Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

icewaterbo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2020, 2:45 am

Hello, I'm new to Wrong Planet and I hope I am posting this in the right this thread in the right place...
But in any case...I really, really need help. I don't know what to do.
I'm 30 years old and I may be affected with Autism/Aspergers. I would really like to be able to receive a proper diagnosis, but I have absolutely no idea what to do at all. My father recommended me to see my family doctor so she can refer me to a neurologist. My family doctor has known me since I was a child and can write a referral if needed. However, the last time I tried to get help from my family doctor, she would try to refer me to a psychiatrist or prescribe me antidepressants instead. Should I try talking to my family doctor again and try to explain things, or should I try going straight to someone who can diagnose adults? Also, what kind of doctor should I be looking for? any help is greatly appreciated.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 9:43 am

You are 30 years old?
Are you full-time employed?
If so, you should have paid healthcare.
Arrange an appointment with any doctor on the list; ask 3 different co-workers who they would recommend.
Get a full work up and state your concerns/questions bluntly, fully, honestly.
Make it clear that you NEED a neurologist.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 11:31 pm

First off, what country do you live in? How you get diagnosed, and by what kind of practitioner, and how you get referred, varies a lot from one country to another.

Here in the U.S.A. at least, autism diagnosis is done NOT by doctors but by specially trained psychotherapists. If you live in the U.S.A., I would suggest contacting your local Autism Society branch or similar organization to ask for recommendations.

Your regular doctor is unlikely to have a clue about how to seek an adult autism diagnosis. Even many psychiatrists don't have a clue. (Psychiatrists specialize in medical conditions for which pills can be prescribed.) You might need a referral from a doctor for insurance purposes, but, in that case, you should find a qualified psychotherapist on your own first, then get the paper referral.

In any case, it probably won't be possible to get an autism diagnosis until after the COVID crisis is resolved.