Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2018, 10:08 pm

Hi there

My psychologist has suggested using cold-showers as a self harm alternative. It's just not doing it for me, not relieving the anger, frustration and self hatred that I feel. Have been advised against the self-choking with belt and repeated hitting of self in head that I customarily use when I need to.

Can anyone please suggest or recommend a form of self harm they are familiar with? It should leave no physical visible evidence and cause no long term damage. Needs to be more of an active/aggressive type rather than something more passive like the cold shower.

Thanks!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

I don’t think anyone on here is going to recommend ways that you can self harm. You need to deal with the anger and frustration in more productive ways. You need to get at the root cause of your feelings. Things like exercise, journaling, talking to friends and family (or even someone at a crisis center), and meditating could all potentially help you manage your feelings.

I’m still trying to figure this stuff out myself since I recently had a thread about anger.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:28 am

Can I suggest push-ups until exhausted?

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2018, 2:35 am

So, you mean about 3 push ups?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 3:02 am

Any number above or equal to 1 will do. The key to mastery of any task is repetition.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 7:38 am

MoatsArt wrote:
Hi there

My psychologist has suggested using cold-showers as a self harm alternative. It's just not doing it for me, not relieving the anger, frustration and self hatred that I feel. Have been advised against the self-choking with belt and repeated hitting of self in head that I customarily use when I need to.

Can anyone please suggest or recommend a form of self harm they are familiar with? It should leave no physical visible evidence and cause no long term damage. Needs to be more of an active/aggressive type rather than something more passive like the cold shower.

Thanks!

Its all about craving pain.

The best thing would be for you to get a job in construction, or landscaping. Hard physical work that would cause the pain your crave.

But if you're already employed in something else and don't have time to chop wood or dig ditches then the thing to do IMHO would be to pump some iron, or do isometric excerices (like interlock your fingers -pull your arms against each other -basically using you're own muscles as free weights). The more pain you put into your muscles the better.

I do the latter myself in order to NOT do a certain self harm thing I do myself that I am trying to cure myself of.

In other words give yourself pain where it causes gain (like into your biceps triceps or leg muscles).

Also you might wanna get a stationary bike. If the urge to do self harm occurs just jump onto the bike and compete with yourself to see how many miles you can go on it. And it exercises your cardiovascular system (which is even more important than your biceps).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:19 pm

You can self harm without causing damage to your body. I do it all the time. I do a lot of pinching and when I need to hit my head I use the palm of my hand in a controlled way that causes pain but does not cause damage. I also squeeze my lips in a way that causes pain but does not cause damage. I also pinch my earlopes tightly. That can cause a lot of pain but not do any damage as well.

Wreck It Ralph

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2018, 9:40 pm

You need to get help, pronto. I'm concerned for your safety.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:11 am

Do to legal reasons, we cannot allow threads asking for advice on self-harm methods to stand.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)