There's very little about WP I like now

Page 2 of 27 [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:26 am

I've been on a number forums of this type over the last 18 years, and am finding that this platform for communicating online is becoming antiquated. I recently checked out one I used to frequent ten years ago to find activity had greatly diminished.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:38 am

Sorry, but the "Most Antiquated Communications Platform" award goes to ...

... Verbal Communications!

Yes, the fine art of speaking face-to-face seems to have diminished in importance when compared to the multitude of digital forms -- blogging, texting, tweeting, vlogging, and so forth. Wherever two or more people occupying the same room are conversing silently through their keyboards, then that is where the natural ability to speak has been set aside in favor of the artificial technology of electronic communications.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:39 am

This "way of communicating" is a heck of a lot better than that found in websites such as Tinder and Twitter.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 10:51 am

Yeah, we've become a society of people walking around staring at our electronic devices. I was staying at a State Park lodge last week, and noticed three youngsters from the same party sitting in rocking chairs in front of the main lodge building. Everyone of them was staring at their smart phones, not saying a word to each other.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 11:40 am

Trying to communicate verbally nowadays is like vlogging a dead horse...

... sorry.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:26 pm

One thing I've noticed is that from time to time people who left the site a few years back have briefly returned, only to comment that the it's no longer the same, not as good as they remember it, and so on. The ironic thing is that this is mainly because people like themselves have left, and that the situation about which they complain wouldn't have existed had such people remained.

Not sure that the above is necessarily a very enlightening comment, and it's not directed at Raleigh who only spent a few weeks away. I've spent two much longer periods away myself, but that was because of issues with one or two other members.

As for not connecting with other members, is that altogether surprising , given the nature of the site? I've only really made more than superficial connections with three or four other members in half a decade, and that doesn't surprise or disappoint me, as I have to accept I have a pretty 'remote' personality, and it's not unreasonable to suppose that the same applies to a fair proportion of the membership.

I don't think anyone should be taken aback by the febrile and sometimes hostile atmosphere which sometimes pervades the PPR forum either.By their very nature, discussions about politics, religion and so forth attract exactly the same sort of response in forums on many other sites, like those of online newspapers for example, and no-one should expect it to be any different on this site.

All IMHO, of course.... :wink:

Last edited by DeepHour on 10 Apr 2019, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 12:27 pm

Looks like I'll stick around here forever, although I'm not really very popular here.

I stay away from the PPR forum. I'm not politically correct enough to go on there without accidentally being called racist. I stick around GAD, Random, the Haven, Social skills, and Members only. But WP has become less active, so when there's nothing new to read or write on WP, the internet's practically boring. Nothing much happens on Facebook these days, and I only go on YouTube if I'm at home.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2019, 12:52 pm

You are more popular than you think, Joe90. We would soon miss you if you stopped posting for a spell.

"Let's all stick together"...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:02 pm

Joe90... you're one of the people I wouldn't want to leave.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2019, 1:17 pm

It's interesting to hear that so many people feel as though WP is running out of steam. I've been feeling that way, but I assumed it was just me. I've been getting into Reddit lately, and that feels kind of like a successor to WP in my mind.

I think this happens because, when you first join, you have lots of things you want to post about. So your activity starts high and then gradually decreases as time goes on, because you run out of things you'd like to discuss. When that happens, you stop making threads for the most part and just comment on other peoples' threads. Since those posts don't always get replied to, and WP has no like/dislike system, you have no way of knowing if they're being acknowledged, and thus the experience feels empty.

I don't feel the need to abandon this site altogether, at least not yet. I still enjoy checking in from time to time. But I understand why other users are less hesitant to move on.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:22 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Aside from the loss of good people and the political sniping, one problem I have with enthusiasm for the site is repetitiveness. The #1 case is newbies wandering in and asking "do I have autism?" Totally legitimate for them to do, but I just can't respond in an original fashion. There are so many online quizzes and articles and even past forum posts that would answer that question, or at least give guidance, my feeling is why should I put any energy into responding?

I also feel burned out by the persistently negative people, the hopeless ones who show no progress or improvement after years of energy poured into them by forum regulars, those who are only here to complain but not to grow or even give back. I feel burned out by people who need a suicide intervention. I think it is legitimate for us to admit that burnout exists and lowers the enjoyment or interest in the site.

I give back when I can. I try to help people and cheer others up if I can, but my situation can’t improve no matter how I or others would want it to. Not everyone is able to be saved and live successful life’s.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:25 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^yep, incels, SJWs and all the rest are as real in real life as online, they're just less likely to be open

and I'd say people like Elliot Rogers and Mintassian (sp?) in Canada were pretty dang real!

envirozentinel wrote:
Just a few of the members I really miss include in no particular order Cornflake, TallyMan, Krabo and Moomingirl. There are many others who made it fun who no longer visit. Luckily we have newcomers who are always at home here.

I wonder why so many online forums on the Web have stagnated?
I'v heard it blamed on social media, but a lot of people here (including me) aren't big fans of it and like forums more, so why would fellow aspies then abandon WP for social media?

I don't get why WP is slowing down. This is one of 3 hang out places I've had. Two of the others are closed down (and very much missed), and although one of them had a spin off site, it is practically dead these days, and the few who are left are on Discord instead. Chatting just isn't the same to me. I like threads with actual topics, it's really the only way I can have anything to say, or I'll just draw blanks. I've been on Discord once, after hi how are you and long time, there wasn't much more to say...

I always thought forums were made for people like us, so where are we? Why are so few of us left? I don't get it.

A bunch found relationships and moved on, once they find a relationship and good job they don’t come here anymore. If I had a gf I’d probably it come here either or very little. Others gave up and left.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 1:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Looks like I'll stick around here forever, although I'm not really very popular here.

I stay away from the PPR forum. I'm not politically correct enough to go on there without accidentally being called racist. I stick around GAD, Random, the Haven, Social skills, and Members only. But WP has become less active, so when there's nothing new to read or write on WP, the internet's practically boring. Nothing much happens on Facebook these days, and I only go on YouTube if I'm at home.

More popular then me, most want me to leave.
I’ve tried gad few times but the amount of posts overwhelms me. How do you manage?
I use to watch a lot of YouTube but it’s been slowing down too.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 2:15 pm

I have only been here for 2 years and I think it's alright. It has it's ups and downs but I think it's good overall. The fact that people leave and comeback and the place changes to me is just a part of life.

Some people are good some are...not so good. I think WP has gotten a little bit more negative than when I first joined but personally I think the world in general has gotten more negative. I think a lot of things are changing and everyone is having a hard time finding their own ways to adopt or cope with it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2019, 2:52 pm

sly279 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

More popular then me, most want me to leave.
I’ve tried gad few times but the amount of posts overwhelms me. How do you manage?
I use to watch a lot of YouTube but it’s been slowing down too.

No, most people don't want you to leave.

I truly wish you would change your sig to something politically neutral however, as it can trigger negative responses from some people. As you know, your sig shows even when you're not posting on PPR or current events.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 3:08 pm

I don't want ANYBODY to leave. We need more people to return, and fewer to depart.

:cry: