Never been so poor in all my life

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:17 pm

I did actually manage to find a £10 note (me with ADHD there are probably bits of change and notes floating around the apartment), so we went out and got several bottles of juice that will last us way beyond our next grocery shopping. So that was lucky. I don't mind drinking tap water if it's mixed with juice.
But we only have bills once a month, so on the week where the most bills come in we are broke, but not the other 3 weeks of the month.

I do try to talk to my boyfriend about it but he just says "all you women think about is money". I understand that, as his ex-wife did steal all his money off him in the past, but he knows I'm not going to do that and I won't. And women do think about money more because most of us have an addict to shopping and getting our hair done and so on. Life just sucks when you barely have money to yourself each week.

This is why I disagree with lockdowns. It ruins businesses and causes people to lose their jobs, then some of these people practically get punished by the government for being out of work and claiming. We live in a town that has a high rate of unemployment and now the pandemic has made it worse. There are more people out of work and less jobs to go around.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 11:59 am

I've known multiple couples where the woman is the primary caretaker of the family's finances, and the men are clueless. After my friend's sister in law passed, her husband came to her for help with the finances because he was lost.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 2:37 pm

Women are historically good with money because they've had to raise their children and stretch money for their family's wellbeing. That's not to say some didn't scam men, or some men didn't scam women, but I think women know more about money and budgeting than many give them credit for.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 2:46 pm

I'm not very good at anything to do with numbers as I have dyscalculia, although I do know how to be sensible with money. But my boyfriend is the one that keeps track of all the income and he does all the sums and keeps every wage slip (or pay cheque) in a tin. He's good with numbers and very systematic. So he has all the proof where our money is going but because of my dyscalculia I find it difficult to take in.

But to top it all off we have to pay a fine for something we didn't even do, but we have no proof that we didn't do it so we just have to pay up, but it isn't fair because we don't have the money to waste on fines we were falsely accused of. So that is really stressing me too. Today at work I kind of went around in a daze and felt mentally exhausted and just wanted to go home, get into bed and put on DVDs or sleep to shut all the stress out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

What were you fined for?

I believe you.

I had to pay $150 for something I didn't do recently. I parked properly----but the cop thought I parked in the bus stop area. I wish I knew I had the ticket before I started the car, so I could have photograph where my car was in the parking spot.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 4:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What were you fined for?

I believe you.

I had to pay $150 for something I didn't do recently. I parked properly----but the cop thought I parked in the bus stop area. I wish I knew I had the ticket before I started the car, so I could have photograph where my car was in the parking spot.

He got accused of parking his car for more than 3 hours in the supermarket car park (parking lot), but he didn't, he went to the supermarket in the morning (was there no longer than 20 minutes) then returned that afternoon because he had forgotten something, but the cameras seemed to have taken a picture of his car going in the first time and coming out the second time, so it looked like he was parked there all that time but he wasn't, he just returned later the same day. And at this supermarket there is no rule against returning the same day, the fine system is only in place to stop people taking advantage of the car park (like using the car park like a driveway).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:16 pm

I'm glad you found that 10 Pound note.

I wish I had found $10 when my girlfriend and I had to eat rice and paprika for a week back in 1981.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:19 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not very good at anything to do with numbers as I have dyscalculia, although I do know how to be sensible with money. But my boyfriend is the one that keeps track of all the income and he does all the sums and keeps every wage slip (or pay cheque) in a tin. He's good with numbers and very systematic. So he has all the proof where our money is going but because of my dyscalculia I find it difficult to take in.

But to top it all off we have to pay a fine for something we didn't even do, but we have no proof that we didn't do it so we just have to pay up, but it isn't fair because we don't have the money to waste on fines we were falsely accused of. So that is really stressing me too. Today at work I kind of went around in a daze and felt mentally exhausted and just wanted to go home, get into bed and put on DVDs or sleep to shut all the stress out.

Re: The parking fine
Do you have the two different receipts from the shop? Do the purchases show separately on your credit card or online banking?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Re: The parking fine
Do you have the two different receipts from the shop? Do the purchases show separately on your credit card or online banking?

This was nearly 2 weeks ago (just got the letter yesterday) so we don't have the receipts any more. My boyfriend doesn't keep receipts from supermarkets for more than a couple of days.