Rage and stupidity (mine)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 1:52 pm

Nearly got into a fight with some builders today.

The last couple of days, there's been guys putting up scaffolding prior to doing some work on the roof. I could could cope with the noise of the actual work. What I couldn't handle was their special hardened building-site radio blasting Radio 1 at nightclub-for-the-deaf volumes directly into my bedroom from six feet away. In the second day of this, trying to get some rest before my evening shift, I completely lost it. I went outside intending to politely ask them to turn it down, saw the radio right outside and the builders all down the far end where they couldn't even hear it.

From their point of view, presumably being unaware that the noise was a problem, some lunatic burst out of the building, started screaming abuse at them, then began fiddling with the radio and finally threatened to lob it over a wall. I dropped it when they came over. One of them got up in my face, demanding £200 for the radio (which was completely undamaged, still blaring out at top volume.) I got right back up in his face. I estimate the tips of our noses were less than 5 milimeteres apart. That's as far as it went, fortunately.

So now I have this situation where I'm trapped living in a building site where I've made an enemy of someone with ample opportunity to smash a twenty-foot steel pole through my window, based on a grudge where I am in the wrong but I refuse to back down because it'll result in him extorting money from me. The music is still on full blast and now I do not think I can do anything about that. I am a ****ing genius, right?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 4:59 pm

Just don't bring attention to yourself.

I bet the guy forgot the incident the next day.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 7:03 am

Sage words!

The scaffolders have been replaced by the actual roofers today, who are a lovely bunch by comparison. I guess that as they're usually on site for longer, they've had to learn to be more considerate. If I come back between shifts to see the scaffolding truck, I might just go lie down in the park for five hours instead of risking more aggro. Really, really hate having this side to me.