Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 4:50 pm

Her name is Evelyn Grace <last name omitted>. She's ~13 months old, my first cousin Stephanie & her husband Nick's only child. She's in the midst of a fight for her life, and so, if you're the praying or spiritual type at all, your thoughts & intentions are much appreciated.

~3 months ago mom & dad noticed a lump on her spine just below her neck. It grew rapidly. They sought medical attention. Diagnosis: A childhood cancer so rare that she's only the 32nd baby in North America to be diagnosed with it - and when she survives, she will be the 2nd to beat it. The last few months have been a battery of chemo drugs & blood products intended to shrink the tumour and keep her alive. Following the daily Facebook posts has been difficult enough - I can only imagine what she and her parents are going through.

The tumour has shrunk better than expected. She's healthy enough for the next step: Surgery. But the tendrils on the tumour have not receded enough from her spine.. so, the plan now is that when they surgically remove the tumour on Tuesday, they're also going to remove portions of her spine that it's touching & replace them with some sort of bone-like product. (animal tissue? bioengineered synthesized material? no idea - but they can't put solid state metal bone replacements into an infant because she'd outgrow them right quick.) With that comes the surgical risk that she could use the use of one of her arms - it'd just be floppy, basically - BUT, she would still survive, so that would be Okay if it has to happen. After surgery & plastic surgery to make things look pretty, she'll pretty much be sedated for 3-5 days to recover. Then they'll spend the next 6 weeks living at Ronald McDonald House while she undergoes some sort of photon radiation beamed directly at her spine every day, and is given some other cancer drug every 21 days, etc.

My thoughts have been on her for a while now, especially in the evenings when I'm at the beach watching the Sun set and listening to the waves crash. For me, that's my "church," and the place where I connect with "the source." Maybe that place, for you, is an actual Church or Temple, or maybe it's in your bedroom or at your breakfast table - wherever, doesn't matter, if you're the praying or spiritual type, it'd be greatly appreciated by many if baby girl Evelyn Grace had your thoughts, attention, and positive intentions. If you're the directional type, face Phoenix, Arizona, where she's being treated at their Children's Hospital.

Since many of us are visual thinkers, here are a few photos:

My cousin Stephanie & baby girl, Evelyn:

My Aunt, Rhonda, & granddaughter, Evelyn:

And with her dad, Nick:

Thoughts, prayers, good intentions & all those things - please, and Thank You.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 7:35 pm

I will hold her and her family in the Light, as we Quakers say. :heart: :heart: :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 7:46 pm

I sense that Evelyn is a fighter, and will beat this.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:21 pm

Goldfish,
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and especially beautiful little Evelyn Grace (with her name of equal charm). I'm gutted to read this post and to imagine what you're all going through. I do attend church and I will be praying for her recovery to be swift and complete.

Hugs and blessings to all of you. Please keep us updated as this story goes on.

:heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:45 pm

The tumor has already gotten smaller....and it’s operable.

Both very positive prognostic signs.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 11:14 pm

I'm wishing her and the whole family the very best.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 3:16 am

wish u all a victory in this fight. it is possible. hold on.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 12:35 pm

Sorry you and your family are dealing with this. Like KK said, the fact that the tumor is a very good sign. Stay strong and positive! All the best!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Jake6238
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2019, 5:50 pm

I'm not religious, but I'll be praying for Evelyn and your family tonight. Sending love.

Probably off challenging as many social norms in as little time as possible

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2019, 6:03 pm

Sending positive intentions dude

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 12:42 am

Surgery is at 08:00 MST (Phoenix) 07:00 PST/10:00 EST tomorrow morning. Feels.. intense - and I'm in Canada. I can only imagine how they're feeling right now.

She spent today having fun going down a slide for the first time:

She'll spend the next few weeks healing before the next step. (radiation, more chemo.)

I know this procedure has some significant risks, but I feel pretty good about it - like it's going to go well and she's going to recover.

edit:

Also, thank you all. It's appreciated. Keep her in your thoughts.. she's far from out of the woods yet.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 12:46 am

I'm sending more prayers but she's got this -- I can feel it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 12:29 pm

A friend of mine had a baby born with significant birth defects, unable to live on her own. She was not expected to live, and doctors recommended discontinuing life supports based on a low expected survival and low quality of life. She's a vibrant four-year-old now ... medical miracles do happen. Never lose faith.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 12:49 pm

Children are very resilient creatures, indeed.

Especially if they don't KNOW they are sick.

I believe she will do well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 2:33 pm

I'm sending some Sweet Pea vibes her way.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 4:00 pm

Lots of hugs, Goldfish. :heart: