Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2019, 2:27 pm

I heard someone say that depression is anger directed inwards. If that's true, then depression and self-hatred go hand in hand... right? I'm not sure. Anyway, I wanna know people's thoughts about and experiences with self-hatred.

I actually find it a bit embarrassing admitting that I hate myself, even though I suspect that many people experience it.
I wish I was able to accept myself the way I am and not feel like everything I do and say is a piece of sh*t

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 2:41 pm

I used to hate myself for a long time. Now i don't because.. İ can't really explain it. I try to think of myself just one of the millions of people who have the same condition. Trying to focus on other people and not myself made wonders for me. I try to be useful and kind to people and to be a positive presence in their lives. It helps me a lot.

Edited bc i also want to say: you don't have a mission to accept yourself and such. But if you think about it logically you're not an evil person who harms others so you're better off than a lot of people who have no conscience and just hurts others bc they feel like it. So you don't have to feel bad about yourself either. It's just unfair to you.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 3:49 pm

I hate myself frequently. It’s a lousy feeling. I think I hold on to too much guilt which isn’t healthy. I’ve gotten rid of it sometimes only for it to come back again. I’ve struggled with guilt ever since I was a young child, and it’s over stuff that I know I shouldn’t feel guilty for, but it doesn’t make it go away. It’s a very unpleasant emotion.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 3:56 pm

I did for many years. Probably most of my life. Now it's more oscillating between neutral and liking myself. That's progress.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:03 pm

I use to hate myself fully but after quite a bit of personal work I can't say that anymore.

I hate things about myself, I hate situations I've been in, I hate experiences I've had, I hate the way I feel at times, and I hate how my existence fits in this world but I don't hate all of me. These things depress me, frustrate me and often put me in the position of wanting to just throw everything away but not being able to because throwing away something that does have value, would make other sad is a waste. I feel trapped a lot, eternally sitting on a fence unable to go either direction to get off.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:22 pm

Sometimes I hate myself, but not as much as I used to. Since I've been in a relationship, I haven't been as self-loathing. I used to hit myself in the head and face, because I got so frustrated with myself and the way my brain's wired. I irrationally thought that by hitting my brain it might morph itself into a neurotypical brain. Not only that, I hitted myself to punish my brain for being wired that way. I didn't want to take it out on innocent objects, animals or people. I just hated myself so much.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:42 pm

For now I hate this intangible glitch that's been inside me for who knows how long.
This glitch... Won't let me go forward or backwards. It calls the damn shots on how capable I'm, what my demeanor is, how well my whole being, what scope of awareness I have, even levels of egocentricity and compassion is determined by this damn glitch. :x

Supposedly, I'm quite better than I was a week ago.
More productive, more direct, better at management -- for now. But also more pissed off and more tired because of it -- because, for now. It seems meaningless.

So meaningless, all I have to do is do nothing but damn 'wait' and it will go away. It usually does. I may even stop hating this glitch and start loving it -- or ignoring it altogether. For me to change, all I have to do is wait for it. No need to work for it, all my work would be a waste of energy and won't be a use right after.

It doesn't color life well. Colorful as it may in the surface -- I may see it that way someday. Right now I see a sickening mess to clean over and over, and it doesn't stay that way even if nothing was touching it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 5:03 pm

Sometimes

Love is not superior to hate

But I hate a lot of precious lil " people"

Maybe :mrgreen: most people :evil: love themselves way too much

Skewed :ninja: reference :skull: point :ninja: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :ninja:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 5:06 pm

Yes. I hate being defective and unlovable, wish I was nt

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2019, 5:10 pm

AprilR wrote:
Trying to focus on other people and not myself made wonders for me. I try to be useful and kind to people and to be a positive presence in their lives. It helps me a lot.

You're right. If I think about it, the times when I don't hate myself are the times when I feel I've made someone else happy, even a little. But it usually only lasts a few seconds. I still have a long way to go.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve struggled with guilt ever since I was a young child, and it’s over stuff that I know I shouldn’t feel guilty for, but it doesn’t make it go away. It’s a very unpleasant emotion.

Same here. I feel like it's one of the most damaging emotions we pick up in childhood; often because we want to regain control when we feel out of control. Have you heard that theory? That a child would rather blame him/herself and take on the guilt than feel helpless and at the mercy of the big, bad world.

Magna wrote:
I did for many years. Probably most of my life. Now it's more oscillating between neutral and liking myself. That's progress.

That is good to hear : )

Alterity wrote:
I feel trapped a lot, eternally sitting on a fence unable to go either direction to get off.

Damn, that's a good metaphor. I also really like the quote in your signature - "Inside the heart of each and every one of us there is a longing to be understood by someone who really cares. When a person is understood, he or she can put up with almost anything in the world." So true.

Joe90 wrote:
I hitted myself to punish my brain for being wired that way. I didn't want to take it out on innocent objects, animals or people.

Me too. I also used to do it in an irrational attempt to make myself disappear.

Edna3362 wrote:
Right now I see a sickening mess to clean over and over, and it doesn't stay that way even if nothing was touching it.

well put :(

shortfatbaldman wrote:
Maybe :mrgreen: most people :evil: love themselves way too much

I think it only seems like that from the outside. That's why they say narcissists have the most fragile egos - they act like they love themselves so much, but they actually don't; they're just terrified of admitting it to themselves.

sly279 wrote:

You're not unlovable! Especially not because of your ASD!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 5:15 pm

The way you feel about yourself, should be functional, in that situation

Relatively correct

Not absolutely correct

If everyone else acts like the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they are just public nuisances.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 5:42 pm

Yes, I have struggled with self loathing for a very long time.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:04 pm

I don't hate myself, and I never have.

Self and I have a mutual understanding that I'm not perfect but I do my best, and I enjoy my own company. I love to be alone and I find considerable solace pursuing my interests or stims. I couldn't do that if I hated myself.

I have a healthy respect for the breadth and scope of my C-PTSD, however catastrophic. I'm able to identify when it creates negative or intrusive thoughts. For example, I used to go through cycles of worrying that other people might hate me for minor reasons. I've learned that this is a reaction formation or trust issue inherent to Complex Trauma Disorder, and I've learned to accommodate that phenomenon in my life.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:17 pm

There are a few aspects I dislike about myself, but for the most part I would say the positives outweigh the negatives.

There are aspects of my life that I dislike/hate though, and I wouldn't say the good outweighs the bad there.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:22 pm

treefiddy wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Love to me is purely romantic. So unlovable means updatable unable to be seen in a romantic sense and loved.
Asd causes all my faults, and those faults make it so no woman will date me or wish to see me in a romantic sense, causing me to spend my who life alone, unloved and void of any human touch. Which has caused me to become more wild like as I spend 95% of my time alone in my room never speaking human words.

If I’d been born normal I’d served time in military, got married, had kids, found good job after service, like all my friends and family did.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:25 pm

sly279 wrote:
treefiddy wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Love to me is purely romantic. So unlovable means updatable unable to be seen in a romantic sense and loved.
Asd causes all my faults, and those faults make it so no woman will date me or wish to see me in a romantic sense, causing me to spend my who life alone, unloved and void of any human touch. Which has caused me to become more wild like as I spend 95% of my time alone in my room never speaking human words.

If I’d been born normal I’d served time in military, got married, had kids, found good job after service, like all my friends and family did.

I don’t think you’re romantically unlovable. You definitely have a romantic side which lots of women love.

Love would be very unromantic if it was just seen through a superficial lens.