Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 7:25 am

That's wonderful

Even if it takes a lot of courage, it is always better to try to stay optimistic. It keeps your mind open to wonderful things, and maybe even causes them to happen.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:22 am

Those tattoos probably won’t be noticeable as she grows up.

Evelyn will be a hit in the medical journals, for sure.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 12:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
You just made me cry, too. :heart: Thank you for the beautiful and incredible update!

(Do tell though ... are these medical tattoos permanent? I've never heard of that before!)

Hugs and kisses to Baby Evelyn!

Yes, they're permanent.. they're tattoos. They're just little dots about the size you might see from poking a pen or pencil straight down onto a piece of paper. Their purpose is to show the radiation tech exactly where to aim the radiation so it's in the same spot for each treatment. Not sure if they do this for every radiation patient or not - maybe only when it's critical they hit the exact same spot every time.

What a badge of honour in this case!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 12:48 pm

Quote:
“Scars are proof that you struggled, fought, and survived.”
― Avijeet Das

While not scars per se, I think the sentiment still applies.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 5:01 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Quote:
“Scars are proof that you struggled, fought, and survived.”
― Avijeet Das

While not scars per se, I think the sentiment still applies.

Well, she will have surgical scars from the tumour removal & where they made an incision on one shoulder to take a piece of muscle to fill the tumour void with. Things were cleaned up by a plastic surgeon but there will still be scars.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:03 am

Since I received a pm about this asking for an update:

Her cancer is still in complete remission & she’s celebrated her 2nd bday already. For the most part she’s basically doing normal toddler things and her mom has decided not to go back to work for the time being just to focus on raising her best - she’ll have “chemo brain,” for ~5 years so requires slightly modified teaching techniques to ensure her memory pics up on things like word associations w/ pictures, letters, and phrases etc. She’s doing fine. 8)

My parents got to meet her when they were down in Arizona a few months or so ago. My cousin is planning a trip back up to Canada with her sometime soon I think - my aunt told me about it a couple months ago before she left to be her snowbird self in Palm Sprigs for the Winter. She might be coming up here sometime in the next couple months I think - and that’s when I’ll get to meet her. :)

For now we continue to watch her grow via Facebook posts, pics, vids, and updates.

So, yeah, all is well & she is the 2nd baby to survive this particular rare cancer of infancy and her treatment has helped to establish a protocol that will be used to treat others.. which, un/fortunately is actually happening now. I read a post from my cousin saying there’s another baby undergoing treatment for this now and of course they are all hopeful for that little one.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 3:02 pm

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm

Very happy for your little niece!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.