I think I just need to think of myself first from now on

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2021, 10:52 pm

After the shooting/break-in I realized that no one would help you very quickly.

Does not matter how much there is out there about caring for the community people don’t care about anyone but themselves.

Can I fault them? Not really?

But am I going to go out of my way to help after this whole thing, probably not.

No one even cared to ask if I was ok or anything.

And the neighbors involved harassed us.

So please tell me why I need to care about other people's problems?

I don’t mean pretending to care, I can do that. But actual caring, no. It’s not worth it.

At the end of the day we are all out for ourselves.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 9:16 am

You don't. It's good to care for others and their problems, but one should think twice before doing so at the expense of their own well being. If you have your own problems or anything at all that takes a lot of energy out of you, you don't need to care for others. Take care of yourself and, if you have any energy left over from that, you can use it to care for other people's problems if you want to.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:20 am

Last edited by Lunella on 06 May 2021, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:28 am

CollegeGirlAnon wrote:
After the shooting/break-in I realized that no one would help you very quickly.  Does not matter how much there is out there about caring for the community people don’t care about anyone but themselves.  Can I fault them?  Not really?  But am I going to go out of my way to help after this whole thing, probably not.  No one even cared to ask if I was ok or anything.  And the neighbors involved harassed us.  So please tell me why I need to care about other people's problems?  I don't mean pretending to care, I can do that.  But actual caring, no.  It's not worth it.  At the end of the day we are all out for ourselves.
All of this makes perfect sense.  Caring about people who could not care less about you seems pointless.  Helping people who would never lift a finger to help you seems even more pointless.  Someone recently posted on this website the words, "Never set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm" -- I think these are words to live by.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 10:35 am

A man's car stopped running. A woman and I pushed the car. The man offered me five bucks. I accepted. The man offered the woman cash. "It's good to help people. Thank you for letting us help you"

My services worth one penny. He gave me five bucks. He helped me 4.99.

Her services worth one penny. She claimed a Nobel Prize Award. He helped her a Nobel Prize Award

Precious lil "people" keep saying "may I help you?" And "are you ok?". They make a mountain out of a molehill.

They act like they dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building. But all they did was flap their beak or do their job (sometimes badly).

They act like they are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

They call themselves clinical psychologist

Psychobabble Extroverts are like that

:nerdy: :mrgreen:

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2021, 10:56 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
A man's car stopped running. A woman and I pushed the car. The man offered me five bucks. I accepted. The man offered the woman cash. "It's good to help people. Thank you for letting us help you"

My services worth one penny. He gave me five bucks. He helped me 4.99.

Her services worth one penny. She claimed a Nobel Prize Award. He helped her a Nobel Prize Award

Precious lil "people" keep saying "may I help you?" And "are you ok?". They make a mountain out of a molehill.

They act like they dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building. But all they did was flap their beak or do their job (sometimes badly).

They act like they are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

They call themselves clinical psychologist

Psychobabble Extroverts are like that

:nerdy: :mrgreen:

That is your perspective on therapy and psychology.

I have a very different one, keep that in mind.

And my therapists services are worth much more than one penny.

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2021, 10:59 am

Fnord wrote:
CollegeGirlAnon wrote:
After the shooting/break-in I realized that no one would help you very quickly.  Does not matter how much there is out there about caring for the community people don’t care about anyone but themselves.  Can I fault them?  Not really?  But am I going to go out of my way to help after this whole thing, probably not.  No one even cared to ask if I was ok or anything.  And the neighbors involved harassed us.  So please tell me why I need to care about other people's problems?  I don't mean pretending to care, I can do that.  But actual caring, no.  It's not worth it.  At the end of the day we are all out for ourselves.
All of this makes perfect sense.  Caring about people who could not care less about you seems pointless.  Helping people who would never lift a finger to help you seems even more pointless.  Someone recently posted on this website the words, "Never set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm" -- I think these are words to live by.

Basically I do try and be prosocial when I can be (never to these two just to clarify).

Mainly to make things nicer for myself, and when it benefits others that is a bonus.

To me if you do not take care of yourself then you cannot help anyone else.

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2021, 11:00 am

Lunella wrote:
If you are mentally unwell you don't have to go out of your way to care about others as you're not strong enough you're like exempt from doing anything until your own head is sorted out.

Not everyone is out for themselves there's just a lot of bad people in the world and you have to try to figure out who the greedy/selfish bad ones are and who the empathetic nice people are who would do anything for anyone, those are the ones worth worrying about.

Empathy does not mean someone is nice and caring.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 11:08 am

Sure, help those in obvious, desperate need -- people drowning or trapped in burning cars, that sort of thing; but expect nothing in return.  I used to help friends and family whenever they needed it for the slightest errand -- bring them an extra loaf of bread while at the store, for example.  When a "perfect storm" of events left me homeless, did any of them make any effort to provide relief?

No.  Not a single one.

Do any of them deserve any more help from me?

No.  Not a single one.

Yet, ten years later, when I got back on my feet and re-established myself as a wage-earner and property-owner, many of them came around with their well-rehearsed "old buddy, old pal" routines and tried to get me to "loan" them a few thousand bucks because they could barely manage their own money.

Effem.  Effem all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 06 May 2021, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 11:13 am

CollegeGirlAnon wrote:
Empathy does not mean someone is nice and caring.
The word "empathy" is being tossed around so much that it has lost any meaning beyond being another hypocritical signal of false virtue among those seeking sympathy only for themselves.

Saying "I empathize with you" means the same as saying "My thoughts and prayers are with you"; that is, "I really do not care for you; but I want you to think that I am a nice person anyway".

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2021, 11:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Sure, help those in obvious, desperate need -- people drowning or trapped in burning cars, that sort of thing; but expect nothing in return.  I used to help friends and family whenever they needed it for the slightest errand -- bring them an extra loaf of bread while at the store, for example.  When a "perfect storm" of events left me homeless, did any of them make any effort to provide relief?

No.  Not a single one.

Do any of them deserve any more help from me?

No.  Not a single one.

Yet, ten years later, when I got back on my feet and re-established myself as a wage-earner and property-owner, many of them came around with their well-rehearsed "old buddy, old pal" routines and tried to get me to "loan" them a few thousand bucks because they could barely manage their own money.

Effem.  Effem all.

Yes, if someone needs to be rescued in a life or death situation I would help if I had the ability (and no I would not expect anything in return).

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2021, 12:31 pm

Also, to any kids on here, think long and hard before trying a drug like crack cocaine.

Buckle yourself in for a tough life of no sympathy.

Think about how I do not care about my crackhead neighbors.

And their Facebook pages confirm that they are crackheads btw.