I really am a cripple, you know.

Page 1 of 22 [ 345 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2018, 1:49 pm

Until you need it yourself!

I'm not American but that's certainly the general Trump / Republican attitude. Which isolates and marginalized those members of society who can't make it on their own and depend on welfare. Never mind the motto on your Statue of Liberty.

Of course there will always be those few who abuse the system. But why should the genuine cases suffer?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Last edited by envirozentinel on 29 Oct 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Typo

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2018, 2:41 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

I'm not American but that's certainly the general Trump / Republican attitude. Which isolates and marginalized those members of society who can't make it on their own and depend on welfare. Never mind the motto on your Statue of Liberty.

Of course there will always be those few who abuse the system. But why should the genuine cases suffer?

The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France. I think that says it all.

From what I've seen of Assps posts, his welfare doesn't help him. He spends it on unhealthy food and comic books and cell phones.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

m

...Let's see...(1) You don't want me to have a cell phone ~ In modern times, you have to have one to be noticed, but you want mine taken away from me, I suppose :evil: ~ I keep buying the absolute cheapest smartphone model there is, the " Model T " one if it's there, but according to you I'm an international Eurotrash coke dealer in my 'Benz, yo :twisted: with the latest cellie. (2) Apparently there's a Tofu King(C) just around the corner that I refuse to go to....Etc.

rspock wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

From what I've seen of Assps posts, his welfare doesn't help him. He spends it on unhealthy food and comic books and cell phones.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2018, 12:01 am

Where do you go to charge your phone safely by the way? It takes some hours usually?

my blog:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2018, 3:30 am

> You are opposed to welfare?

Let's think back in time on that one for a moment. My grandfather lost both thumbs in an industrial accident. No welfare, no income at all for the parents and 3 teen kids. All 3 kids skipped high school and took jobs. Five lives stopped cold.

I approve of welfare and I have a right to because I pay taxes.

What would you do if the world fell out from under you? My grandfather had a family to sacrifice their lives for him. But I'd rather people not have to.

Do you know poverty? Do you speak from experience?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2018, 3:56 am

I think mrspock is being unfair to the OP.

I went through some really tough times myself. Some people seem to be opposed to all forms of welfare when a good portion of our members wouldn't survive, or have survived in the past, were it not for some form of welfare or social support.

I am reminded of a quote I once read "never look down on anyone unless you're picking them up."

my blog:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 4:34 am

Perhaps what mr spock is opposed to is what he considers to be reckless spending of welfare money on nonessential items and expensive harmful junk food etc.

Which in turn leads to a repetitive cycle of hardship, victimization and lots of hospitalization.

It might also be noted that there are dozens of threads just like this one going back many years with different people saying the same kinds of things over and over and the op giving the same kinds of replies over and over.

Autistics thrive on repetition.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

ASS-P wrote:
m

...Let's see...(1) You don't want me to have a cell phone ~ In modern times, you have to have one to be noticed, but you want mine taken away from me, I suppose :evil: ~ I keep buying the absolute cheapest smartphone model there is, the " Model T " one if it's there, but according to you I'm an international Eurotrash coke dealer in my 'Benz, yo :twisted: with the latest cellie. (2) Apparently there's a Tofu King(C) just around the corner that I refuse to go to....Etc.

rspock wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Whole lotta crazy here...

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2018, 4:37 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

I went through some really tough times myself. Some people seem to be opposed to all forms of welfare when a good portion of our members wouldn't survive, or have survived in the past, were it not for some form of welfare or social support.

I am reminded of a quote I once read "never look down on anyone unless you're picking them up."

I feel no obligation to help anyone who isn't family or friend. Welfare IMO amounts to a government agent putting a gun to your head and forcing you to hand over part of what you have legally and lawfully earned and give it to someone you don't know and who shouldn't be your problem. And no, I'm not wealthy by any means.

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

Claradoon wrote:
> You are opposed to welfare?

Let's think back in time on that one for a moment. My grandfather lost both thumbs in an industrial accident. No welfare, no income at all for the parents and 3 teen kids. All 3 kids skipped high school and took jobs. Five lives stopped cold.

I approve of welfare and I have a right to because I pay taxes.

What would you do if the world fell out from under you? My grandfather had a family to sacrifice their lives for him. But I'd rather people not have to.

Do you know poverty? Do you speak from experience?

S*hit happens. I shouldn't have to pay for it if I'm not the one causing it.

I also oppose international welfare, ie countries like the US giving stuff to nations like Ethiopia.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

ASS-P did work at one time; that's why he has SSDI, rather than SSI. He put his tax dollars into the "system" at one time.

I wish he would get a place that doesn't serve mostly baloney sandwiches, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That serves really decent food. I couldn't believe this place had the nerve to give this guy that prison crap!

mrspock
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2018, 5:56 pm

Hes not owed free food so he can eat balloney or get nothing. Also a can of green beans costs 70 cents but that kind of food probably isnt tasty enough for him.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

mrspock wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

I feel no obligation to help anyone who isn't family or friend. Welfare IMO amounts to a government agent putting a gun to your head and forcing you to hand over part of what you have legally and lawfully earned and give it to someone you don't know and who shouldn't be your problem. And no, I'm not wealthy by any means.

You don't think the government would that money back in your pocket, do you?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
ASS-P did work at one time; that's why he has SSDI, rather than SSI. He put his tax dollars into the "system" at one time.

I wish he would get a place that doesn't serve mostly baloney sandwiches, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That serves really decent food. I couldn't believe this place had the nerve to give this guy that prison crap!

I'd be interested in knowing the name of that place. It should be investigated, have a news crew sent over there and so on.

mrspock wrote:
Hes not owed free food so he can eat balloney or get nothing. Also a can of green beans costs 70 cents but that kind of food probably isnt tasty enough for him.

Wouldn't even have to spend 70 cents. Food of that sort gets donated in great quantities. The other day I saw group of people who arrived in two vans handing out bags of groceries to people across the street from the library.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2018, 2:14 am

Tons of food that's still good to eat gets wasted (thrown away) by the wealthy (and even the not so wealthy) in the US, so I've heard. If there was a way of getting all this unwanted stuff to those who need it, it would be great.

Even here, I see people's fridges stocked to overflowing with stuff they tend to buy but not use. Some is perishable but not all of it. I try never to waste any food if I can help it. It's part of my philosophy. It doesn't only apply to food but to all goods.

my blog:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 4:43 am

There's lots of gleaners organizations who collect fresh food from restaurants and such and get it to needy people.