i want to drop out of college

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 2:36 pm

Art therapy seems quite a cool job if you work better one on one.

Saying that, I think you would be awesome at teaching kids art. Yes, I know I don't know you but I still think you would be awesome. :roll: besides, you could try it out and see how you go. My teeenage niece teaches kids art classes at some chain-store art shop in America, can't remember the name right now, but sure those kind of opportunites must exist so you could try it out.

The jet program is a program getting English speaking graduates into Japanese high schools to work as English language speakers. You don't teach but you help with pronunciation and are a cultural ambassador. It is well paid and fully funded. My husband did it before we were married. He got a flat. Had really cushy hours and got a really good salary.

There must be many similar opportunities.

If you can find the money to do an EFL course like TEFL or Celta then the world is your oyster. The course can be pricey but only takes a month and it is fairly easy to find work abroad - in particular in Asia where they provide accomodation and sometimes even the airfare. Again, teaching in this setting would help you figure out if you could teach art back home.

I travelled across China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia when I was 18. I never spent more than 10 dollars a day and was able to save from my student grant to afford it.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 2:39 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
I travelled across China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia when I was 18. I never spent more than 10 dollars a day and was able to save from my student grant to afford it.

how

guess: through methods that were feasible in the past but not so much anymore because of...reasons.
probably too stupid for it anyway

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 2:48 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

how

guess: through methods that were feasible in the past but not so much anymore because of...reasons.
probably too stupid for it anyway

Maybe, admittedly it is 20 years ago.... where in countries like Laos it was fine to pay by American cigarettes as opposed to cash and where in Cambodia you could go out for dinner and the electricity would go and you would end up sitting there for 3 hrs before it came back on again.

But basically, cheap food... rice, vegetables, noodles. Mostly steet food. Cheap hostel. No alcohol. Cheapest travel everywhere - economy class on trains even on length journeys.... just a hard wooden seat even for overnight journeys. And for a lot of it I biked.... on a cheap pedal bike with no gears. :oops: well I was young then and none of this seemed a problem at the time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:16 pm

No. Not false.

You got yourself in a real tizzy. You don’t have a good perspective on yourself, I find.

Perhaps you’re too much of a perfectionist. You’re a man of many talents. I ain’t kidding.

You’re a linguist and an artist.

Sorry for being a pain in the butt. But I feel what I feel strongly.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:24 pm

I have no much idea how american universities are, it seem to be quite different from Brazil... but I had drop out college here twice. I regret a lot the first time I did it, but not much the second time. Now I'm almost graduating. I mostly quit already in mind pursuing a degree in another subject (I have the impression this is the main difference between Brazil and USA, you seem to have more flexible choosing your subjects?).

First time it was a really impulsive act, and I missed I had talked more openly about it to someone who could support me and insisted that I tried a bit harder to adjust to university. I only talked about it to my parents and they wanted to be nice and supportive and only told me that if I wanted to quit, I should quit... they overestimated my ability to make decisions. The second time, it took me a little longer to decide to quit. Sometimes I have a little regret over it, but I "own" much more decision because I know it wasn't purely impulsiveness.

One of things that were worse for me deciding what to do is that I had a great anxiety about the future. I'm not free from it now, but I think trying to be a bit more relaxed was good to me. Of course you should worry about finding a work and everything, but this formation years are a thing on their own and you should be able to detach yourself from the future and enjoy this time.

I don't have a ready advice. I know quitting can be good or not in different contexts. If you have only one year to go, I would recommend make a bit of an effort... specially because you don't seem to have a direct path to go if you quit.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:47 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Does that mean you're in the third year of a four-year program? If so, I'd advise you definitely *not* to drop out. Once you drop out, it's really hard to get things together to go back and finish. Since you're already well along, you should stick it out to the end.

But, while you're doing that, you should certainly try to find relevant work that you can slide into once you graduate. Internships, part-time jobs, free-lance work -- experience with any of those things will make it much easier after you finish (and will keep you from going crazy in the mean time).

and no, i'm attending a community college at the moment, a third of my time here has been spent just doing general ed :roll: well... at least i'm getting the general ed taken care of here and not at a more expensive 4 year. and also since i'm on SSI i can get some enrollment fees waived, so that's nice.

Then you should definitely stay and complete the AA (two-year degree), and after that go work or travel or whatever.

There's no question that you're one of the smart people here -- I taught college for years and had you identified as such right away because of your very high verbal fluency. Perhaps your future will be working for a company that specializes in ironic advertising. :D

There Are Four Lights!

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 3:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No. Not false.

You got yourself in a real tizzy. You don’t have a good perspective on yourself, I find.

Perhaps you’re too much of a perfectionist. You’re a man of many talents. I ain’t kidding.

You’re a linguist and an artist.

Sorry for being a pain in the butt. But I feel what I feel strongly.

Totally this. I am chiming in.

Unless your photos are of someone else you are an extremely good looking person and an artist to the core! You write with humour, passion and flair and I love your dress sense.

And from someone much older than you who didn't have a good perspective on myself either when I was your age.... Please, please be kind to yourself. One day you will hopefully get how cool you are and then you will kick yourself for ever thinking otherwise.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:13 pm

I don't really know you much, but have to ask, is a BA in linguistics worth anything at all? If yes, what? I mean what kind of job do you do with that degree, and how many jobs are there in that field?

If it's a degree that ONLY qualifies you to go on to graduate studies, then it isn't really a degree at all - it's prep school for graduate studies. So electing that major means committing yourself to the full 8-10 years.

You might want to change majors to something where you can actually be employed right after the BA. Some examples are accounting, police science, elementary education, engineering, computer science, nursing.

There are worse things than dropping out of college, but you seem to have vague ideas of how you would live. In that case, and if you feel anxiety about the unknown, I suggest you stay in school but also do some exploration of majors, career fields, and the like, until you select something that can give you reasonable hopes of supporting yourself.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:20 pm

Probably not a good idea to drop out, but not the worst idea in the world either.
I think that teaching English in another country could work well for you. You ARE smart. It shows in your writing. And you also sound coherent when you write. And if you're interested in linguistics, being in a foreign country is probably a good way to gain first hand experience. I know one person who has been teaching all over the world longer than I've been alive. I know of another person who did for quite a while, now he's a college polisci teacher. It is possible, and in the parts of the world that hire people to do that job it's often just ridiculously cheap to live.
My only experience outside the US was India, chai and breakfast cost less than a quarter pretty much anywhere in the country. Rooms could be found for about five dollars a day (probably less). I'm sure that it's comparable elsewhere.
It's worth looking into, anyway.
I'm going to stop writing now before I really start trailing off.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:38 pm

I would also say from experience that abandoning everything to go wandering in your early twenties can be good. You're still young enough to do it then. And there's no telling what you might find or where you might end up.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 5:35 pm

Tie teaching speech therapy in with art therapy. Perfect combination.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 4:00 pm

so last night part of my permanent retainer broke off, taking a chunk of tooth with it and since insurance doesn't cover retainers, it's gonna cost me almost $500 dollars out of pocket to have it fixed and replaced. just found out textbooks for the semester will not be much less...and i'm only taking two classes.

THIS IS WHY I NEED MORE WORK.

WHY CAN'T I CATCH A DAMN BREAK.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 2:37 am

That Effin sucks, man!

At my college where I work, professors sometimes put textbooks on “reserve” so students can use them for a few hours for free to study.

Go to the circulation desk to see if they do that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 3:10 am

please finish it and get it over with, you'll be thankful you got it out of the way with your renumerative shingle. choose the degree that you have the most existing credits for. this degree is what gets you through many businesses' "college filter" which blocks non-college grads from almost all the plum jobs.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

I vote finish what you started.

Even a degree in basket weaving has value.

How so? A degree is the new high school diploma. It shows you can learn & stick with something until you finish it. Employment options are limited without one, no matter what its in. Some jobs (like law enforcement for example) never used to require a degree, but now to narrow down candidates one is required in one of a handful of different subjects.

Also, as my brother and his girlfriend have learned, some corporate employers promote and pay based on credentials. Even though either of them could do the jobs without a degree, they can’t get promoted or paid more without one.. so, since her employer is paying for it, she’s studying part time to do one now.

Then there are grad school options, too.

Very few people I know actually work on the field they studied, but everyone’s education comes in handy for something at work or in life.

As others have mentioned, it becomes increasingly difficult to go back to school and be a poor student again once you’re working full time and especially once you have bills to pay. Waaaay better to at least follow through and finish this stage up first, IMO.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 11:06 pm

okay. i will continue to miserably and lonesomely trudge through 2-10 years of school.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.