 pm

Well, you're right, this world is pretty crappy in a lot of ways. I think a lot of NT people ignore that stuff and live for each other, which is not really something autistic people would do. People piss me off. I hate them. Their behaviour is inexcusable more often than not. That's what human beings are.

What gets me through life is appreciating the everyday miracles. Not the kind where a rich man helps up a homeless man who has tripped and hurt himself. That's just more human behaviour crap, and frankly I think the bad usually outweighs the good.

What amazes me is being alive and conscious enough to be aware of what a miracle it is that the Universe exists at all. Isn't that a wonder? I can look up at the sky at night and realize that all those sparkling points of light are whole suns and galaxies like- or completely unlike- our own. It leaves me in awe to realize that life here on Earth and probably in many other places simply appeared and developed into a life form that was capable of understanding the universe well enough to be awestruck by it.

I am amazed at the astonishing rugged beauty of natural waterfalls. I am amazed at the dazzling way the Aurora Borealis swirls and shimmers. I am amazed that I can type these words on my keyboard and there they appear on my screen, which I haven't touched, and I know that they will appear on the screens of people on the other side of this planet. I am amazed that hummingbirds, which probably evolved from dinosaurs, can weigh 2-25 grams and flap their wings at 15-80 peats per second. They can hover.

Most of all I am grateful that I haven't lost my wonder at these things. Children are amazed by them, but most adults forget. Maybe it's because I am autistic- I don't know. I guess that's not the point. The point is, life, this world, and the Universe are more than worthy of our awe and unyielding appreciation.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 5:41 pm

I agree with youn totally. I have the awe of a child. I try to believe in the goodness of people they just make it so hard somedays, infact most days. I believe that this appreiction for the small things in life is what I like most about Asperger's. I feel a great sence of calm when I think about the universe and other sciences and just how we are just specks in the workings of the universe.
Thanks for cheering me up some :)

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 5:49 pm

You're welcome :)

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2007, 8:31 pm

I'm extremely cynical, to the point of arrogance. Every time I'm out in public, that's all I see and think about, the way people behave. Constantly observing their actions and trying to understand why they behave the way they do. It has become my main obsession.

What I have noticed about people is not pretty. People are animals. They stroll through life driven by their primal instincts. Dominance, survival, reproduction, etc. Every second of the day they are following their instincts, and they are completely oblivious to it.

I have the awe of a child as well, and people make fun of me because of it. I don't let them bother me anymore though.

Last edited by Jimbogf on 02 Jun 2007, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetpraline
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jun 2007, 11:28 am

Cecil,

I know how you feel. I am a cynical person, too. I am especially cynical when it comes to other people. When dealing with people, I have learned not to get my hopes too high. I know that people will not always be nice to you or treat your fairly. If I do meet someone who does turn out to be a good person, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But generally, I don't expect much from other people.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 12:08 pm

Thanks so much everyone :)
Its nice to know that I'm not the only one out their. Somedays I feel so alone, but then I come on WP :wink:

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:33 pm

I used to be only cynical about politics, but now I'm cynical about almost everything.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).