Workmates letting off firework things at work

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm

It is really getting annoying and is also making me a jumpy, nervous wreck. I'm not sure if they're actual fireworks but they're these things that you light then throw them on the ground and they go BANG - much louder than a large balloon popping.

I know it's nice to work somewhere where you can have a laugh but sometimes a couple of these guys I work with can take their pranks too far to the point where it becomes annoying or even childish. I work evenings so there are no bosses, and the supervisor is so laid back that he thinks it's rather funny too. We work outside, but these loud bangs aren't fair on animals or other people. I'm hoping that someone will come along and complain, but people living nearby probably think it's just fireworks and don't like to intervene. Where are the busy-bodies when you want them??!

These two silly guys at my work can't be doing their work properly if all they keep doing is setting off these stupid things. It was funny at first but now it's getting tedious and it's making me jump at every sound.
I can't tell them to pack it in because then I'll look like a killjoy. But it is upsetting me. I was having a conversation with a (more mature) colleague earlier and one of those damn things went BANG, and I almost dropped a cup of scolding hot coffee. But if I tell people how I feel it might give out hints that I have an ASD and I don't want that.

:roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 3:24 pm

Yep.....that can certainly be a pain in the butt.

I don't like people making noise just for the sake of making noise.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 1:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

It was funny the first couple of times but it's been going on for 2 nights now and it's just not funny any more. I can't even do my end of week paperwork because my hands are shaking so much from my nerves. I did tell the supervisor that it keeps annoying me but he just said that it's just lads having a bit of fun, so I had to bite my tongue to keep my social approval. Apparently they have got loads of those things, so I suppose it's going to go on all of next week too. :roll:

I'm getting rather f****d off with it now to be honest.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 1:20 pm

Sounds like a sackable offense if you ask me if they are indeed fireworks.

I amazed actually that we are in the middle of October and I haven't heard one firework being let off round my area

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 3:22 pm

My sympathies, Joe90; I have a terrible startle reflex, too, and I can't stand that kind of thing - even people who pop their chewing gum drive me nuts. It sounds to me like your supervisor is a bit spineless and ought to pull his finger out, even if there weren't an employee who's being half scared to death.

SaveFerris wrote:
Sounds like a sackable offense if you ask me if they are indeed fireworks.

Explosives that you have to light with an open flame - however small the powder charge, I should think so; they'd almost certainly be against health and safety law aside from anything else.

SaveFerris wrote:
I amazed actually that we are in the middle of October and I haven't heard one firework being let off round my area

Can I do a house swap? Pleeeaaaaaase! :lol:

There seems to be absolutely no enforcement of the firework laws around here at all; it can be any time of year and any time of day or night - and not just little bangers; the proper ones that shoot up into the air. It seems to be that a blind eye is turned in the name of not upsetting certain immigrant communities who have a big thing about them for wedding celebrations etc. (there is provision in the law for specific religious celebrations, but not that). There's even a common urban myth around here that it's the local weed growers signalling that their crops are ready (not that they'd be likely to get busted even if it were).

And, right on cue, there are some going off right now! :(

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 4:07 pm

Funnily enough I don't mind fireworks, as they're up in the sky and don't seem to startle me so much. But these things at work are on the ground and I'm scared one is going to be around a corner and will explode when I'm nearby. They don't do it indoors so I'm safe when indoors but I'm not always working indoors.

On Friday I got so fed up with the sudden bangs that I walked off and started on a different task down the other end of the yard, but then the supervisor came and told me to finish off what I was doing. I told him that the bangs are pissing me off but he said that they won't hurt me and that they won't set them off indoors and that I need to chill. But these guys seem to have hundreds of these things and I am just one big bag of nerves. But I have to mask my anxiety as much as I can and pretend to not be too bothered by the bangs, as I don't want anyone to guess that I have an ASD.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 6:14 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Can I do a house swap? Pleeeaaaaaase! :lol:

No , I like you , I wouldn't wish Mrs Ferris on anyone ( she comes with the house ) :twisted:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 6:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

It was funny the first couple of times but it's been going on for 2 nights now and it's just not funny any more. I can't even do my end of week paperwork because my hands are shaking so much from my nerves. I did tell the supervisor that it keeps annoying me but he just said that it's just lads having a bit of fun, so I had to bite my tongue to keep my social approval. Apparently they have got loads of those things, so I suppose it's going to go on all of next week too. :roll:

I'm getting rather f****d off with it now to be honest.

I hope your tongue is ok.
I hate fireworks. I like watching them from up here as we can see them going off 20 to 40 miles away, and the closer ones are about 2 miles away... But I hate being anywhere close to them. The sudden bangs are frightening!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:16 pm

^ Is your first language Welsh

you seem to really struggle with metaphors / idioms.

biting your tongue = stop yourself from saying what you actually want to say as you know it might be offensive or hurtful

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:23 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
^ Is your first language Welsh

you seem to really struggle with metaphors / idioms.

No. First language is English. Tried learning other languages. Was not successful. Languages are not my strong point. I keep to smaller words I know better and use them a lot. Is a bit like the narrow field of subjects I know. I go into great depth if I want to, but just in a few narrow fields...
Not sure what metaphores and idioms are. I have an idea though...
My Mum is the complete opposite of me. I believe that if I am on the spectrum she is as wrll... But English is her special interest and also she can pick up western languages just like that if she latches onto them.

It is odd that I have a bit of a narrow vocabulary as I am slightly above average intelligence. I guess my intelligence is in different ways.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:38 pm

^

For some an idiom is an expression where the meaning is not immediately apparent from the literal interpretation of the words.

e.g

Raining cats and dogs
Kick the bucket
Bite your tongue

Idioms and metaphors are something that a lot of people on the spectrum don't understand at first due to their literal interpretation of words but it's an easy thing to learn.

Obviously if you have never heard a particular idiom before and no one points it out you took it literally you'll have no chance.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
^

For some an idiom is an expression where the meaning is not immediately apparent from the literal interpretation of the words.

e.g

Raining cats and dogs
Kick the bucket
Bite your tongue

Idioms and metaphors are something that a lot of people on the spectrum don't understand at first due to their literal interpretation of words but it's an easy thing to learn.

Obviously if you have never heard a particular idiom before and no one points it out you took it literally you'll have no chance.

Raining cats and dogs. I used to go outside to look when I heard that said.

Kick the bucket. Used to puzzle why people did that when they died. Used to think "What has that got to do with buckets?" Where did that term come from?

Bite your tongue. When you talk too much while eating? Is a funny saying. I said I hope her tongue was ok in humour... But I struggle to know what it means... Other then to actually bite ones tongue.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 7:56 pm

And now I just sound like a condescending prick , thanks MG :roll:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 8:19 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
And now I just sound like a condescending prick , thanks MG :roll:

I have found that in recent ywars I have had to learn words I rarely have used all over again. Is like I have lost them from my memory? Is like I recognise the word but have lost the meaning of it. For example. Condescending... What aas that? Going down stairs.... Ah. Yes. I know what it is. :) Is a type of going down thing...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 12:17 pm

They're still doing it now. Well, it's only one person doing it now. The bangs are few and far between now but it's still really irritating, as the joke died days ago. It's like the guy with the things in his pocket is doing a task then randomly stops for 5 seconds to get one of those things out of his pocket, lights it, throws it on the ground so that it bangs loudly, and carries on with the tasks. Sounds ridiculous really, doesn't it? And today I've got to work right at where the bangs go off, which isn't fair because I have a sinus infection and I don't want to breathe in the smoke they let off after they bang. :roll: Also the bangs cause me to become a bag of nerves. But try saying that to the guy with them - he'll just tell me to lighten up and get on with my work.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 12:53 pm

that would send me into a meltdown