Hubby might go into nursing home

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 2:36 pm

My husband got sent off to the hospital once again... :(

I called a social worker about this situation and the emotional impact it was having on me... She thinks he needs to be placed in a nursing home basically for permanent care and wants to try to arrange for it right away! This is downright I don't know how to feel...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 10:08 pm

It sounds scary and lonely. But you can still visit him - and should. People in nursing homes who regularly have a relative visiting fare better. It's as if staff realize they are being watched.

Good wishes for your husband's health.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 8:41 am

I'm so sorry. The guy is so young.

I would put him in a "rehab" facility, rather than a "nursing home" per se.

Young guys go into these places, get their rehab, and sometimes are able to be fully healed.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 9:54 am

I'm sorry to hear that. I will pray for his recovery.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 1:50 pm

They don't want to tell him this but they don't feel comphy letting him go home... They are going to try to get him in a special program that would pay for stuff like in-home care (Medicaid waiver), but they said if he doesn't qualify he's likely going to end up in a rehab or nursing facility... But I read about this program and there's a long waiting list to get in. Theres an alternative program where the state will pay a friend or family member to take care of him, but spouses are ineligable... So much discrimination against being married... SSI cut in total by over 300 dollars.... Severe cut in food stamps... I am ineligable to get payed more money via SSDI because of my childhood disability... I'm having a hard time. And I can't get help from elderly programs either because he's only 57...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 10:28 pm

I went to the hospital and a guy from DHS showed up... The hospital got them involved because it was clear by what my husband was saying he wants to stay at home. I had a couple of meetings, one with DHS guy, me and husband, and later DHS guy talked to me and my mental health caseworker... Anyway the whole idea about getting DHS involved is the State has a lot of pull when it comes to the Medicaid waver program. They said they decided to release my husband possibly tomorrow. I talked about our other issues and they think that first home care needs to be established for him, then I should be employed outside the home to improve our financial situation. They said I need to get ahold of some sort of agency to help employ me because of my background and disabilities.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2019, 11:34 pm

Oh! How do you feel about this?

It sounds good, to me. But what matters is how you and your husband feel.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 8:57 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Oh! How do you feel about this?

It sounds good, to me. But what matters is how you and your husband feel.

Yeah, we agree.