Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:17 am

I dont' understand what I'm doing most of the time. It's really stressful.

Just ask someone!

No they're all too busy with their own stuff and don't have time to have a good look at my task as well as do their own job.

I have no idea how I got this stupid job. I with I had never applied for it. I cancelled my first interview because I wasn't well and they asked me in for another interview.

I guess I look good on paper.

I'm so stressed.

I've had weeks off, but this first week back isn't over and I'm so stressed I'm just staring at the screen. I can't do this stupid task I'm supposed to do.

I don't know what to do.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:24 am

This happens to me too, especially over the last couple of months. I just had two weeks off of work (except one day, I had to come in). It helped a little, but not as much as I had hoped.

I take frequent breaks if I can, drink plenty of water, and sometimes I'll play music on my headphones when I'm alone just to have something positive about the experience of working. That's helped me, is letting myself have something enjoyable at my desk whether it's a funny (work-appropriate) comic or music. And taking breaks. I often skip lunch because I'm too busy, but I've been forcing myself to eat lunch too.

I know you are probably just venting and don't need advice, so you can go ahead and ignore the above if needed. haha. I totally understand what you're going through. I wish we didn't have to work. :(

I've also had to figure out most of my job on my own, and it's not an easy job to figure out.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:34 am

It sort of makes me feel better that it's not just me. I coped better when I wasn't working from home.

I've got pets so I go and have breaks and play with them.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:48 am

Relax. Is there a way you can go to a supervisor or someone in charge and say that the specific task you will need a little additional training so you can be on top form to conquor it?

If it is a new job, there are times when they will put new recruits in the deep end to see what they canor can not do. If it is a job you have been in for a while, then you are within your rights to be asked for a littlwemore training if there are areas which you are shady on as how else are you going to learn as things change within the industry?
It is unreasonable to expect even the most experienced person to just do a new task without some guidance if it is an area that they have not come across before, so you are within your rights to ask how to do a task you have not come across. (No one out there knows everything! Think of my main special interest. I have been interested in model and real railways all my life from the days when I was a toddler, and there are quite a few areas in which if I wanted to do the tasks, I would have to look up how or need to ask for someone who knows the specific field for some advice in how to do it. When DCC came in, at first I was ahead of the game as I invested early into it, but since DCC has progressed, I have not kept up with it as I was less interested in the newer aspects of it and so I have been left behind in those areas, but I know that if I did need to venture into those areas within the hobby I know who to ask who might know as they love that realm of the hobby. But if it comes to something like scratchbuilding little waggons they would likely need to ask me for advice if they get stuck... Ad this is a hobby I have been involved in nearly all my life).

Is there anyone on this site who may have tackled the task you are having difficulties with and who might have the answers for you? There is no shame to learn from each other. It is how we learn and sharpen up our skills.

You are a very tallented person. If you were not so, your employers would not have picked you for the job. It is certainly not a lack of tallent. It is simply that you have found an area where either you need extra training or someone who is good in that area can take over in.
When I worked as a bicycle mechanic there was a young tallented man who was really an expert when it came to hydraulic brakes on bicycles. I was an expert on things like wheel building. We would co-operate to get jobs done. Yes I could do hydraulic brakes but it would take me twice as long and even longer! He was so good at it it would not take long at all. But for wheels, the entire shop staff did not even bother trying to fix them. Some could but most did not know how... But even the ones who could would send them my way as to me it was easy and often 4 or 5 minutes later their wheel would be handed back trued and ready for the road... It was far quicker handing them to me to do then if they had done them as it was a task I could almost do with my eyes closed... (Not quite but you get the idea).

Anyway. Do not be downhearted. We all come across areas which we get stuck. You simply need the right person to unstick you, and this is the managers or supervisors job to get someone to either take over the task or to train you up in that area. If they come down heavy they are NOT doing their jobs properly and they need to be replaced for a manager or a supervisor who is more supportive and who is a blessing rather then a curse. Good managers can make a company work. Bad ones can collapse a company. (Even managers need training on how to manage and shine up their managing skills so they assist the staff rather then blame the staff. A bad manager is heavy handed because they are lacking in their managment skills so they shift the blame onto the workers).

Sorry. I have written a whole lot when one line would have done. Haha. Relax and get help. :)

Oh. It is also the managers or supervisors job to ensure staff are also provided with adiquate breaks and time off so their staff are in top form ready to conquor the tasks they have for them...

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:14 pm

Thanks.

The bicycle example makes a lot of sense to me. I was hired for certain skills and I have a colleague that does the more technical stuff. I let him sort another thing out today because I had a look at it and it made no sense to me.

I managed to finish the main task I was assigned today! I wasn't that difficult in theory, but my brain would not work today. I kept reading over the same thing and not taking it in.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 3:35 pm

I am glad it made sense.

Sometimes the best of us get days when we are not thinking clearly. It is normal. As long as we get more good days then bad we are winning! Well done you!