Unprofessional Hairstylists

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DesertWoman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2021, 12:45 am

I've had the hardest time finding a good hairstylist. Just someone who will do a good job. Going to the hairstylist is hard being an adult with autism, because it always gets personal, and once people hear about me, and that I'm not married, or that I'm not the CEO of a corporation, they are weird around me.

I think if you're paying someone to do something, anything, there should be professionalism. Dealing with the public is hard, but people are people.

Frankly I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than deal with anyone who tries to manipulate me. I fear that other people find my hairstylists and ask them to maltreat me. It's terrible and humiliating.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2021, 12:51 am

:P I shave my head with Clippers, in the last 15 years or so, I think the only time I was to a barber was 7 years ago, when I broken arm.

I can understand how the small talk thing can be hard though. Maybe when your in the situation again, ask the stylist more about themselves, to deflect the attention away from you.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 11:38 am

DesertWoman wrote:
I've had the hardest time finding a good hairstylist. Just someone who will do a good job. Going to the hairstylist is hard being an adult with autism, because it always gets personal, and once people hear about me, and that I'm not married, or that I'm not the CEO of a corporation, they are weird around me.

I think if you're paying someone to do something, anything, there should be professionalism. Dealing with the public is hard, but people are people.

Frankly I'd rather be single for the rest of my life than deal with anyone who tries to manipulate me. I fear that other people find my hairstylists and ask them to maltreat me. It's terrible and humiliating.

Making small talk is good professional practice for hairdressers and barbers. MOST clients enjoy it. I assure you, this is not an effort to manipulate you or maltreat you.

But you don't need to be a passive player in this. I tell them a little bit about myself and avoid other stuff. The other trick I use is to say "don't take it personally if I fall asleep, I'm really tired," and I shut my eyes. This really works!