I hate Amazon with a passion

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 4:45 am

My favourite store, Debenhams, is going. I feel so devastated. It is the store I always go to buy my clothes and also get good gifts. :cry:

I hate you Amazon. What the f**k do you think you are doing to our high streets? I am never going to shop on Amazon for as long as I live. Sure it has everything in the world that you can buy but I am choosing not to support such a huge company that is destroying other businesses. Think of all the people who are going to lose their jobs. And Amazon people are laughing their heads off.
Let's just hope that these large internet companies get so greedy that they'll descend into debt and then go bust. And then they'll have to bring back high street stores.

I'm so depressed and worried about what's going to become of our high streets. I love shopping, but not online. When shopping for clothes I need to actually be there and touch the clothes before choosing. I like trying clothes on. And I like browsing. I like the fresh air and the walking around. Even elderly people that can't get around so much still prefer going round the shops over learning to do everything sitting behind a screen. Not like these snowflakes of today's young generation that think online shopping is the be all and end all.
I think that after this pandemic they should shut down all these online shopping companies and bring life and joy back to our high streets. Or if that's not an option, make all the online shopping companies really expensive so that people will go back out again.

f**k you Amazon. You f*****g great destroyer of retail. I hope you get your comeuppance some day. :x

Rant over. (I think).

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2020, 4:54 am

Can i present a new quote?

Ok then,thanks.: )

"What we rant,is unresolved within".

It's not what we 'hate',and i dislike the word 'hate',amongst other evoking words,

it's our unresolved 'beef' and 'grievances' within.

So,why is there a 'beef' and 'grievance' in the first place?

Where does that come from?

The lower mind,ego perhaps?

Lack of knowing the non identity of 'self',but aligning with the 'false identity'?

"I hate amazon with a passion"

Is that true passion?

Where does this all 'stem' from,which is not from true self?

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 7:12 am

I feel your pain on this one. I don't do amazon either. I refuse to. I don't really like shopping, but I want to be able to feel something before I buy it, see the actual color or pattern, try it on see if it fits. The amount of stores that have shut down over the last however many years now care of internet shopping...it blows my mind. So many people unemployed now, emptying buildings, empty storefronts...they're all over in my town. It's sad, really. But hey, why support local business when you can click a button :roll:

Sorry your favorite store shut down. I can't appreciate how hard it is to find a place you like, to lose it has to be upsetting to say the least.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 10:13 am

I have a bone to pick with online shopping in general. I mean it's useful and with it one can get stuff that isn't in their area, I sometimes do too, but it also causes actual shops to close down and not take in as many products, so sometimes it's hard to find stuff that I want or need. I can't really order things like clothes online because it's very common for the sizes not to match and I have sensory issues, so I have to check that the clothes are sensory friendly before buying. And let's not even start about shoes.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 6:08 pm

I do see both sides.
For years, ‘shopping’ was my idea of fun; strolling through beautifully decorated department stores, having lunch in their lovely little restaurants, finding charming things to take home.
Things changed slowly.
They started closing their restaurants, big chains took over the local stores and chains, the buses no longer went INTO the mall, you had to scurry across the huge parking lot to even get TO the stores.
‘Shopping ‘ had been an afternoon of relaxation and pleasure, but Costco and Walmart are the rule now.
Online shopping, for a Californian who does not drive, is the only restocking that makes sense.
I miss the beautiful stores, and pleasant, calm afternoons.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 8:02 pm

Debenhams built their business model on charging 25%+ on the same stuff everyone else was selling, in order to give it snob value.

That works when things are good and there are plenty of confident rich people about, it doesn't work in a recession.

Amazon are a terrible company, but Debenhams weren't saints either.

On the plus side Amazon are a great source of purchasing info. Look everything up on their website, then buy from someone else.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 11:21 am

eBay. :roll:

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 11:36 am

Consumer trends show that there is demand for it, as Amazon would not be so successful otherwise.
It looks like many of the traditional methods of shopping are in danger of becoming extinct.

However, personally, i prefer to try clothes on in a shop, rather than order them off the internet, wait for them to come down, try them on before deciding to keep them or to send them back.

I feel that shopping spree's can often be an enjoyable experience, especially if you live near or in a big city, with lots of shops to choose from so i can understand why you are upset.

What i personally do not like about Amazon, is that the company pays most of its workers minimum wage,
despite making massive profits especially at the moment due to corona virus restrictions etc.

If i was in charge of the world, I would enforce equal profit sharing for all members of the workforce using a fair percentage of all profits (before expenditure on unessential upgrades etc). That would mean that when a company is in profit, all the workforce will get a bonus, and when their are no profits, then no profit is shared (so as not to cause the company to go down).

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 1:47 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My favourite store, Debenhams, is going. I feel so devastated. It is the store I always go to buy my clothes and also get good gifts. :cry:

I hate you Amazon. What the f**k do you think you are doing to our high streets? I am never going to shop on Amazon for as long as I live. Sure it has everything in the world that you can buy but I am choosing not to support such a huge company that is destroying other businesses. Think of all the people who are going to lose their jobs. And Amazon people are laughing their heads off.
Let's just hope that these large internet companies get so greedy that they'll descend into debt and then go bust. And then they'll have to bring back high street stores.

I'm so depressed and worried about what's going to become of our high streets. I love shopping, but not online. When shopping for clothes I need to actually be there and touch the clothes before choosing. I like trying clothes on. And I like browsing. I like the fresh air and the walking around. Even elderly people that can't get around so much still prefer going round the shops over learning to do everything sitting behind a screen. Not like these snowflakes of today's young generation that think online shopping is the be all and end all.
I think that after this pandemic they should shut down all these online shopping companies and bring life and joy back to our high streets. Or if that's not an option, make all the online shopping companies really expensive so that people will go back out again.

f**k you Amazon. You f*****g great destroyer of retail. I hope you get your comeuppance some day. :x

Rant over. (I think).

I feel you so much on this one. I also dislike the online media streaming too.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 2:11 pm

We cannot ‘go’ shopping.
We have a deadly disease, worldwide.
We have to avoid crowds, and potential contact and/or air exchange with others.
Going in and out of a grocery store, sanitized cart or basket, observing the 6 feet rule, out of the store in under 30 minutes is necessary.
I understand the bitterness, believe me; shopping is my most human contact besides my job; I am SO lonely and isolated,
BUT
Any of us can be carrying it, incubating it, have a full-blown case, yet be asymptomatic...
And so can anyone else in the store, the parking lot, the bus; we are reaching survival stage.
Los Angeles city government stated that they have
Six
Thousand
New cases.
They stated that they literally are running out of beds for Covid patients.
Amazon and eBay are doing landslide business because it is the only safe way to restock our homes.

Last edited by Sylkat on 03 Dec 2020, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 4:17 pm

I feel sad that there's going to be no Debenhams to go back to after the stupid pandemic, plus all the other stores that are going. I wish someone would buy Debenhams or it could be saved some other way. I would buy it if I were really rich. But I'm not. I'm poor.

I love high street shops. It gives a sense of community. I wish Amazon and all the other online businesses like that didn't exist and that instead each retail business had their own website where you can order from and then the profit will still go to the business and will keep all the retail stores in business whilst in the pandemic.
And all the stores that were open during lockdown were still very busy with customers, so it doesn't look like all of those people were sitting in front of their computers doing their shopping.

I'm just hoping that retail business will bounce back after the pandemic. I have some optimism with this because remember when videos first came out and everyone thought it would be the end of movie theatres? Movie theatres (cinemas) still exist to this day and many people enjoy seeing a movie even though we now have the luxury of Netflix (another internet thing I hate). It's because people are social creatures and no matter how much access you have to such luxurious websites that does everything for you, you cannot beat going out and physically doing these things with your friends. (Before/after pandemic).

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 5:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I feel sad that there's going to be no Debenhams to go back to after the stupid pandemic, plus all the other stores that are going. I wish someone would buy Debenhams or it could be saved some other way. I would buy it if I were really rich. But I'm not. I'm poor.

I love high street shops. It gives a sense of community. I wish Amazon and all the other online businesses like that didn't exist and that instead each retail business had their own website where you can order from and then the profit will still go to the business and will keep all the retail stores in business whilst in the pandemic.
And all the stores that were open during lockdown were still very busy with customers, so it doesn't look like all of those people were sitting in front of their computers doing their shopping.

I'm just hoping that retail business will bounce back after the pandemic. I have some optimism with this because remember when videos first came out and everyone thought it would be the end of movie theatres? Movie theatres (cinemas) still exist to this day and many people enjoy seeing a movie even though we now have the luxury of Netflix (another internet thing I hate). It's because people are social creatures and no matter how much access you have to such luxurious websites that does everything for you, you cannot beat going out and physically doing these things with your friends. (Before/after pandemic).

I might very well trade the internet to go back to live in an earlier time where physical things were actually thriving. Older forms of tech like VHS tapes and films were pretty dope too. :D

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2020, 6:12 pm

I LIKED VHS tapes!had a TON of them! :D

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 1:56 am

Debenhams was one of my favourite shops too. It wasn't that fancy or expensive in its later years. They had a Dorothy Perkins concession at the same prices as their stand alone stores. They did have fancier brands, buy they also had good sales and you could get quality stuff cheaper than full priced trash that the likes of New Look sell.

I liked the layout. It was easy to navigate. It was roomy, uncluttered, not too busy, not too noisy. I'll miss it.

To be fair, Amazon are not really their competitors. Boohoo and ASOS etc. are the big online clothing retailers these days. I wouldn't touch Amazon clothes with a ten foot barge pole. Looks like it would fall apart after 2 washes

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 2:27 am

I deeply miss locally-owned hobby shops and book stores.
:(
The going, and be-ing, and visiting, was a major part of the shopping experience.

I was in and out of retail from 1980s till 2005 when my health finally really collapsed.

:idea: That quoted below makes a good point.
And is especially relevant for people like me who have health problems, and often more than one, which make us high risk.

:arrow: What I found to be a very interesting aspect of human psychology and behavior was our neighbors whining about Amazon and Walmart destroying locally owned stores at the very same time our neighbors stopped giving their money to our store and began giving their money to Amazon and Walmart.
"Amazon and Walmart" didn't kill our store, our very neighbors starved us to death because our neighbors wanted to buy more stuff cheaper than we could afford to sell it and still pay the rent and buy the groceries.

And it didn't help that some hobby wholesalers got in to mail order and sold directly to internet customers for less than the wholesale prices we were paying for the same item.

Sylkat wrote:
We cannot ‘go’ shopping.
We have a deadly disease, worldwide.
We have to avoid crowds, and potential contact and/or air exchange with others.
Going in and out of a grocery store, sanitized cart or basket, observing the 6 feet rule, out of the store in under 30 minutes is necessary.
I understand the bitterness, believe me; shopping is my most human contact besides my job; I am SO lonely and isolated,
BUT
Any of us can be carrying it, incubating it, have a full-blown case, yet be asymptomatic...
And so can anyone else in the store, the parking lot, the bus; we are reaching survival stage.
Los Angeles city government stated that they have
Six
Thousand
New cases.
They stated that they literally are running out of beds for Covid patients.
Amazon and eBay are doing landslide business because it is the only safe way to restock our homes.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2020, 12:27 am

These trends are very upsetting.

Some of my favorite places have gone out of business as well.

I've heard Amazon treats their employees pretty horrible, and the high turnover rate seems to suggest this as well.

(But if anyone works for Amazon and loves it, please do let me know).