Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 5:04 am

I'm in Beijing at the moment and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.

Although English is a mandatory subject in all Chinese schools, the number of English speakers is less than I expected.

We had a shopping trip with g my girlfriend in the third circle. She bought these two beckoning cats, one for her and one for her once and future business partner (an older lady, they have a love, hate relationship).

I carried those two porcelain cats through endless warrens of narrow corridors lined with fashion boutiques. I told Jane that next time we should buy the cats at the end of our shopping trip.

She just had to buy the biggest ones.

Speaking of love hate relationships, that's what me and Jane had. It's not good being dependent on someone who may or may not hate me at any given time as my translator.

Android is surprisingly dependent on Google services. It's actually kind of broken with Google services blocked. Ironically, my phone is from a Chinese brand (Oppo).

Before I left I asked some people about internet uses in China and every one told me, just use a VPN! Sounds simple.

But it's not 2017 any more and China doesn't leave well known flaws in their system undressed like my old high school used to.

China have done a surprisingly good job at blocking every VPN I've ever heard of down to the IP level.

I didn't want to view any political content, I just wanted to navigate using Google maps and download apps from the Play Store.

I feel lonely. Even when Jane isn't mad at me, she spends far more time talking to her auntie then me. They talk and talk and talk. In Mandarin of course. I try to talk to Jane and she ignores me. I can't talk to other people because they don't speak English. I can't talk on social media because it's blocked.

There's something about the air in Beijing. The air feels dry even when I'm standing in the rain.

Tetreg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2019, 5:28 am

Depending on how long you're there for there may be some sort of English speaking expat community you could get involved in. Why is your gf mad at you if you don't mind me asking?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 6:55 am

She really blows hot and cold. She got mad at me for wanting to rest during her shopping adventure.

I know this sounds like a cliche and a stereotype but without she says she has nothing to wear.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2019, 7:16 am

Seems like a good many females, regardless of their cultural background, spend far too much time shopping!

Yet would find it hard to tolerate when their guys want to do something on their own, such as go for a jog or a game.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 7:37 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
She really blows hot and cold. She got mad at me for wanting to rest during her shopping adventure.

I know this sounds like a cliche and a stereotype but without she says she has nothing to wear.

...I'd say ditch her for the shopping trip and go to a cafe or something, but I suppose that's not possible with your language skills. :/

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 12:35 pm

I despise shopping. I'm sorry you had to carry the cats around.

I have had similar vacations, in France and Quebec. My French is good enough to get around, but when I'm sitting at a family dinner and everyone is talking and I don't know what is going on...it is lonely. And I was in Indonesia with my youngest brother, and had to wait on him for every thing. And I am sure mandarin is worse.

I would look for an English language bookstore or cafe with English newspapers.

You have my sincere virtual hugs.

Eternal_Enigma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2019, 5:00 pm

CHINA IS THE COUNTRY WITH THE MOST MALWARE IN THE WORLD. FACT. Sorry about the bold I got excited haha :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 8:25 pm

After our shopping trip we went to a restaurant. The food was pretty good. We got back at maybe 8 or 9 o'clock and I went to sleep straight away.

That may sound early but you must consider jetlag. It was several hours later in the timezone I had been in before.

The next morning Jane made me rush to get ready because she said she was late for her blood test appointment. No time to have a shower or coffee. Later that morning she revealed she didn't have an appointment. It's a walk-in clinic. No appointment necessary.

I would not recommend taking to the Beijing subway during peak hour to people who have sensory issues, fear of crowds or a dislike of being touched. You would be touched on all sides and as more people board you will be compressed into half your normal volume.

I knew Beijing would be bigger than my home city but it seems more like a grotesque parody of an overgrown city. It's Ahnk-Morpork with neon.

No one uses cash or credit cards. They all use wechat to pay for things. I can't log in to my wechat account. It says I need to use a one time passwords that they will text to me. The trouble is, I'm not using my normal phone number so I can't get that text.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 5:10 am

I tried the subway in interpeak time and found it to be more pleasant. The buses are excellent. Much smoother then the ones at home. Australian bus drivers like to drive as roughly as possible. The Chinese ones are driven more sedately. They even have electric buses (both trolley buses and battery powered).

I'm not so keen on all the people spitting and smoking everywhere. People even smoke in al fresco dining areas!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 5:24 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm in Beijing at the moment and I'm finding it a bit overwhelming.

Although English is a mandatory subject in all Chinese schools, the number of English speakers is less than I expected.

We had a shopping trip with g my girlfriend in the third circle. She bought these two beckoning cats, one for her and one for her once and future business partner (an older lady, they have a love, hate relationship).

I carried those two porcelain cats through endless warrens of narrow corridors lined with fashion boutiques. I told Jane that next time we should buy the cats at the end of our shopping trip.

She just had to buy the biggest ones.

Speaking of love hate relationships, that's what me and Jane had. It's not good being dependent on someone who may or may not hate me at any given time as my translator.

Android is surprisingly dependent on Google services. It's actually kind of broken with Google services blocked. Ironically, my phone is from a Chinese brand (Oppo).

Before I left I asked some people about internet uses in China and every one told me, just use a VPN! Sounds simple.

But it's not 2017 any more and China doesn't leave well known flaws in their system undressed like my old high school used to.

China have done a surprisingly good job at blocking every VPN I've ever heard of down to the IP level.

I didn't want to view any political content, I just wanted to navigate using Google maps and download apps from the Play Store.

I feel lonely. Even when Jane isn't mad at me, she spends far more time talking to her auntie then me. They talk and talk and talk. In Mandarin of course. I try to talk to Jane and she ignores me. I can't talk to other people because they don't speak English. I can't talk on social media because it's blocked.

There's something about the air in Beijing. The air feels dry even when I'm standing in the rain.

So why are you still there? do you think you will get used to it and enjoy it or not. I mean are you unable to leave china or something...or you just wanted to keep the illusion and it disappointed you so now you want to go home? I guess I am just trying to find the basis here. LIke are you unhappy in your situation or are you just worried it wont last? Just kind of hard to tell from the post since you don't even mention why you went out there or what you were looking for there or if it had anything to do with reuniting with family members so it is hard to say.

without any context I would say if you like this girl you should just express that rather than trying to drop hints or whatever but if she is not appearing to be interested it would probably be best not to continue trying to get her attention if she is not already giving it at this point. But just random late night thoughts from me, who knows.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:01 am

Best not to use google maps it’s a crime in China. As google maps a knowledges international law and boarders which China doesn’t. Anything that goes against what China claims is illegal.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2019, 6:05 am

I doubt that it's illegal; Google Maps can be useful. What if you're looking for directions to the public library or a well recommended restaurant?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 6:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
So why are you still there? do you think you will get used to it and enjoy it or not. I mean are you unable to leave china or something...or you just wanted to keep the illusion and it disappointed you so now you want to go home? I guess I am just trying to find the basis here. LIke are you unhappy in your situation or are you just worried it wont last? Just kind of hard to tell from the post since you don't even mention why you went out there or what you were looking for there or if it had anything to do with reuniting with family members so it is hard to say.

without any context I would say if you like this girl you should just express that rather than trying to drop hints or whatever but if she is not appearing to be interested it would probably be best not to continue trying to get her attention if she is not already giving it at this point. But just random late night thoughts from me, who knows.

The woman is already his girlfriend (or maybe even fiancee, I'm not sure) and they went to see her family (she's Chinese.) I think he doesn't like it there but doesn't really want to leave either because he wants to be supportive of his girlfriend, which is understandable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 10:44 am

I hope you get to at least see the Great Wall.

I'm sorry she's being such a bit of a twit to you.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 1:45 pm

When I was in Jakarta there were no subways. We went by bus. They were extremely crowded as in crammed and people hanging on to the outside. We waited until a bus came along that was only half full and had a nice ride to the botanical gardens. I did not much like Jakarta.

My point being that I have some idea of what you are going through and you have my deepest sympathy.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 2:40 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I doubt that it's illegal; Google Maps can be useful. What if you're looking for directions to the public library or a well recommended restaurant?

Anything that goes against their claim that they own the whole China sea due to claims based on ancient China empire claims is illegal and banned.
It’s called information control. North Korea does it to. Can’t have Chinese citizens finding out international law say that claim is invalid and the nations own the water 200 miles from their shores. Even though China is part of UN and so should accept its laws.
Also google maps acknowledges Twain another big no no. Taiwan is part of China whether they like it or not from chinas view.
Anything that goes against the government says is illegal. China isn’t a free society.
Thank god you don’t live there I don’t imagine any aspie would have a good social status number. It’s a hell society. Don’t blame people for wanting to escape.

Imagine if trump could just ban anything that goes against him. That’s China.