Plenty of people don't want to work

Some jobs are "fun"

Different people find different things fun

"Beggars can't be choosers"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 8:08 am

work sucks for the most part, unless one is part of the beautiful people class who effortlessly network and land in low-effort no-stress high-paying jobs because they know the right people and can politick.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2019, 8:34 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Yes I don't want to work either.

Plenty of people don't want to work.
True, but I sincerely don't think this is the problem Sarah was actually getting at.
auntblabby wrote:
Work sucks for the most part, unless one is part of the beautiful people class who effortlessly network and land in low-effort no-stress high-paying jobs because they know the right people and can politick.
Again true, but again I don't believe this is quite the problem Sarah was really getting at.

Possibly the title of her thread has misled some people into thinking she's just lazy, or a communist, or both.

Some of us, for A.S.D.-related reasons, fear work because it destroys our fragile sense of self, exhausts us, leaves us in bits on the floor, and makes us wish we were dead. These are all valid, known, A.S.D.-related problems. I have professional reports going back as far as 1998 saying any attempt at any regular employment would be liable to put me in the mental hospital or else simply lead to my suicide. From 2000 to 2011, I repeatedly chose to ignore that professional advice and tried to work, both in fulfilling well-paid jobs and, when I couldn't handle those, in simple, supposedly non-stressful, low-paid unskilled jobs. The result was the same in all cases: total exhaustion, total disorientation, and suicidal depression.

Might be nice to see a tad more respect and sympathy for genuine and distressing A.S.D.-related issues round here. What with it being an A.S.D. forum. Yeah?

The fact that many people with A.S.D. can work doesn't mean we necessarily all can. Lucky you if you can. But try to go easy on the sarcasm when it comes to those of us who can't. Please.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 8:41 am

my intent was to express solidarity with anybody who dreads the rat race and not to put anybody down.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:05 am

I have cognitive problems and go into sensory overload when I have to rush. I fear work because in the workplace I have no idea what’s going on or what to do. That’s how it was when I first worked anyway. I think I’d still confuse more easily than most people in the workplace these days. And I am slow so they wouldn’t like that. And I get tired really easy. I would just suck at work but I can’t help it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 10:10 am

AuntBlabby wasn't being sarcastic in the least.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 11:00 am

^^^thank you KK for being in my corner :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 11:49 am

I've "known" you for over 5 years. You're just not that type of person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 11:53 am

Blabby, sarcastic? What? Where? Never.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2019, 12:05 pm

Ooops! Sorry AuntBlabby and friends of AuntBlabby. I was so rattled by the post preceding hers that I got paranoid and thought this was the start of an avalanche of hostile retorts.

And amazingly, I was sober at the time, so I can't even use drink as an excuse (not that it's a good excuse anyway...).

I am truly glad to be told so loudly that you didn't mean what I assumed you meant.

Being undeniably still pretty new to Wrong Planet, although I'm glad I got round to joining at last
(or am I? See below...), I must admit I'm still pretty freaked out by some of the absolutely incontrovertibly sarcastic and insensitive posts which some of the more robust members appear to delight in belittling some of the more delicate members with.

In this particular instance, clearly my comments ought to have been directed solely at the poster before AuntBlabby, rather than at both of them. I was both alarmed for Sarah and outraged on her behalf, so all my instincts urged me to roll out my big guns and defend her.

I don't know if anyone will feel willing to accept my apologies, but I am truly sorry for this misunderstanding.

p.s. If anyone wonders how I could possibly construe anything on Wrong Planet as sarcastic and insensitive and belittling, he or she could, for instance, peruse the "Therapy doesn't help me" thread, in which those of us who have put faith and time and money and effort into therapy are pilloried as gullible and self-indulgent and weak, and told we ought to have simply "grown up and got over it" (by people who clearly have no idea what "it" could have been nor what "it" did to us). I don't think actually I want to belong to a forum supposedly for the benefit of A.S.D. sufferers where that kind of brutal and wilful insensitivity is apparently considered fair comment.

So I do still, in principle, apologise for over-reacting to AuntBlabby's ambiguous post, but in practice it was made ambiguous by the fact she apparently saw no need to criticize or contradict the crass and unpleasant post prior to hers: naturally I assumed she agreed with the guy, because she didn't bother to disagree with him.

So I don't think I get the rules of Wrong Planet, if boneheaded nastiness is perfectly O.K. in a forum where many members may, by definition, be very damaged and delicate people. It isn't quite the safe space I kind of assumed it would be.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2019, 1:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
So you're seriously telling me it didn't occur to her to emphasize she was not agreeing with the post immediately preceding hers? She thought that post was fair comment, did she? She thought it was O.K. to let it pass?

Thanks for helping to convince me this forum is not a safe space for delicate people. I hesitated for some years before joining, and now I know I was right to hesitate.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 1:46 pm

Raphael F wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
So you're seriously telling me it didn't occur to her to emphasize she was not agreeing with the post immediately preceding hers? She thought that post was fair comment, did she? She thought it was O.K. to let it pass?

Thanks for helping to convince me this forum is not a safe space for delicate people. I hesitated for some years before joining, and now I know I was right to hesitate.

Auntblabby is a he; the previous post to his was actually also sympathetic - shotfatbaldman also listed what's bothering him about work, and the list is this:

Quote:
Angry customers
Annoying co-worker
Standing up
Long bus ride
Boring work
Hot kitchen
Dirty, dangerous,
Condescending
Getting laughed at
Dogs
"Huh" and "what"

What do you find offensive in this post? It's just a case of different format confusing an autistic person. Auntblabby didn't find offence there since the offence wasn't there. You write in red, shortfatuglyman writes in a column; we have some other users that use different formatting.

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sarah

Yes I don't want to work either

Angry customers
Annoying co-worker
Standing up
Long bus ride
Boring work
Hot kitchen
Dirty, dangerous,
Condescending
Getting laughed at
Dogs
"Huh" and "what"

Plenty of people don't want to work

Some jobs are "fun"

Different people find different things fun

"Beggars can't be choosers"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 1:50 pm

I'm allowed to defend my friend.

He's not the sarcastic type. He sort of tells it like it is.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 2:03 pm

shortfatman said nothing wrong, and in fact agreed with Sarah. He is equally frustrated with the process of finding / needing work and he refers to this anxiety frequently. Blabby said nothing wrong in response. I'm not sure what type of "boneheaded nastiness" you perceived in either of those comments, or elsewhere, or why. I don't know of any boneheads on this forum and that is a hurtful generalisation.

We all support Sarah just as we all support one another on Wrong Planet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm

ShortFatUglyMan was saying that the general society says "beggars can't be choosers." He wasn't agreeing with that statement.

He was criticizing that phrase which frequently comes out of the mouths of people who are unsympathetic to the plight of disabled people.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

omg