Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:21 am

I am feeling nurvous inside. I am going to try to get to work early so I have time to relax before going in. Is this what anxious is? Nurvousness?
We also have a visitor. Umm. A nice elderly lady but I need ro get ready for work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 5:22 am

Have a good day in Beautiful Wales, Sir.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Aug 2019, 5:55 am

"Going in" for what? We all feel anxious sometimes. It's nice to get visitors but politely excuse yourself when you need to leave.

I hope you're feeling a bit better by now and want to wish you all the best.

What kind of work do you do at present?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:14 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
"Going in" for what? We all feel anxious sometimes. It's nice to get visitors but politely excuse yourself when you need to leave.

I hope you're feeling a bit better by now and want to wish you all the best.

What kind of work do you do at present?

Bicycle mechanic. I can't do any full time work any more so minimum wage part time low hours work on temporary contracts... About two or three months a year... Before Christmas and the peak of summer. Have to get some sort of income. Can't claim as I find I am too nurvous these days to sign on, and I have to say I am available for full time work, which I can't cope with... And when I feel like this I can't cope with dealing with forms or people. So most of the year is no income.
As I work four hours a day... Occasionally five... A good part of my wage went into travelling costs. I don't live near a bus stop. I work to keep a car on the road. Without a car we are rather stuck. (Myself and my Mum).

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Aug 2019, 1:20 pm

You could consider similar stuff to what I'm currently doing part time. I do leaflet drops and admin work for an estate agency from time to time when they do promos, and am working several times a week housekeeping for my sister and assisting with her kids as she's pregnant again. I do basically whatever is needed there, including assisting with some of their lessons (two eldest, both girls, getting home schooled).

I am also experienced at house-sitting when people need someone to look after their home and animals while they are away on holiday. I like animals so that works well for me. People prefer that to having to put their dogs at a shelter as they prefer being in their familiar surroundings.

my blog:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 1:55 pm

Both of those jobs I'd find stressful. Brother has lots of kids. They visited yesterday on my day off. Never did get to recharge. Spent the day shut in my bedroom trying to ignore their joyful shouts and chatter...
Done leaflet dropping. Also been a postman once. Was the hardest work I ever did due to long hours.
Leaflet dropping does not work when I feel like this and are going in and out if partial shutdowns. They effect my physical ability to do things like walking. When I am not stressed, and have had days of feeling fine, I can walk miles or cycle miles. But when I feel like this I sometimws find when I drive to a shop, I can't walk from the car to the shop. Is why I went in early so I could recover so I could walk into work and actually habe a chance to work. The type of work I do I can almost do with my eyes closed. Been doing it since I was 17 In a job enviroment, and been repairing bikes since I was about seven. I am only aloowed to assemble bikes and not PDI them anymore as qualifications have come in. Mywork college and I actually were part of indirectly helping the guy when he didn't know anything, who introduced the bicycle qualification system many years ago... He was just out of university and said he could train us up if we joined his course, so my collegue asked him about certain aspects of the work like building wheels and he didn't have a clue! We were doing things daily which he classed were only foe his most advanced courses!
The problem is, as I am so experienced, no one will pay foe me to go on a course, so I am stuck on minimum wage and I do the work while others who have virtually no experience other then being on a crash course sign the work and get a much higher pay for what I do... But these days, most of my work is just assembling bikes and trueing wheels.
Yes, there are areas of the job which I am less experienced in, and most of these are relatively new.

I am looking forward for the temporary position to end now as I find stress gradually builds up and up (Not work related but doing work means I never get the days to relax that I need) and I so much need to do nothing much for a while... Though if others see I am free they come and visit and try to get me to do things for them... So my Mum and I have to spend days driving to relax... We can't seem to relax at home these days.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

What's PDI?

What relaxes you and your Mum? Country drives? Going to gardens or parks?

my blog:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:26 pm

P.D.I.
Pre delivery inspection.
Basically taking the bicycles out of their boxes and assembling them to a roadworthy condition. Where I first worked, we were not allowed to do this on our own without our work being checked until we had a couple of years experience with repairs etc. Today, where I work they put people on a days course (More like half a day) and they are officially PDI trained, but for some work I see, I need to quickly correct mistakes! They have no experience. Is not their fault. However, id someone gets hurt, the company wipes its hands and the employee is sued. The company has covered itself as it provided a days training. It is not really the companies fault either. It is the insurance companies who set the standards. And as I officially have not been on this course (As each time I take a temporary work, I am starting again at the bottom and all my previous experience counts for nothing (I went on the days course a few ears ago).
But this dayscourse is not the official qualification I was mentioning earlier. The official one lasts about a week. So my two years are now done in a week or two at the most. The difference? A certificate, but littlw experience.

We love driving through the countryside places of Wales and visiting remote areas.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:56 pm

Sorry. I write too much and go off at tangents.. :\ I keep doing that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:44 pm

It's spelt "nervous".

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:01 pm

Oh dear... My Mums is often correcting my spelling... I'm not very good at spelling.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm

^
Don't worry about it, are you feeling any better?

You just took this job recently, didn't you? You must be really stressed...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 4:57 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
Don't worry about it, are you feeling any better?

You just took this job recently, didn't you? You must be really stressed...

Yes. The work itself isn't stressful, but a few days before I took the job I couldn't work on a friends bike as I kept shutting down when I started to work on it. I took it because :-
1. I need the money to keep the car on the road.
2. I wanted to help them out as they would be stuck without me. I did say that I didn't know if I would be able to do it or not. To other people I give the outward appearance of someone who is not at all stressed. I remember when I worked on the railway. I once mentioned just briefly (Casually) about feeling depressed. They arranged counselling. Its only looking back that I connect the two events as when I had counselling that time I didn't know why they sent me for it! (Usually only given to train drivers or staff who have witnessed an event). What was strange is when I mentioned I felt depressed, my trains manager said "That's strange. I would have never thought that you would be depressed".
I think that somehow I have the ability to hide things somehow? Maybe I don't look or act depressed? It could be because I mask with a sense of humour.
Mind you, maybe stress or nervousness is the same? Maybe to others I don't look nurvous or stressed? I am only guessing. My Mum knows when I am. Maybe it is because I am more likely to tell her! Same as my youngest brother. He often thinks I am moody. Usually moody because he is always asking me to help him when I am not feeling up to it. Ummm. He is a go getter and needs very little rest. I need a lot of rest...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:20 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Oh dear... My Mums is often correcting my spelling... I'm not very good at spelling.

Sorry, I do have a bad habit of pointing out spelling mistakes, but the rest of your spelling is OK, but you use the word "nervous" a lot in your posts so I thought I'd point it out. Don't feel embarrassed about it though, you should see my math!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 6:23 pm

No worries. :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 8:53 am

Question. Is this due to a build up of stress/nerves. (I think it is).

Today, I am feeling rather tight chested. I feel breathless. The type of feeling one gets if one breathes in but can't breathe out. I usually feel like this when my throat closes up, but I don't think my throat is effected. I need to relax I think.
But this feeling. I am thinking that it has to be related to a build up of stress?