What is your biggest regret in life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Davideus85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2020, 10:55 pm

Mine is breaking up with my girlfriend thinking I could actually find someone else.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 2:04 am

I met a girl who could have turned my life around. She tried so hard to get my attention but because of my insecurities I gave her the cold shoulder and later thoroughly burned bridges with her. On top of that she was in a bad place emotionally due to her dying father on top of her own loneliness and she really needed support. I'm so ashamed of my actions. I'll never be able to forgive myself. She'll always remember me as a piece of s**t, and I'll always lament taking what could have been the turning point of my life into the single biggest regret.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 2:55 am

I don't think I have any that would clearly stand out from the rest, but if I had to name something... well, I always took my studies seriously, but had I realized as a kid and teenager how hard "adult life" actually is, I would've forced myself to work a lot harder as a kid in order to have it easier now.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:49 am

Taking music as a GCSE option in high school instead of textiles or geography.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 5:31 am

I don't know. I don't have a lot of regrets because I see them as life experiences and things to learn and grow from. There are things I wish I would've learned sooner though. I wish I could've gotten my autism dx sooner. It might have saved me from a major burnout that took my life on a downward crash. The Coping skills I learned have helped me be a more functional person. Had I learned these things sooner, my life might have been tons easier/more comfortable.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 5:55 am

I don't have regrets.
My philosophy is, you do the best you can, with what you have at the time.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 6:33 am

I regret throwing away a lot of things I made in my youth. At the same time, I accept not everything can be saved, that's just life's natural course. Would I be more content if I still had them? Probably yes. Can I get them back now? No. C'est la vie.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 7:26 am

Being born.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 7:39 am

Listening to a woman who I didn't like when she said there were volunteering opportunities working with her friends. Being around them made my mental health bad and in the long run was the worst thing I could've done for finding a job, I would've been better off taking a voluntary job in another book shop or even just regular charity shop while I looked for work in retail, waiting for a library job.

Also doing a 'vocational MA' in the first place. I only did it to get a job and to postpone the getting of a job. Knowing I ultimately would not get a job for longer than a few months, I would have been better doing an English lit or creative writing one and enjoying myself. But nobody warned me 'libraries are going to get cut' until I had forked out money for it, and yes, there were libraries in all my schools, unis and towns all my life before that (only primary had no librarian) so it was a reasonable expectation.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 8:18 am

Not making and keeping friends when I had the chance.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 2:54 pm

When i was 26, I met a 23-year-old Vietnamese guy from a newspaper personal ad in NY. I wasn't attracted to him at all but decided to date him anyway because he liked me. About 6 or 7 months later, because he was getting in the way of me trying to be a professional musician, I told him goodbye over the phone. He started crying, which was a total shock to me because, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not anyone worth crying over. I've since regretted that I broke up with him. Would my life had been better and drug free? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a decision I've felt bad for years about.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 4:17 pm

Structural engineering

"Friends"

Emotional

Financial

Lgbt

San Diego

Car crash

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 8:13 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Being born.

But that is a given.
They make umbilical cords for a reason.
You chose to opt-out. 8)

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 10:18 pm

As Catllover5 wrote;
‘Making and keeping friends when I had the chance.’
How I regret not working hard at learning to get along with people, how to make friends, how to be comfortable around people, how to socialize....
Regrets are bitter, indeed. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 10:34 pm

it doesn't pay to dwell upon it. futility.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 1:39 am

Not seeking medical advice at the first sign of symptoms. Many (professional) misdiagnoses later and my skin has been destroyed. It’s still healing, but when it’s ready to take ink I’ll begin the process of spending $50,000.00+ on tattoos that I’ll wear like an inked suit of armour. 8)

Had I, or doctors, acted differently I wouldn’t be in this situation. At least I get to support the arts, I guess.