Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:38 am

When I'm depressed I don't want to drag anyone else down with me. I'm glad to see other people happy. Even when I feel like giving up on everything I am more than happy to see other people enjoying life.

Just a thought I had running through my head. I think happy people sometimes are scared of sad people. They're scared of being happy in front of them.

I've noticed on here that when people post threads about feeling suicidal or extremely sad thoughts/feelings, the forum's mood seems to change, and sometimes the whole place slows down.

Maybe I'm wrong but my analysis of it is that people become overcautious when faced with someone unhappy. They're embarrassed to keep enjoying themselves. My perception may be wrong but if it isn't my thoughts are you've got to lighten up to get along in this world. Keep having fun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 6:25 am

That’s sweet, my dear sir.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

Yes, I think you're right.

When i was depressed what I really needed was company, but people were not comfortable being around me. They didn't know how to be.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 6:58 am

I think it's good that you keep a sense of perspective, even when you're depressed. As we all know, depression can truly mangle one's thought processes. Good on yer.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:51 am

As someone with a lifetime of depression, I've evolved a philosophy of living. It isn't enough to get over your negative thought-spirals. You actually have to develop resilience. You have to honor your mental health needs, you have to work at doing the things you love and enjoy (or they won't happen).

We have an obligation to be happy. Gifted with life, we have an obligation to make the most of it - life should never be taken for granted.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 1:44 pm

Depression is a diagnosis, not an emotion

The opposite of happy is sad

The opposite of depressed is manic

Sometimes I feel like, precious lil "people" that act so uppity and happy, truly believe that, happiness is superior to all other emotion

Happiness is more functional than sadness, but emotions other than happy are not tabboo

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 1:52 pm

I agree that most people are uncomfortable around strong emotions of any kind especially feeling sad or expressing feelings of desperation.

Here on the forum, I think people can be more somber because that is appropriate and on the narrow bandwidth of electronic communication, someone would not want to be happy or make a joke in case that was the "straw" that plunged the depressed person over the ledge.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:52 pm

Faking happiness might be something that people feel compelled to do to get along in life, but if so it's not real. I can't imagine many people faking sadness. If I come across somebody who's down then at least I know they're being genuine.

I remember one of my mother's close friends was always laughing and joking, no matter what the situation, but I could tell she was overflowing with emotional pain, she looked like she could burst into floods of tears at any moment but it would just come out as hysterical laughter, the jolly larger than life "I'm never miserable me" was all an act to disguise how she really felt deep down.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 7:35 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Yes, I think you're right.

When i was depressed what I really needed was company, but people were not comfortable being around me. They didn't know how to be.

That's the situation I'm in now. I put a message on Facebook saying I needed company, am feeling unhappy and want to do something with someone. Nobody answered. I deactivated my account.

I don't know, I think people are just not comfortable with depressed people for some reason.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

I believe, sometimes, that depressed people are angry people. People are afraid that depressed people will lash out at them.

I've run into a couple of angry depressed people here.

Fifasy is a cool guy, though. And many depressed people are really cool.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe, sometimes, that depressed people are angry people. People are afraid that depressed people will lash out at them.

I've run into a couple of angry depressed people here.

Fifasy is a cool guy, though. And many depressed people are really cool.

Yeah, depressed people can be angry, I suppose. I wish more people were like you, with an enquiring mind, and confident enough to express themselves.

I spent the day today walking on the beach and listening to Anthony and Cleopatra and Romeo & Juliet on my earphones while getting drunk and taking painkillers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:10 pm

I'll say one thing----you have plenty of culture in you.

There's lots of beauty in Culture......I don't want you to lose the opportunity to experience it by you giving up.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:49 pm

When I am clinically depressed or sad, sometimes happy people get on my nerves

That indulgent lil smile, . Like they are so innocent. What the flying f**k is "are you ok?"

Happy people are some of the most entitled lil dipshits I have ever interacted with

Sometimes sad people get on my nerves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:16 pm

I'm not a really "smiley" sort of guy, actually.

My most common smile is sort of a wry smile.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:20 pm

You do not know that happy people are scared of sad people, because you are not telepathic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

Nope....I'm certainly not telepathic.

I can be on the sad side pretty frequently.