Why am I feeling like this ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2021, 1:43 pm

I feel like the only one choosing to not going to other places I used to enjoy going to during this period and I see people who are still doing that as if there is no virus around such as people in a group at a pub and it makes me quite envious and frustrated because I want to return to doing that again even though I don't really go to pubs but a part of me feels I can't because of the virus and continue to stay home. I seem to think I have chosen the wrong thing to continue to avoid going out to places that I used to do before all this and that by not doing that it is a waste of time and that life is too short to be wasted by not doing something even in times of crisis. I am always feeling I am living with this anxiety for a life sentence while this is going on and that I'll never be comfortable about going out again :(

KimD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2021, 2:47 pm

Your mixed feelings (akin to mine) are perfectly natural, and not a bad thing at all. We're being cautious in the face of a great unknown and ongoing, evolving risk. The question to ask yourself is if your caution is causing more harm than good. You might try going out in baby steps; try a picnic with one other person, or an outdoor concert. Wise people all over the world are being deliberately careful rather than impulsive. Go on out, but don't rush yourself. You're probably not missing as much as you think/feel you are, if anything.

Western society is fond of the go-go-go, do-do-do, more-more-more mentality. It's fine for some people, but to extreme degrees, it's not healthy. The stress of always being busy, the expense, and the exclusion of other activities exacts a toll that some people are only beginning to see. The whole idea of having to carve out some "me time" comes from the realization that we're doing too much.

For millennia, humans have spent time attending to the most basic needs and, when there was time, the simplest of pleasures. Other cultures, to this day, recognize the value in being content and also...simply...being, even in solitude. Get to know yourself, and find what YOU feel comfortable, rather than what society tells you you're supposed to want. Set your own standards for your own life, at your own pace.

chris1989
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2021, 4:19 pm

I feel like the caution that has been ingrained in me is making me more frustrated and unhappy that I can't put myself in other peoples' shoes who going about life as normal as though nothing is going on.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2021, 8:39 pm

I hear you. This is doubly confusing for me since i live with my elderly parents and when friends invite me to their homes, or to eat out it just stresses me out.

I am unemployed and not even looking for a job rn since my job is very much open to risk. But they act like i am the odd one out for not wanting to get covid. As if the pandemic will disappear if i act like it doesn't exist.