08 Oct 2018, 5:19 pm

I wish you would have wrote me.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2018, 5:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish you would have wrote me.

I thought of you. But I didn't want to wreck - oh, it was Canadian Thanksgiving. I had it in mind not to barge in on everybody's festivities. But your Tksgiving is next month?

Sorry. I thought was doing a good thing.

Anyway, what do you think of this thread? Could it become a permanent concern, providing a place ... oh that's so old.

We warn people we'll call the police. that's standard, everywhere. But that's why people don't call for help. The thing is, I was *not* making a suicide call. I told her that. So I thought I was clear and started talking. I worked as a volunteer and they taught me the same - what to do if somebody threatens suicide. But could we explore creating a space where people could tell the truth without penalty?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:41 pm

I don’t think they should have called the police.

I wondering if this was some kind of mandatory reporting thing.

Have you gone to the model train place? How’s your friend doing?

I don’t think therapists are bad people. They should have respected that you didn’t want to commit suicide, and that you needed someone to talk to.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:45 pm

I hope you know you have friends here.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2018, 5:49 pm

Yes I know that and I appreciate that but I was trying not to bring everybody down with me. I could wear out my welcome. See - my first post in this thread - see how light and witty I tried to be? And that, too, was true.
c

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2018, 5:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t think they should have called the police.

I wondering if this was some kind of mandatory reporting thing.

Have you gone to the model train place? How’s your friend doing?

I don’t think therapists are bad people. They should have respected that you didn’t want to commit suicide, and that you needed someone to talk to.

By the law, they are to call the police if they believe they are talking to a possible suicide.
Mandatory reporting - no, I don't have anybody to respond to. But if I had allowed admission to Psychiatric, I would.
What model train place?
My friend - choose from among thousands, which one?
:heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:03 pm

I get what you mean...you don’t want to impose yourself on others.

My opinion is that it’s good to be able to talk about things and be safe. You are safe in the Haven. We’re not professionals, but I feel we can play a good role. We can help each other.

There are many people here who have experience with depression and despair.

And remember you’re a very smart and wise lady.

I sent you the links to a couple of model train places in your city.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 08 Oct 2018, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 6:13 pm

Hugs Claradoon

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

So the hospital people thought you called a suicide hotline, had the police over and got an ambulance ride so you could get some Gravol?? Silly. I would have thought the same as you, that you could talk freely to someone on the hotline. Long ago, when I still lived in Toronto I called one. I hung up before they got any info from me as it quickly seemed like a waste of time. (It was before call display on phones so they didn’t track me and send police.) I’m glad you’re home again and with your cat. You can talk to her. I miss my mother too although I never told her any of my serious troubles.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2018, 11:50 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
So the hospital people thought you called a suicide hotline, had the police over and got an ambulance ride so you could get some Gravol?? Silly. I would have thought the same as you, that you could talk freely to someone on the hotline. Long ago, when I still lived in Toronto I called one. I hung up before they got any info from me as it quickly seemed like a waste of time. (It was before call display on phones so they didn’t track me and send police.) I’m glad you’re home again and with your cat. You can talk to her. I miss my mother too although I never told her any of my serious troubles.

She asked for my address and I thought she was asking for permission to send the police. She wasn't asking permission.

There are lonely people whose only social life is the Emergency Ward. Once society labels you white trash, it's hard to pick yourself up in the morning, to go out at all. And I had a childhood where I believed I had no right to exist, that I was God's mistake. I pitied the neighbours for having to live near me. But we all have to carry the burden of God's mistakes and that includes me. I was 5yo when I first thought that. And I am not the only one, is what I'm trying to say here.

The right to terrorize and abuse children and the adults they grow into is a "normal" part of life. There is so much permitted hatred everywhere. Yesterday yet another bunch of people covered the statue of John A. (founding father of Canada) *again* with paint. There's a statue of Queen Victoria in front of the Music Academy of McGill U that gets the same treatment. We shrug and fix it. And then there's swastikas on temples. Recently, shooters at immigrants' places of worship. But then I have to go out and offer myself as victim to the angry people of the world.

Don't tell. Don't ever tell what we did to you. And that's what's wrong now - I told that young woman.

Can we make the Haven a safe place to talk? Just to speak, to stop carrying the secrets, to let them out - could that be a good thing to try to make?

And don't think we're alone here. :skull:

@ Alex: is there really security here? I have assumed that anything on-line is "as private as a post card." I know you have worked very hard to give us maximum security, but in today's world, are there any secrets and safety on-line?

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 12:25 am

well the whole purpose of those hot lines is defeated they way they function. as to making a safe place here, what else can we do for ourselves?
now, to protect other people from oneself. this is the thing i've been doing for years. untill i had a massive breakdown and the real me had leaked out of shields. and most of my more constant and long-standing peers appriciated it. they'd say hey, we like u this way. they'd be with me when i was rambling for hours. yes, some people want it casual. i warn about my state, i comply with decisions people make. no imposing. no inflicting. but being myself with people, who had consented for it, is what is being fixing me. and i totally consent to do the same for anybody here with the same problem. dont try to be cheery when u feel like calling them line. let us listen (read) and help u. we all need that. however full metal a (person) we are used to consider ourselves. the hardest, highest and sole-standing trees fall first in the storm.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 9:47 am

So promise me, Claradoon, that you will come here when you feel bad. You see all the support pouring.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
So promise me, Claradoon, that you will come here when you feel bad. You see all the support pouring.

Second try - my first response disappeared. In any case, I'll try. Thanks.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:26 pm

Claradoon wrote:
But the too-young volunteer listener would have wanted to kill herself
if her situation was like mine.
It was quite unprofessional for her to say that. It could be construed as encouraging suicide.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 7:39 pm

No worries, Claradoon. You're a good egg :D

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2018, 1:58 am

You're not going to believe this!
A man from the Suicide Line phoned to ask if I am satisfied with their service!
That's a government line, btw.
He wanted to ask (he said to a living me on the phone) whether I had committed suicide.
Also what was my opinion of the Listener.
I terminated the call.