Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 3:28 am

how ridiculous would it be to request a removal of the right big toe after a very long time of repeated ingrown toenails, swelling and infection, ending up in removal of the nail segment only for it to read its ugly head months later once more?

because it appears that this is the course my life is heading in...and if i had to choose between spendng the next few decades in a constant war against my own foot or just having the offending extremity removed, i'd opt for the latter really.

i realize i may be exaggerating. i realize many doctors will refuse to do this, but f**k, even just today it was stepped on and i stubbed it HARD, on a wooden pallet and it's gotten red, swollen, bloody and black. i went to the urgent care clinic to have part of the nail removed a month ago...but the doc refused to do it saying it was too infected. she suggested epsom saltwater baths and prescribed a weeks worth of antibiotics. i soon ran out of those and have been bathing the thing every day but that's not a long term solution is it??

then what is????

it STILL HURTS, it HURTS to walk and IM JUST SO SICK OF THIS!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 3:55 am

I think it comes down to quality of life. From the details you have given it sounds quite a reasonable request... but only if that's an end to it... no more pain, no more anything. I assume you see a chiropodist/podiatrist. My chiropodist is very good and it's possible there may be another solution. Good luck.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 4:54 am

Tea tree oil.
Dropper it on, straight.
And ask to have the entire toenail removed from the nail bed.
Sounds painful, but not really.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 9:21 am

If you amputate your big toe, it affects, greatly, your ability to walk "normally," and it affects your balance, too.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 10:44 am

Raleigh wrote:
...ask to have the entire toenail removed from the nail bed.

Yes, that is what I have been considering. My father had that done for both big toes and said they were quite tender for a while as they healed, but then the toenail is completely gone and cannot cause further trouble.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 11:00 am

Kip the toenail can be removed (under anaesthetic) and the nail bed chemically treated to permanently prevent nail regrowth.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

There is an actual psychological disorder where people do this. The urge to get rid of good body parts sometimes for minor annoyance sometimes nothing at all. Not saying OP has this issue but I would think any credible doctor is going to recommend some psychological help if you bring this up with them.