Do I still have friends here? What do I need to do better?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:12 am

I am having yet another depression attack since I had a nightmare about my older brother beating me up before I woke today and it’s making me feel like I’ve driven away those who like me. Do I still have friends here? What can I do better once I come back from my hiatus?

Last edited by Marknis on 09 Apr 2021, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:17 am

Hope you’ll feel better soon

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:20 am

Thank you, sorrowfairiewhisper. I don’t like it when I have nightmares. They stay in my mind even after I wake up.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

09 Apr 2021, 9:22 am

Obviously we don't really know each other but I like you!

It's horrible to feel depressed and think people don't like you, hope you get out of it soon :thumleft:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:39 am

Thank you, OutsideView. I really don’t like being depressed and wish dysthymia was more easily treatable.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 9:43 am

You’re welcome Marknis! I know it’s easier said than done but try to think of something else to distract yourself. Take care

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:02 pm

I really do need to distract myself with something. I also haven’t been getting good amounts of rest and having a nightmare didn’t help. I wish my mind would be kind to me when I am asleep.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:25 pm

You have to employ logic in your thoughts, as well as pure emotion.

For example: Why would anybody NOT want you to have a girlfriend? When somebody suggests that you emphasize your special interests over your pursuit of a girlfriend, it doesn't mean that this person doesn't want you to have a girlfriend.

I would feel great, actually, if you got a girlfriend.

You also have to realize that most people mean well for you, and they are not trying to screw with you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:29 pm

Regarding the nightmares, are you taking an SSRI? Sometimes they seem to cause insomnia or nightmares, in my experience. Taking the meds earlier in the day might help. In addition to SSRI I take a medication which is used off-label to prevent nightmares related to PTSD, and I also need a prescription sedative. With that regimen I can sleep for about five or six hours a night and I don't have nightmares or night terrors very frequently.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:37 pm

I get beat up by my brother in my dreams all the time.....when I wake up, I am relieved, because he's not there with me.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Regarding the nightmares, are you taking an SSRI? Sometimes they seem to cause insomnia or nightmares, in my experience. Taking the meds earlier in the day might help. In addition to SSRI I take a medication which is used off-label to prevent nightmares related to PTSD, and I also need a prescription sedative. With that regimen I can sleep for about five or six hours a night and I don't have nightmares or night terrors very frequently.

I have to take two SSRIs (citalopram), half of a diazepam, three gabapentins, and two lozenges of melatonin to sleep. Ever since the pandemic, my brain has been messed up and I have to stuff myself with medicines or else I will either wake up every other hour or will get insomnia. During the day, I have to take two busbars or I will suffer anxiety attacks to the point I can’t go to work but the cost of that is extreme thinking and assumptions others don’t like me anymore/

I hope I can tell you and others on here that I finally got a girlfriend, Isabella. I really do. :cry:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 1:59 pm

You take Gabapentin just for sleep, and not for pain? Just a word of caution. I took Gabapentin for pain, which is its normal indication, and it made my depression much worse. I had to go off it because the depression was so bad. My father took it for cancer pain and found the same problem, and recently my mother quit it after a few days because she couldn't stop crying.

If you are still having sleep issues / nightmares with those meds, I suggest you talk to your doctor immediately and try something else. Obviously it's not working. I have a few ideas for meds that could possibly help but I'm not a doctor and wouldn't want to give medical advice on the internet.

Have you found any new special interests or hobbies lately? That could also help to keep your mind busy, and tire you out.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 2:01 pm

Marknis wrote:
I really do need to distract myself with something. I also haven’t been getting good amounts of rest and having a nightmare didn’t help. I wish my mind would be kind to me when I am asleep.

What about a trainset?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 2:04 pm

Hope you got my measage ok, Mark. X

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 3:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have to employ logic in your thoughts, as well as pure emotion.

For example: Why would anybody NOT want you to have a girlfriend? When somebody suggests that you emphasize your special interests over your pursuit of a girlfriend, it doesn't mean that this person doesn't want you to have a girlfriend.

I would feel great, actually, if you got a girlfriend.

You also have to realize that most people mean well for you, and they are not trying to screw with you.

Will others feel like you do if I got a girlfriend?

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You take Gabapentin just for sleep, and not for pain? Just a word of caution. I took Gabapentin for pain, which is its normal indication, and it made my depression much worse. I had to go off it because the depression was so bad. My father took it for cancer pain and found the same problem, and recently my mother quit it after a few days because she couldn't stop crying.

If you are still having sleep issues / nightmares with those meds, I suggest you talk to your doctor immediately and try something else. Obviously it's not working. I have a few ideas for meds that could possibly help but I'm not a doctor and wouldn't want to give medical advice on the internet.

Have you found any new special interests or hobbies lately? That could also help to keep your mind busy, and tire you out.

I do have neuropathy brought on by being pre-diabetic so maybe I was prescribed the medicine for that as well?

Would new interests and hobbies help with the girlfriend issue as well? My friend wants me to get into Gunpla and I know some women like that hobby so I wonder if I could meet a potential girlfriend through it.

When I use the :cry: , it’s not just for effect. I actually do cry easier since I had my TMS treatments.

Mountain Goat wrote:
What about a trainset?

One of my nephews plays with trains.

Juliette wrote:
Hope you got my measage ok, Mark. X

I did, Juliette, thank you. I will read it after I get off work.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2021, 5:44 pm

Ugh, I hate depression attacks!

You're always welcome here on WP and you're a good friend here. I like you. :)

I often have dreams about being bullied by the kids who bullied me at school. Throughout the dream I feel sad, lonely, isolated and depressed.