Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:45 pm

I read that you can get surgery for fecal incontinence. There are a couple different types of surgeries depending on what you need. They sound scary and painful. Also people gossip about how our hospital kills people. By accident I hope. But I would rather get it done in the city if I could, in a better hospital. I would have to get help with this. Might be in a group home by then. I might want surgery in the future if my condition gets worse. Which it most likely will as I age. But the thought of such a surgery scares me a lot. And how would I s**t after it?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:53 pm

Question. Will they knock you out to do an operation? If so, there's nothing to worry about. I had to have four teeth removed and I was so nurvous and sceared. Yet I hardly even felt the needle go into my arm and I woke up. Job done!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:55 pm

What have they said is the cause of your fecal incontinence?

My mother had it for a while because of her Crohn's colitis (yes, there is such a thing).

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:05 pm

I haven’t got it checked out yet. I think it might be nerve damage from breathing wrong for five years. My muscles aren’t strong enough to hold it in. But that doesn’t make any sense to me. But anyway it started after breathing wrong for so long. It might not be nerve damage, it could be something else. I don’t feel like dealing with it yet. But I will when this problem gets worse. And it will. If the surgery could cure me I would be very pleased. It’s just the recovery part that scares me. I’m scared it will be painful and I don’t know how I’d go to the bathroom afterwards. It didn’t say anything about it in the articles I’ve read.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:08 pm

Consult with a doctor. First, you go to a GP.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:13 pm

Look into Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation to avoid surgery. It's done with physiotherapists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:18 pm

Anything to avoid surgery....if it can be done without surgery, do it!

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:26 pm

Um, yeah. It would have to get pretty bad to need surgery. I was talking about this with my doctor and he didn’t recommend surgery. I dont know, maybe when I’m old and this problem gets worse. I need to learn more about it. I would probably need to take pain medication. Which makes you constipated. So then I would need to take a laxative. The thought really scares me. I don’t know what’s worse, constantly shitting yourself or going through rectal surgery.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:30 pm

To be honest, I would say you should seek to stop the incontinence.

Put yourself on a "waiting list" for treatment.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Look into Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation to avoid surgery. It's done with physiotherapists.

Sounds like a wonderful thing but I doubt I could afford it being on disability.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:42 pm

Canada is a place that has free health care.

Look it up. Or ask a GP. Maybe it's free under the health service. Maybe put yourself on a waiting list for it---after consulting with a GP?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:45 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful thing but I doubt I could afford it being on disability.

Check around. Some physio clinics offer reduced rates for seniors and people on disability. You might also find there is an Incontinence Education program through your local hospital (check with your GP or Gastro).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

This is a case, Sarah, where you really should advocate for yourself.

This is something you want to get rid of.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:01 pm

Here's a website you could check out:

https://www.womenshealthcpa.com

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 7:05 pm

Thanks Kraftie