Neurotypicals have it made

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cosine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm

my feeling is that being an NT is a self-reenforcing curse. the more social friends you have, the more people you deal with that don't really care about you. some might, but they are programmed to not let it show. and NTs are under more social pressure to find more NTs to be social friends with. they don't even know they are doing it.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2020, 1:28 am

@ OP: Did you notice how easily NTs can suffer too just because of their neurotype? The social distancing thing for example is creating unhappiness of such a degree in some NTs that it makes some of them suicidal. I don't want to be like that and I'm happy that I'm independent and the things that give me true happiness in life are all things I can give myself (because they're non-social & cost hardly anything) and don't rely on any human. NTs have potential for unnecessary mental unsease that results from social drama that plays itself out in their lives. They might be better suited to being in full time employment but they also have social value attached to their ability to gather economic resources, men moreso. NTs are more prone to waste their time to go places just to click pictures for their social media and in the process can even fall off a cliff and die.

The world is more suited to them but they suffer too. There's inequality everywhere, also among NTs. Someone always has it better.

SecretOpossumCabal wrote:
I'll never be over 6 feet, i'll never live in a house on the beach. Etc

Some people wish they could walk but are stuck in wheelchairs, some people wish they can hear but are deaf. Then these are those who wish they could talk, but either can't or can't do it very good, whom we are amongst.

We just have to accept it and build our lives around it. We can't run as the NTs do and we'll never run as the NTs do, but that doesn't mean that our lives can't mean something.

I would say though, it's not uncommon for aspies to have a bunch of other comorbid conditions. We do have it harder, and it sucks that we have it harder but these things produce character in the end should we be willing to work with them rather than against. This world sucks, and it sucks especially for aspies because I know for certain that NT compassion is a farce and I would even go so far to say that human compassion is a farce. Humans are fallen creatures and this we also have to accept. Despite our intelligence we can't escape from greed and vanity, in the end it seems we're just like the animals and do as the animals do.

But these things while dark at first are healthy to realize because then we're allowed to individually seek for something greater than what humanity has to offer. Humans in the plural are just no good, but individually we can still become creatures of character, but first we have to realize how crappy we made this world and how we musn't follow the broad masses into the hell they created.

+++

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:24 am

Quote:
The social distancing thing for example is creating unhappiness of such a degree in some NTs that it makes some of them suicidal

Social distancing has affected me (an Aspie) the same way it's affected a lot of NTs.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 8:04 am

OP: As autists, we certainly have a certain set of challenges, disabilities and problems facing us in life that most NTs may not. And that can feel overwhelming. It can feel unfair. It is unfair. I can see wishing to be born differently, with a "normal" brain and that would make everything okay. I send you lots of hugs and sympathy.

I grew up before anyone really knew about or considered special education or diagnoses, and as a girl, I would have been missed anyway because girls present differently from boys.

I consider this a blessing because I could not spend a lot of time feeling sorry for myself because I had autism. Instead, I had to work at figuring out how to cope, and develop ways to cope.

You have to grow and develop with that knowledge that you are starting life "behind the 8 ball." That can make it much more difficult for you to let that all go and play the hand you are dealt.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 8:10 am

Yes neurotypical privilege exists but that doesn't mean individual neurotypicals have it easy in life or that it can't be easy for autistic people in other ways.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2020, 8:40 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
The social distancing thing for example is creating unhappiness of such a degree in some NTs that it makes some of them suicidal

Social distancing has affected me (an Aspie) the same way it's affected a lot of NTs.

yeah, I should have added this was not really talking about individual human's experiences, and was just a generalization. I just meant that more likely, more autistic ppl than nts have already learnt out of necessitiy to cope long ago with having a smaller social network, feeling lonely or sometimes having nobody in their lives at all - not everyone, not you, maybe not the majority, but a larger portion than among the NTs. The other way around, I am aware that many NTs are either not emotionally affected by the distancing stuff or have unfortunately already been affected prior to this crisis by isolation for whatever reason. I was just generalizing and not speaking at the individual level & didn't want to downplay your emotional distress. Hope better times will come to you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 8:52 am

I'm not jealous of NTs at all. I quite like living the hippie lifestyle without the drugs, of course.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 2:01 pm

I was very jealous of NTs when I was at school, to the point where it made me depressed, because they all just seemed to know what to do and what to say and how to be - most of the time (nobody is 100% correct on social cues but you know what I mean). I made an effort to fit in but failed, even if I said and done the things the others would do. For example if someone from the group asked the others if they'd done their math homework they would all start a conversation about it, but if I was the one that asked the others if they'd done their math homework they'd just say something like "yes, duh!!" in a rude sort of way. And that was the sort of double standard treatment I had to put up with on and off through high school. I just wished so much that I was NT like them, and then I would have automatically been accepted. I know you can say that I might not have even if I had of been NT, but there was about 18 girls in my class and were all NTs, and they always hung around together every day at school, but they deliberately excluded me because I was different. So to me that is not a coincidence.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 2:31 pm

Everyone suffers. Some more than others, but everyone suffers. Life is not free of pain. Without suffering you can't grow. Without suffering success has no meaning. Without pain there can be no joy. Without Loss there can be no gain. Life would have no meaning without pain. Life is not about how you suffer life is about how you overcome that suffering. Some do it better than others. Some never do it. That's what I've learned.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 3:46 am

I put up with more bullsh!t over my almost 63 years of life than I care to think about. I’m now of the attitude “f!ck ‘em if they can’t take a joke!” I’m pretty much a hermit in this apartment complex. You don’t bother, and I won’t bother you (except when the smoke alarm goes off when I’m trying to fry Hamburg, bacon or eggs (which is frequently, even though I have the vent fans on high when I do cook. Last time that happened, the West Manchester Township Fire Department showed up in full turnout gear, ready to hack through my apartment door.

And you wonder why I order delivery a good bit...)