Does anyone else just want to move to a fictional life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 3:33 am

I feel like I would rather live in a fictional or cartoon universe than the real one. Does anyone feel that way? Real society right now sucks badly and it's going to get worse. It makes most fictional societies look more sane and reality is actually more scary than many horror films.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:15 am

I'm sorry you feel this way, my friend.

I know I can't wait for this COVID crap to end.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:45 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Does anyone else just want to move to a fictional life?
Since my dream job is "Starship Captain", and starships are fictional, my answer is 'Yes'.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

We all live in a fictional universe. Ego death brings up closer to objective perception, but we are still limited by our experiences and observations.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 8:55 am

I'd like to live in the Simpsons world. It seems so fun there and everything's so brightly-coloured. Nobody seems to age either, although some people die there, but dying is rare so you're more guaranteed to have everyone you love around you forever. Also there doesn't seem to be any 'normal' or 'abnormal' people, so if you're autistic you'll probably never get a label and will just be accepted as another funny Springfield resident.

Yep, I love the quaint town of Springfield. I visit it very often on my TV, but sadly I can never live there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 9:13 am

I get more scared of things in "fantasy" worlds than in the Real World.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:04 am

Yes, definitely. I would love to live in a Korean drama.

SadGhost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2021, 10:46 am

Yes. It's more due to the fact that autism and mental illness have made my life a living hell rather than current happenings or anything like that. I often fantasize about having friends in a fictional universe.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 11:09 am

I would be more than happy to live in on a wormhole spaceship in Becky Chamber's 'Wayfarer's' fictional universe.

Varied travel opportunities, a general appreciation and acceptance of diversity and the chance to meet sentient alien species. Seems way more interesting than having to spend most days interacting with and pandering to the expectations of the PNT population here.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 3:31 pm

Yes.

Don't know which.
All I know is that I'm bored.

In real life, my main complaint is the circumstances actually outside my control.

This circumstances of mine have these constraints when it comes to certain aspects of freedom of access.

The only way to defy it, so far, is either sheer luck, distress everyone I know because I'm taking the risk, breaking the law because screw them all...

Or pray in the next 2 to 10+ years economy or the system itself changes, which still boils down to luck really.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 3:35 pm

I've always wished that I was an NPC in a Zelda game, or really any fantasy-adventure game. Real life is so stressful, and the NPCs in those games get to live relatively benign lives in absolutely beautiful settings.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 4:17 pm

I definitely feel like that right now.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 4:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know I can't wait for this COVID crap to end.

Like many others just like you Sir Kraftie, I also can't wait for COVID to go away for good.

@OP: No thank you, I am happy with my current life.

Thinking of a fictional life just makes me uncomfortable and I'm thinking of all movies The Truman Show.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 3:04 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I feel like I would rather live in a fictional or cartoon universe than the real one. Does anyone feel that way? Real society right now sucks badly and it's going to get worse. It makes most fictional societies look more sane and reality is actually more scary than many horror films.

I don't feel drawn to any particular fictional universe myself, but, for those who are, I would like to point out that there are quite a few people who have created real-life alternative extended families based on some fictional universe.

According to what my boyfriend has told me, alternative extended families of this kind seem to be especially common in the San Francisco Bay area, especially Berkeley.

Alternative extended families of this kind could most likely be formed within relevant fandoms.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 9:55 pm

Yes. I created a fictional world during the pandemic and started writing a story based on it. It’s my escape. I’d love to live in Animal Crossing or the Style Savvy universe though.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 10:22 pm

If I lived a fictional existence, wouldn't that make whatever happens to me inconsequential, because it's fiction? :scratch:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う