People Don't Take Me Seriously

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ammeavid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2018, 11:43 am

I mask a lot and so lot of the time I feel like I come off as dumb and ditsy. It's not like I can stop though because it's the only way I can really get by decently as my high school's rather intolerant overall. I feel like the people around me never really take me seriously, even when I'm trying to be serious. Even people who know me well or have know me for a long time seem to do this. It makes me feel really alone. I feel like I'm not even taken seriously as someone on the spectrum because I pass too well. I've been diagnosed twice and when it comes down to it, it's pretty obvious I have it, but I feel like people don't really believe I do because I'm not a social outcast (btw it's not bad to be a social outcast I just feel like I have to fit a stereotype to be taken seriously).

A lot of the time I feel like I'm trapped in this weird middle space where I'm too "weird" to fit in with NTs, but too "normal" to fit in with all of you. I hate it a lot and I just feel really lost. It's like being trapped in this weird sort of limbo but it's my entire life.

I don't know what to do with myself. I just really hate feeling like everything I have to say is unimportant and I'll never know the feeling of "belonging" somewhere.

SophieTheWeirdo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jul 2018, 12:32 pm

I can kind of relate to that. When I used to go to school, I had a group of about 10 friends, maybe a bit less. Anyway, I was always trying to be the funniest and the craziest out of all of them just so I could fit in and so they'd like me. But all the 'popular' kids hated me with a passion. I couldn't understand why because I was so friendly to everyone, but then eventually I grew tired of trying to be someone I really wasn't. I'm actually really quiet and antisocial when I'm on my own or with my family. I just used this disguise type of thing when I was in big groups of people. I don't have any friends anymore. I don't know if that's just because I dropped out of school, or if it's because they all realized that I was weird and they couldn't understand why I pretended to be someone I wasn't. I wish I could turn back time and just be me. But maybe they wouldn't have wanted to be friends with me in the first place if I'd been like that... Anyway sorry, I'm rambling now. My point of this post was that no one ever used to take me seriously when I was acting funny or crazy. And when I finally told my best friend that I had depression and wanted to kill myself, she thought I was joking. I was so angry that I cut ties with her and the rest of them completely, but a part of me was hoping maybe one or two of my friends would've tried to help me. None of them did. And I guess I should just shut up now because I forgot what I'm even trying to say to be honest :lol: I hope people do take you seriously in the future, because you seem like a really nice person :)

"Seek first to understand before being understood." ~RossCreations

Can't think of anymore deep quotes but feel free to message me! I'm a very friendly person, but slightly awkward haha.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2018, 12:51 pm

I totally relate to that feeling of inadequacy and I'm very sorry that there are more people out there who feel like that. Nevertheless, I don't think I speak only for myself now because if you take a look around in these forums, there are others who created threads telling these same things. I'm way smarter than average and yet, I'll say the most stupid things way too often and I can't help it. It takes a brief moment of distraction and there it is, weird stuff slipped out of my mouth. Sometimes I feel like I need to be under constant awereness or else I'll do something stupid in front of other people. This causes me a lot of stress, depression and loneliness.

As you can see, we're all in the same boat here and I can't present you with a definitive solution but I have some small suggestions. Try Yoga classes, most especially the breathing techniques. It really works wonders. I am not doing Yoga for a long time now but I still do the breathing techniques every day in the morning, after the ablutions. Also, stay still under the shower. Embrace yourself, let the warm water come over you, feel the water pressure and empty your mind completely - or at least try to think positive things. These things help because they enhance your attention span and strengthen your self-esteem. Also, they take your focus out of other people and the negativity.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 2:36 pm

Its sad that so many highschool students are so jaded. Highschool should be fun because these should be the best years of your life. But for so many sadly this is not the case. People did not take me sriously in highschool either because I acted like a dits. They were mean to me anyway even when I acted normal. They also called me a b***h because I never talked to anyone.

Now that Im an adult out of school I find people to be unsensitive. I wish people were more understanding.