Framework for Care of Upset Person

Page 14 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:41 am

At least when it's on a forum you have a chance to review what you've said/written and think about it and cood down before you actually send it.

I do it all the time. I'm forever not sending posts.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:06 am

Thank you. This has been quite useful.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

PunkShrink
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2021, 1:17 pm

Cornflake wrote:
In these cases there is often much discussion hidden from public view in PMs; thus it was with badRobot, and he'd already been warned several times about his behavior and disruptive influence on threads.
This wasn't the first instance of his intransigence and refusal to accept moderator direction, and endlessly arguing the toss at every opportunity.

Respectfully, discussion of banned members and why they were banned is also prohibited by the site rules:
viewtopic.php?t=263570

Further, content may not be used or copied without the consent of the site owner:
https://wrongplanet.net/terms-of-use/

OK, the last message on this subject then. These are pretty general thoughts, not unique to this person.

As a person with experience in conflict resolution I recognize his involvement but fail to see his disruptive influence. On the opposite, I see an easily influenced and provoked person, it would be one of my main points talking to him about his behavior. Being blind to being provoked is very common among people on the spectrum. It is worth investigating if there is a consistent pattern of problematic behavior expressed by different members, including previously banned, associated with interaction with the same people again and again. If there is such correlation, these people are the true "influencers" who should be dealt with. Subtle provocation and gaslighting are very common forms of toxic behavior that can go unnoticed for decades.

I believe the healthiest reaction for everyone involved is to share responsibility, in the end it takes two to tango. For example, undesired behavior in this case could have been avoided, resolved by page 4. What moderator had done, even though with the best intentions, was counterproductive, poring water on a grease fire. It would make sense to address demeaning "fish" reply to avoid accusations of taking sides and to validate expressed opinion while offering constructive resolution. It would have saved a lot of trouble. Keeping it in mind will save us a lot of trouble in the future.

A very wise man once said, "the way you do it is redirect the energy from fighting to finding solutions by skillfully using knowledge on what that person likes and what calms them".

Indeed these are inspiring words to live by! Wishing you all the very best!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 1:27 pm

PunkShrink wrote:
... A very wise man once said, "the way you do it is redirect the energy from fighting to finding solutions by skillfully using knowledge on what that person likes and what calms them".  Indeed these are inspiring words to live by! Wishing you all the very best!
Very wise words, indeed ... if the goal on all sides is conflict resolution!  However, if one or more parties in the conflict is interested only in winning the conflict to have her/his way, then sharing the wisdom of those words is useless.

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." -- Jesus of Nazareth, as recorded by Matthew the tax collector