I'm scared to have the COVID vaccine

Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2021, 2:48 pm

Maybe it's too late to chime in, but everyone in my family has had the vaccine--including my daughter who has lupus and who had to go through a special screening before she could get in. The only one who had any ill effects was me--I had a fever for three days and a sore arm. Not bad for at least some protection from this horrible virus.
For the record, my other daughter actually caught COVID last fall. It was horrible. She ran a high fever for 10 weeks--had heart arrhythmia, pneumonia, etc. Now she has what they call "long covid"--even though she has had no covid symptoms for 8 months now, she has brain fog, muscle aches and is easily fatigued. Before she was an accomplished athlete. Now she can barely move. For anyone out there still procrastinating, and who doesn't have a good medical reason to avoid it--GET THE SHOT.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:18 pm

It is a bit late to chime in because I've had my first covid shot already, and my second one is due this month. I've realised that nearly all vaccines have conspiracy theories linked to them. I heard that people were saying the same about the flu vaccines years ago, so if vaccines have a bad press then I will choose to ignore them and go and get jabbed.

This thread may not be necessary any more.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 8:57 am

Got my first Phizer injection yesterday.
Excellently handled, well set up, I was SO scared going in; all questions were answered, staff has been there, done that, the pharmacy department handled the whole procedure perfectly.
So, I had anxiety, that was just me, headaches, thank God it didn’t go into a migraine, fatigue, but it was a morning appointment following my first night back to work.
The rest of the day was nausea, in and out of the bathroom all day, very uncomfortable indigestion, couldn’t stay asleep, had to call in to work.
I was given excellent written information on possible side effects, and they can start DAYS
later!
If I had not gotten the shot and do not get the second one, I will be fired from a job I have held over twenty years!
California Mandate, thank you so very much, Governor Newsom.
We should not be forced.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:10 am

Sylkat wrote:
Excellently handled, well set up, I was SO scared going in; all questions were answered, staff has been there, done that, the pharmacy department handled the whole procedure perfectly.
So, I had anxiety, that was just me, headaches, thank God it didn’t go into a migraine, fatigue, but it was a morning appointment following my first night back to work.
The rest of the day was nausea, in and out of the bathroom all day, very uncomfortable indigestion, couldn’t stay asleep, had to call in to work.
I was given excellent written information on possible side effects, and they can start DAYS
later!
If I had not gotten the shot and do not get the second one, I will be fired from a job I have held over twenty years!
We should not be forced.

Hugs Sylkat. I hope you're feeling better today.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:35 am

Thank you so much, Isabella;
I work at a hospital and can NOT believe the public behavior of intelligent (?), educated, sophisticated well-informed Americans;
Got the shot(s), don’t need the mask, don’t need to distance, don’t need hand washing or sanitizer, let’s have company over, let’s crowd the stores, let’s send the kids back to school, masks optional!
No one would believe this in a movie!
The ONLY way anyone catches Covid is through exposure to the infection.
Vaccinated and un-vaccinated are catching it.
The shots are not 100%.
Many people have trouble with meds/shots/chemicals in general.
Shots or no shots, the lockdown should never, NEVER have been lifted!
And we hospital workers (and, possibly, Civil Service workers) should not be forced to get the shots or to be fired.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 11:39 am

Sylkat wrote:
I work at a hospital and can NOT believe the public behavior of intelligent (?), educated, sophisticated well-informed Americans;
Got the shot(s), don’t need the mask, don’t need to distance, don’t need hand washing or sanitizer, let’s have company over, let’s crowd the stores, let’s send the kids back to school, masks optional!
No one would believe this in a movie!
The ONLY way anyone catches Covid is through exposure to the infection.
Vaccinated and un-vaccinated are catching it.
The shots are not 100%.
Many people have trouble with meds/shots/chemicals in general.
Shots or no shots, the lockdown should never, NEVER have been lifted!
And we hospital workers (and, possibly, Civil Service workers) should not be forced to get the shots or to be fired.

100% agree. Couldn't agree more. America sounds like a shite-show.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'm still in lockdown, and happily so.

I can't believe how stupid some people are, thinking that another person's vaccine will keep others healthy.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 12:47 pm

Dear Isabella,
Your last sentence should be on signs posted EVERYWHERE!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:12 pm

Just to reiterate, I'm not antivax. I held off for a long time like Joe, but I did it in April and June after a lot of research and consultation with my friend (Doctoral student of Epidemiology).

I see it as one form of personal protection, but not a method of protecting others around us.

Vigilance, social distancing, etc. are the way to stop a spread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:14 pm

Fully vaccinated people, with few exceptions, are not getting severe COVID and being hospitalized.

Of course, we must be vigilant.

We also really should think of this as an issue of public health, rather than an issue of politics, or "rights."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Fully vaccinated people, with few exceptions, are not getting severe COVID and being hospitalized

Right. Agreed. That's why I said it's a method of personal protection.

Vaccines don't control the spread or even the evolution of new strains, but at least they help individuals who do contract Covid.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2021, 2:45 pm

My friend's getting his second AZ jab on Monday. Them he should be effectively protected against any severe Covid were he to be infected.

I am planning a visit there so should maybe wait the week and a half to two weeks recommended by the pharmacists I've spoken to. I have general phobia of all medical procedures including needles, so although I registered, haven't been yer. But I had mild Covid last year, meaning I have the antibodies I need. I prefer to give first choice to those who didn't get it already. Considering it though.

Sorry you had all those side effects, Sylkat. They are working on vaccine alternatives, such as a nasal spray developed in Israel, and several different oral medications.

The vaccines could be better; they are far from perfect but I think it's important that those working in high risk environments (hospitality, tourism, retail, hospitals and medical, government etc) should be vaccinated unless they have medical grounds for not doing so.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm

I did have an unpleasant day after my shot, but not nearly as bad as I was afraid of.
No allergic reaction, today all there is is tiny discomfort in my arm; others have had serious reactions...I am VERY grateful things went so well for me.
I wish there we’re some test before getting the shot, but hopefully that is being worked on.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 5:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Fully vaccinated people, with few exceptions, are not getting severe COVID and being hospitalized
Right. Agreed. That's why I said it's a method of personal protection. Vaccines don't control the spread or even the evolution of new strains, but at least they help individuals who do contract Covid.
97% or more of covid hospital cases involve unvaccinated people.  As the covid virus spreads among unvaccinated people, it mutates into different strains.  Since the latest strain to be discovered is the "Mu" strains, and since "Mu" is the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet, the "mu" variant is the 12th known strain of the coronavirus.

The coronavirus seems to be mutating into a new strain about once every 6 to 8 weeks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
It is a bit late to chime in because I've had my first covid shot already, and my second one is due this month. I've realised that nearly all vaccines have conspiracy theories linked to them. I heard that people were saying the same about the flu vaccines years ago, so if vaccines have a bad press then I will choose to ignore them and go and get jabbed.

This thread may not be necessary any more.

Did you survive?
I'm talking from the grave, btw. :mrgreen:

I didn't even feel it go in and had absolutely no side effects.
"Much ado about nothing." 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:45 am

Sylkat wrote:

After watching the political shite-show, I was under the impression there weren't any. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:54 am

Sylkat wrote:
later!
We should not be forced.

You weren't forced.
You were given the option of not taking it and finding work elsewhere. 8)

I don't mean to be unsympathetic.
Just annoyingly accurate. :mrgreen:

BTW, I am convinced I had covid before it was reported on mainstream media.
I have speculated that my body may have been prepared for the vaccine, to some degree.
Just a skunk idea of mine. 8)

And yes, it was the worst flu I have ever had in my life. 8O
I went batshite crazy (pun intended) not to get whatever it was again! 8O