Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

I needed a new car because I only had a compact, and the electric scooter I use due to a disability was very hard to lift into the trunk. I used to do it, but then my husband began lifting it in. However, he has a painful disk condition in his back and shouldn't be lifting anything heavy. So our solution is to get a larger vehicle, which we are going to get a lift for.

This was a major and expensive purchase, and it took quite a lot of nerve. I decided to sink some money into a good car because when my husband needs to go into care for his dementia, or get more home visits, and be on Medicaid, they allow you to own a house and a car, but require you to spend down your cash to a low level.

Anyway, we went to the dealership this morning and finalized the sale and purchased insurance. And drove the new car home. The lift will be installed in a few days.

I have just been sitting watching tv and fooling around online. I was getting to a point of feeling overwhelmed at the dealership, but made it through and got home again. Still, this was a big deal for me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:37 am

Very nice. What colour is it?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 10:45 am

Make/model? Car ppl are always curious. And whether new or old, $500, $5,000, or $50,000 - congrats! New to you cars are always something to celebrate. Have a piece of cake or something. 8)

My brothers ex-MIL needed a newer vehicle that could accommodate her scooter she sometimes uses due to MS. They wanted another Honda or Toyota product. I recommended a Venza. Her husband didn't think it would fit their needs. They shopped around a bit.. and bought a white Venza a few years ago. 8)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:42 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Very nice. What colour is it?

Red, and I had to pay extra for it. I said to the salesman (a nice man I have dealt with before), "This is the last car I will ever buy*, and it might as well be RED!"

* I'm in my late 60s. I tend to keep a car a long time... by the time this one is used up, I will be very superannuated and probably ready to give up driving.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:49 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Make/model? Car ppl are always curious. And whether new or old, $500, $5,000, or $50,000 - congrats! New to you cars are always something to celebrate. Have a piece of cake or something. 8)

My brothers ex-MIL needed a newer vehicle that could accommodate her scooter she sometimes uses due to MS. They wanted another Honda or Toyota product. I recommended a Venza. Her husband didn't think it would fit their needs. They shopped around a bit.. and bought a white Venza a few years ago. 8)

It's a Honda Odyssey EX, 2022 model year. Brand new. Price was somewhere in the 30 thousands, I had a trade-in and put $5K down on it, making it reasonable to finance. The lift will run me about $4K more.

To some readers who are barely scraping by, I'm sorry if this sounds like a lot of money to you. Hubby and I have a reasonably comfortable retirement after working hard most of our lives. However, as I said in the OP, his dementia care is going to threaten us with spousal impoverishment unless we play our cards right.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:51 am

Congratulations!

Do you have a "handicap" sticker? (you probably do---just thought I'd ask).

You definitely deserve to splurge after all you've been through.

Is your husband still able to drive?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Congratulations!

Do you have a "handicap" sticker? (you probably do---just thought I'd ask).

You definitely deserve to splurge after all you've been through.

Is your husband still able to drive?

I have handicap plates. My husband gave up driving about 3 or 4 years ago and surrendered his license.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:03 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It's a Honda Odyssey EX, 2022 model year. Brand new. Price was somewhere in the 30 thousands, I had a trade-in and put $5K down on it, making it reasonable to finance. The lift will run me about $4K more.

To some readers who are barely scraping by, I'm sorry if this sounds like a lot of money to you. Hubby and I have a reasonably comfortable retirement after working hard most of our lives. However, as I said in the OP, his dementia care is going to threaten us with spousal impoverishment unless we play our cards right.

Oooh, congrats! New car smell and all. 8)

My friend's marketing guy recently bought a quite old silver Honda Odyssey for $1500 and as long as the emissions issue is cheap to fix he's going to put big wheels on it and slam it on it's nuts on coilover suspension - just to look VIP cool while driving his kids around.

Somehow I don't envision you doing those ~$4k in mods to yours. :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:57 pm

Congratulations , am happy for you .. brand new cars are really nice….. Enjoy the hec out of it . :)
Think you got a very good brand and hope the lift becomes a great benefit to you !

where ever you go ,there you are