I dont think I can do this anymore

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm

I have come to the haven countless times about problems with this rooming house. I want to get out. I just think its gross that food in the fridge never gets thrown out, even after it expires. It just sits there year after year. And there is a kid that clogs my toilet. And there is a guy that is here all the time that is kind of mean to me. There might be some similar problems to the ones I have in this rooming house when I get my own place but at least Ill have my own space. Sharing my space with a house full of strangers is getting tiresome. My mom is on board with me staying in a group home for a while, until Im ready to get my own place. I will need one of those people that gets paid to assist me, because I can be incompetent. I hope this works out. I worry about things like, what if the toilet clogs or what if my fridge stops working. At a rooming house you just go use the next fridge or toilet. When you have your own place there is only one of each.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 5:10 pm

I just don’t know where to start. How to get the ball rolling. Haven’t had much luck finding affordable housing online.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 5:50 pm

I don't know where you live, or how old you are. But here there are agencies for Independent Living that can help you... you get assigned a case manager who can assist.

I don't know a tremendous amount about this sort of thing. But, I'm sorry you're going through it.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2019, 6:38 pm

I just hope theres a way for me to afford internet. I need internet connection.

I live in Canada.

I actually have a case worker thing but I dont know what questions to ask her yet. Im really scared to move forward with this. But I think I should.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 12:32 am

Things change , they always have and always will,if you can favourably help effect these changes , please know you are prolly on the right path..best wishes.

where ever you go ,there you are

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 7:51 am

Usually worring about an upcoming experience is the worst part of it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 11:17 am

It'll be curious to know if Canada has the same housing problems as the US. To wit, apartments in big cities are expensive, say, $1200/month for one bedroom, with the cities of Seattle, NY and San Francisco being exceptions averaging around $2000/month. Small cities can cost from around $400/month to $900/month for one bedroom. And these are unsubsidized units.

Subsidized units are much cheaper, but the waiting lists are nightmarish. Again, in big cities, they can be 5 to 10 years long while in smaller cities they average around 1-2 years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

I know Vancouver, British Columbia has very high housing costs-----and very high rents-----and a very low vacancy rate.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2019, 4:13 am

Sarahsmith wrote:
I will need one of those people that gets paid to assist me, because I can be incompetent. I hope this works out. I worry about things like, what if the toilet clogs or what if my fridge stops working.

Hopefully, with the right paid assister, you'll cope with the challenges of moving house and starting again somewhere new. Shared living space is very full-on, and you may well feel a lot better in a place of your own. Even if you freak out sometimes, like I do! Having lived in houses of my own (I places I've rented as the sole tenant, not properties that actually belonged to me) since 1997, I can safely say I've never had a toilet clog and I've never had a fridge stop working. Two of those places didn't actually HAVE a fridge, to be fair, but all the others had.

When you have your own bathroom you're more careful what you put down the toilet than some people are in shared accommodation. Toilets are designed and manufactured by people who know how water flows. They only clog when some idiot has wantonly stuck way too much paper in them, or some other item that has no business in there in the first place.

Every fridge will fail eventually, but only once. A railway train is more likely to break down than your fridge.

Being the householder and dealing with bills can be pretty scary, but you develop a routine and then you can feel really proud when you've successfully anticipated the next bill, budgeted for it, and paid it on time. Again, with the right paid assister, you'll do fine. After all you are not planning a moon landing or anything that NTs don't deal with all the time, so your assister will know what needs doing even if you aren't confident that you do (which you probably will).